Napier Railton

Hi chaps! 

At the moment I'm working on the Fiat 806, as I'm sure most of you know!

Was browsing on the net the other day and came across the 24l Napier Railton again from '33. What a f****** beast!!! Absolutely gorgeous she is.... well before her time , as I'm sure, most will agree. I think it's almost steampunk in it's design and am totally intrigued by it! This WILL be my next project (full-scratch, of course!.....!)1/8 scale this time, as well!  Have spoke to the curator of Brooklands museum, who now own it and apparently, no blueprints exist, but, we having a natter tomorrow. He seems quite interested in the project, too! This is a record-breaker and a thoroughly stunning-looking motor, so, my plea goes out to you all.....please donate any ref. that you may have! ! This car deserves modelling! 

Cheers, H

• Like 5

Is it just me or does that look like quite a large car! 

It is beautiful indeed. Perhaps powerful too, at 24 litres :)  They weren't fooling around. 

For the Delage I'm planning to elaborately describe the methods I'll try to use for measuring the car; perhaps that could be of any use if and when you'll get the chance to measure this car. Fortunately there are already some drawings to start from (you probably found them already when googling 'napier railton drawing', so it's a matter of getting those drawings corrected. Which is not to say it's going to be an easy task. 

Walkaround: 

• Like 1

What scale are you going to build it in?

It's a natural follow on from the Birkin Bentley, taking over the Brooklands lap record.  Great to see another 1930s racer being modelled.

Understandably no blueprints for the car as a whole, but I'm sure that plans will exist for the Railton chassis; and also its Napier Sea Lion engine. I dare say that you also know about the Cummins diesel-supported replica, which I'm sure will have modern design data for the bodywork.

I've seen this beast run many times and it's always a memorable occasion!

Looking forward to seeing what you get up to.

I used to be a marshal for the Bentley Drivers' Club at their annual Silverstone meeting and I'm sure I have pics around somewhere. I'll have to have a dig.

It was hugely spectacular as it headed down the old starting straight spinning its rear wheels, then letting out an enormous crackling roar as the throttle was lifted for the next bend.....That W18 engine really is a beast!

Ian

20 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I used to be a marshal for the Bentley Drivers' Club at their annual Silverstone meeting and I'm sure I have pics around somewhere. I'll have to have a dig.

It was hugely spectacular as it headed down the old starting straight spinning its rear wheels, then letting out an enormous crackling roar as the throttle was lifted for the next bend.....That W18 engine really is a beast!

Ian

It's a W12 (arrow 12). But yes - deeply impressive!

You're correct, my memory must be going! It was also the Napier-Bentley I used to see at Silverstone, those stubby pipes make a wonderful noise!

Ian

Harvey,

What a wonderfully nuts machine - Flat exhausts - why? Double coach springs at the back - must have weighed a tonne. Marvellous

My favourite picture

1016.jpg

What was he thinking - clearly has no imagination whatsoever.

Looks like something else to distract from what I should be doing.

Hope you are keeping well

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks for the response guys...very much appreciated! This ain't a pretty beast in terms of engineering, it had to be solid to cope with the (infamous) Brooklands bumps., but it's good old-fashioned engineering from the "pioneer" years.....and it's excellent scratchbuilders material!!!!!:D

1 hour ago, NickD said:

1016.jpg

What was he thinking - clearly has no imagination whatsoever.

I bet he was thinking" ooooohhh sssshhhhiiiiiiii******!

She weighed 2 tonne actually Nick!! I still can't believe that the bodywork was hinged, despite the chassis legs being almost 12in deep!

Edited by harveyb258
Forgot summat!

Harvey that is absolutely great news !:o

i bow to your ambition and i am sure you have all the talent and know how to pull this off.

all i can say is i will be cheering from the sidelines all the way !:worthy:

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:55 AM, Roy vd M. said:

Is it just me or does that look like quite a large car!

It's very large, Roy......total length 16'3", wheelbase 10'10", track 5'3" and weighing in at 2.05tonnes. I said previously that the chassis is about a foot deep. I've since found out that it's 10" deep (not far off then). Not sure on width yet, that will have to be confirmed, but I reckon its approx. 4".

Cheers, H

I am assuming the engine is based on the aero engine of the same name, so some of the engine detail might be the same. Lions were also used in power boats and at the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich they had one. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Martin T said:

I am assuming the engine is based on the aero engine of the same name,

Thanks for your interest Martin. You are correct in your assumption, Sir...it is the Lion type E89 series X1A . 564 HP at 3,000 rpm and 1,184lb ft torque!  A pure beast of an engine!

Thank you for your contribution, Roy!

Cheers, H

• Like 2