My 1960s Hobby Shop and Modelling Work Space

I always wanted a work shop that resembled my old, favorite Hobby Store in 1960's Park Ridge, IL.  My dad and I would walk to this shop every Saturday and pick up a kit.  Thus my love of military aviation was born.  My town had a knack for producing military aviators, four on my block alone:  2 Army Aviators (one was me), 1 USAF pilot and 1 Naval Aviator.  My town also shared in the loss of two Naval Aviators, 1 USMC and 1 USN in Vietnam.  But here are photos of my collection that I started collecting since high school.  One of my valued kits is signed by Navy Cross winner, Captain Grant C. Young who put the last torpedo into the Yamato.  Its also signed by Monogram Model's founder Bob Reder, two great guys I had the pleasure of meeting.  (That isn't laundry hanging from the ceiling, but my collection of flying suits to decorate the place.)

Enjoy a stroll down memory lane!

IMGP1322

photo 4 (2)

photo 2 (4)

photo 3 (5)photo 1 (5)

IMG_1611IMG_1609Insert other media

IMG_2745

IMG_2385

IMG_2384

IMG_2383

IMG_2381

photo (6)

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 53

2 minutes ago, CMSCHLOM said:

I always wanted a work shop that resembled my old, favorite Hobby Store in 1960's Park Ridge, IL. 

There really is a sizable Illinois contingent here, isn't there? I love the way your work area is set up.

• Like 1

You should try RAM Hobbies.  The owner has been there since 1967.  When you walk in, it really is like going back in time 50 years!  And you can find some real jewels like a 1980s Hasegawa 1/48 F-15 with ASAT missile.  Way up on the top shelf!

• Thanks 1

Wow that is amazing....what a flashback! 

Thanks so much for posting. 

My memories are of Saturday mornings of the lower level of Kresges at Evergreen Plaza in the mid-60's with my grandmother.

She buy me a kit just for going shopping with her. Then it was Hobby City on 95th st in Evergreen....I was a fixture there especially on Saturday morning.

Then it was the ultimate in hobby shops....The Squadron Shop in Elmhurst on rt 83 and North Ave. every Sunday after hockey and brunch with my girl friend...now wife of 30 years.

Sweet days indeed.

All the Best!

Don

Edited by DJJunis

Wow! I'm reminded of what Howard Carter said when he took his first look in to the tomb of Tutankhamen.  'Can you see anything?' asked Lord Carnarvon,  'Yes, wonderful things' Carter replied. This is a real treasure trove, if ever I've seen one.   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I know that feeling. :) A most impressive stash, I think you might have more than me, & mines into the several hundreds 

Steve.

Steve, those are the kits I kept!  I sold 3/4 of my collection a year ago.  It filled my two car garage chest high.  I kept these for sentimental reasons and for the beautiful box art.

Thanks for a trip down memory lane! :D

I've seen a lot of those kits as a kid, so it was fun seeing them again.

I'm particular glad to see that you also have a 1/50 UPC Mitsubishi Type 10 Torpedo Bomber! I thought I was the only one! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen

7 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Thanks for a trip down memory lane! :D

I've seen a lot of those kits as a kid, so it was fun seeing them again.

I'm particular glad to see that you also have a 1/50 UPC Mitsubishi Type 10 Torpedo Bomber! I thought I was the only one! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Hans, Just for you!

photo (5)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

Lovely! :D

Not many of them around - and info's on the plane is even scarcer on line!:hmmm:

Hans J

Hans, what I do know about this plane, is that it was originally developed by the British for the Imperial Japanese Navy.  There were very few built however, as the aircraft was very difficult to handle on both take off and landing aboard aircraft carriers.  But it is an interesting looking plane, no doubt.

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 1

Wow that’s wonderful, it always was, as a kid (and still is), such a comforting feeling walking into your local model shop, look at the kits and just dream of the possibilities, you’ve surely captured that there!

• Like 1

What a fantastic collection, some exotic stuff I've never seen before.

When I was a kid there were 3 proper model shops (not counting newsagents) within cycling distance of where I lived in South Manchester, just the one now.

Pete