Pocher Alfa-Romeo (K73)

eksund

Hello!

After my latest success with completing a Pocher Fiat kit I decided it was time to start a new challenge.

The building of a partially started (not by me) kit of an Alfa Romeo by Pocher.

The kit have some warped plastic and some very brittle dito.

The kit is complete, but I have ordered a new set of decals.

Well here we go!

151688482522824900_resized.jpg

151688482638394600_resized.jpg

151688482627150100_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a fun project and it will give Codger another Pocher to enjoy! I know that the Alfa can be a bit of a challenge due to various body fit issues and I know that cylinder head usually is slightly warped. I had 5 or 6 Alfa's at one point and every one had a twist in the head. 

If you don't have one, then, you might want to get Paul Koo's DVD for the Alfa. It's definitely worth the money especially for the Spyder. I'm looking forward to having another Pocher build on the forum, the more the merrier!

^^^^^^

My friend above knows me well - we can't have too many Pocher classic builds. :wicked:

Welcome to the forum as there's much good help and advice here should you need it. The first advice I can give is that Pochers do not go together like Tamiyas. Expect, warps, brittle plastic, holes that are too small and in the wrong place. Consider moving the engine back 10 mm - and this is all just for starters! :wall:

Even box-stock, it will make a lovely model. Thank you for bringing a classic here and proceed to dazzle us !

Paul Koo:s dvd:s are, at least for me, a must. I have bought 4 of them to my variuos kit:s awating on the shelf.

I had not been able to finish the Fiat without them. 

I intend to do at least new sparkplugs and tilt the spare tires and move the engine backwards and......and.... and...

Then I se some builds here, that are so marvelous with so many details that my ego get a real punch! 

There is so much you can do to improve a kit, but it requires skill that I not have. So my goal will

be a resonable corrected kit, built with some minor detail upgrades. 

The main challenge with those old pocher kits is the build sequence. You are forced to build a part to fit it with

som other part and then dissasemble the newly built part to be able to fit something else to it. And there is why

Paul Koo:s dvd:s are invaluable. 

Well enough "pladder" for this time.

Full respect to you pal!  Straight in at the deep end, that's what I like to see! I only want to do one pocher kit....and that's the Alfa "Muletto". I'll never buy it though, cos I can make it myself at a fraction of the price with the available ref. material that's online. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do! You are among very like-minded people, so bring it on!! Welcome to the madness btw!!:clap2:

Cheers.,H

I was of a like mind when I started building my Mercedes but, as the build dragged on, for over a year and a half, I changed a lot of what I had originally intended. You will find that as you go on through the build your skills will get better and with enough egging on from others, Codger, you will find yourself making changes that, weren't originally planned. So, never say never. 

Harvey, I had a Muletto and the only difference that I could see between it and the Monza was that it was molded in white plastic. I have a Monza in my stash that, I began modifying to essentially be like the Muletto and if you can paint the red to white you can make it for a lot less.

• 1 month later...

Nearly two months has passed. I´ve done som cleaning up of plastic parts, testfitting of the chassie and.....

The wheels are terrible to get right. I blame the plastic parts in the hub and the very lousy jig. I should have 

made myself a new jig of metal, but.. done is done. Some pics of the wheels completed except for the tire.

The tire is very, very hard to mount. I have tried to heat them carefully and it helped some.

152112546333765700_resized.jpg

152112546415233100_resized.jpg

152112546524611800_resized.jpg

For your next wire-wheeled Pocher; a good help to better wheels is getting the spoke nipples flush into the plastic rings. By carefully pressing them down with a warm soldering iron, you sink them into the plastic. Then a drop of CA secures them permanently. Also make sure the three screws in the metal rings holding the 5 wheel parts together are down flush - or the tire will be bulged out where it meets them. I glued the 5 parts together on the edge after construction then removed the screws. Yes making a better jig is worth the time.

A brief soak of the tires into heated water will make them workable. Dry the insides so the rims don't rust. A better but more expensive solution is the ModelMotorcars tires. :)

• Like 1