academy 1/48 p47d

hello folks,

just finished this....wonderful kit.  the shortcomings are purely down to me.  i went with sky for undersides and raf dark grreen for uppers.  I know this may provoke some debate :jabber:

only build issue was the pilot seat kept falling out so i put some plasticard between seat and frame.

load out might not be accurate but.....

anyway, painted with tamiya acrylics and some home brew zinc chromate...

DSC_5526

DSC_5527

DSC_5529

DSC_5530

DSC_5528

• Like 13

WOW!! That is an absolute beauty outstanding! I’d be super proud of that and have it on display, in fact I’d bring it everywhere with me and display it at the office, in the car....

I was researching last night and read RAF paints were used on American aircraft based here... so I thinks it’s accurate enough and it certainly wears it well

lovely work

• Like 2

Hello Lawzer ... Great looking  78th Fighter group Jug :thumbsup: ... the colors are fine to me. Your loadout is fine the 8th Fighter command was used to soften targets in the beachhead area during “Big week” the Run up to the invasion. They also flew support during operation cobra, and were used in various ground attack duties post november ‘44. So i think your good. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I have to say I love the detail on those tyres - the 'tread' looks fantastic.

I meant to put some brown wash onto them to simulate mud....yeah this is a really nice kit.

And it comes with like 3 sets of main wheels and 2 sprues of armaments and a few other extra parts (guess to build different versions).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

Pardon my ignorance but...  Are the chequers on the nose a decal or did you have to paint and mask it all...

It''s 2 decals....don't look too close though as you may notice the "touch up" paint job as i couldn't quite get them to meet 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Latinbear said:

Is that the one you bought from me? A lovely job and if it is the one then very nice to see it completed and having gone to a good home. 

Sure is sir!  And i recall a real bargain 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Smashing build Lawzer. I was about to congratulate you on painting the chequerboard until I saw your answer to Big X. Congrats are still in order for getting the decals down.:thumbsup2:

Yeah i'd been warned that the decals may be "tricky".....

it sat built for about 3 weeks before i plucked up the courage to sticker it up 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Yeah i'd been warned that the decals may be "tricky".....

it sat built for about 3 weeks before i plucked up the courage to sticker it up 😄

Decaltastic matey

• Haha 1