Hurricane IIc with two cannons removed?

MeneMene

I have the 1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane IIc. The kit has two marking options available; one of 94 Sqdn, GO-J, BP389. The kit says that the aircraft should have all four cannons, but I found this picture:

Hurricane_IICs_94_Sqn_over_Egypt_c1942.j

I think they mixed up the serial numbers; BP389 is the foreground aircraft, GO-G, and it has two cannons removed. GO-J is in the background, but I can't see the wing or make out the serial.

Next option is one with 213 Sqdn, AK-W, HL887

Hurricane_Mk_IIB_HL887_AK-W_of_No_213_Sq

This is the right aircraft at least. Hasegawa says the aircraft should only have two cannons.

1) Am I correct in seeing that AK-W has two cannons removed as well? I think that's the case, but it's hard to see from the photo, and the only other picture is from the back and you can't see anything.

2) In this field modification of removing the outer cannons, what went in its place? Was it just smoothly faired over as if the gun wasn't there? The kit comes with red gun-tape decals to go over those sections, so were they replaced by some Brownings instead? Some flight simulator representations has them smoothly faired over, while the hasegawa instructions have the red gun-tape, maybe suggesting there's supposed to be a machine gun there instead? I can't find any photographs.

sRWqebW.jpg

Any suggestions?

Edited by MeneMene

I've not seen any suggestion of additional weapons being placed in the outer cannon bay, though it might seem logical enough.

I'd ignore the earlier roundels on the FS example.  Unless of course someone has photos.

It's worth noting that these Hurricanes not only appear to have different shades of the basic colours, but two of them have exchanged colours (not just a mirror pattern).  This was seen on early Desert camouflaged Hurricanes, but you'd have thought that they would have sorted it out by the time of the Mk.IIc.

6 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It's worth noting that these Hurricanes not only appear to have different shades of the basic colours, but two of them have exchanged colours (not just a mirror pattern).  This was seen on early Desert camouflaged Hurricanes, but you'd have thought that they would have sorted it out by the time of the Mk.IIc.

Thanks. In AK-W, any idea what the dark color under the K is? I'm guessing the rest of it is the standard middle stone/dark earth