Mosquito exhausts

DarylH

I'm about to start a 1:48 Mk.XVI Mosquito and I have a couple of questions about exhaust stacks.

From my research it appears that the Mk.XVIs have six stacks on each side of the engines and the earlier Mk.s have five and are often shrouded.

Is this generally correct?

Also, have any resin casters offered the six stack set-up for sale?

I've yet to find any.

And in answer to the first part of the question: yes.

On Mosquitoes with the shorter single-stage supercharged engine installation, the rearmost sixth exhaust stack, in its natural location, would be too close to the wooden leading edge for comfort. So the rearmost exhaust ports are siamesed forward into the fifth stack. 

On the two-stage supercharged installations the extra supercharger bulk moves the engine block far enough forward that reverting to the usual six stack setup is okay.

51 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

And in answer to the first part of the question: yes.

On Mosquitoes with the shorter single-stage supercharged engine installation, the rearmost sixth exhaust stack, in its natural location, would be too close to the wooden leading edge for comfort. So the rearmost exhaust ports are siamesed forward into the fifth stack. 

On the two-stage supercharged installations the extra supercharger bulk moves the engine block far enough forward that reverting to the usual six stack setup is okay.

I thought that might be the case. Thank you for the confirmation.

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

On Mosquitoes with the shorter single-stage supercharged engine installation, the rearmost sixth exhaust stack, in its natural location, would be too close to the wooden leading edge for comfort.

Not true, the problem was hot exhaust gases from the inboard stacks being ingested into the radiators/oil coolers, which required the aft cylinder exhaust to be siamesed with the cylinder forward of it to ensure the exhaust gases were ejected under the wing.

British built Mosquitos were invariably fitted with the same style exhaust arrangement on inboard and outboard sides of the nacelle.

Some Australian built Mosquitos with single stage Merlins were fitted with siamesed five stack exhausts on the nboard sides of the engine and separate six stack exhaust ejectors on the outboard sides of the engine with no detrimental effects to the wing leading edge, the exhaust was far enough forward for the gas to pass under the wing on the outboard side.

So, if you spot a photo of a single stage Mosquito with 6 stack exhausts, these will only be on the outboard sides, the difficult to see (at the same time in the same photo) inboard stacks will be 5 stack with the aft pair siamesed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1