Windows 10 upgrade fails

I am a complete numpty as far as computers are concerned so please bear with me.

Windows 10 has been driving me nuts over the last week with update attempts.

It appears I am on version 1607 and it is trying to install version 1709.

Machine was downloading and installing for three hours yesterday then spent another half hour restoring previous version of windows.

Notifications give me error code 0x8007041d Tonight's error code at a faster rate was 00x80070652.

I googled then downloaded a fix which scanned the computer and told me I had 1335 issues. It then asked what licence I was going to buy to fix it.  I binned that one.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

If you are having upgrade issues, best bet is to talk to Microsoft. I had issues with mine and my sons computer and on both occasions they were very helpful and they are good at talking you through. Windows error codes are pretty useless to a non expert. Windows 10 is sometimes reluctant to upgrade and can take ages, if you not upgraded for a while it wants to play catch up which is frustrating 

Just go to Microsoft website relating to reinstalling windows. With windows 10 it is a very easy process. Make sure you backup important data first.  There are technical steps which you may find tricky to understand( based on your own description of your abilities :)  ) so next step is ask a friend or family member to guide you along. 

I am assuming you have a legal copy of windows 10 already installed.

4 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Any suggestions appreciated.

Windows 7?  :whistle:

Only ever had to reinstall that one after hardware failure.....My how technology progresses.  :mellow:

PS - Having said that Microsoft have gone to great pains to make installing Windows 7 as tedious as possible ever since 10 came out, but once you do eventually get it updated.....

• Like 1

• Greg B locked this topic