Roly's 10th Anniversary VC10(s?)

So  my plan to build an SA-10 has been postponed due to the late delivery of the kit, so as an alternative I offer.........

In the late 1960s, at the end of his parents' overseas tour, a very young Roland P was flown from Africa to the UK on board an East African Airways Super VC10.  I still remember peering out of the large cockpit side windows and looking down on the Pyramids and also seeing my first Concorde when we landed in Rome.  So my new plan is to build one of my Roden EAA Super VC10s for the GB. 

However, many years later, a somewhat older Roland ended up flying VC10s with 101 Sqn at RAF Brize Norton, which included all of the ex-EAA Super VC10s which were now known as VC10 K3s in RAF service.  If time permits (highly unlikely given my propensity for starting and then missing the finish line in GBs) I plan to do the same aircraft in 101 Sqn colours.

Now all I need to do is work out what photo hosting website to use and how to embed pictures; it all used to be so easy before Photobucket went all mercenary on us!!   

• Like 3

Is that all the sprue ? Can't see any wing fences, slat fences or Aerials. Remember the day I saw MMT, Heathrow April  1967 over at the BOAC hangars., few months later an East African Twin Otter on delivery parked in the same slot.5H-MNK and would you believe it ,I found a pic of it over at BOAC, next the road that was before the 747 hangar/Carpark complex was started.

Some good shots of the EAA VC10 fleet too..BTW we had all the EAA 'Tens as K3s except 5Y-ADA,WO Addis Ababa.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/operator/East African Airways Corp xBOxECxBCx

14 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Is that all the sprue ? Can't see any wing fences, slat fences or Aerials.

No, there were some sprues still in the bag, just didn’t empty them out as there were some loose parts.

14 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Some good shots of the EAA VC10 fleet too.

Thanks for that link, some useful references there.

17 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

BTW we had all the EAA 'Tens as K3s except 5Y-ADA,WO Addis Ababa.

Yes, was aware of the Addis crash, but didn’t ADA become ZA148?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

but didn’t ADA become ZA148?

Correct..Just seeing if you were on the ball..5X-UVA was the one that crashed....

Always nice to see a VC10 build. You're going to a lot more effort over the cockpit than I would in this scale!

I had the same issue with the fin trailing edges on mine, but it was easily fixed. Yours seems to have a lot less flash than mine did.

30 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

I don’t know why I’m doing this, but a nav station to help fill the cockpit a bit 

26052213358_78e12484ba_b.jpg

Cracking scratch building there Roland and love the personal history with the real thing. 

I've cheated and bought the NH Detail set from Big H for my build of the same which will be available at a forum near you very soon.  1/24 Spit is on finals so a week or two to get this started is all that's needed - honest!  

You know how embarassing it is to turn up to the party in the same frock, so a nod as to which 101 Sqn scheme you're going with could prevent us both turning up in that Liz Hurley safety pin number (again!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fatcawthorne said:

I've cheated and bought the NH Detail set from Big H for my build of the same which will be available at a forum near you very soon.  1/24 Spit is on finals so a week or two to get this started is all that's needed - honest!  

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on that one.

1 hour ago, Fatcawthorne said:

You know how embarassing it is to turn up to the party in the same frock, so a nod as to which 101 Sqn scheme you're going with could prevent us both turning up in that Liz Hurley safety pin number (again!).

Liz Hurley 😍😍😍 but yes I know what you mean. If I get time, I will do a K3 in the grey colour scheme (hated the hemp colour) if OK with you I’ll do ZA148 and 5Y-ADA.

• Like 1

I have a request for any airliner builders out there; does anyone have any suggestions for how to protect the clear fuselage windows, which have to be inserted before closing up the fuselage and before final painting takes place? I think this might be my first ever airliner and individually masking fuselage windows in 1/144 seems a little OTT!! Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

• Like 1

Vallejo makes a liquid mask which comes in their usual dropper nozzle bottles. You could just put a drop of that on each window, use the point of a cocktail stick to get it to the edges.

A friend of mine uses it and has recommended it to me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/27/2018 at 1:56 PM, Roland Pulfrew said:

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on that one.

Liz Hurley 😍😍😍 but yes I know what you mean. If I get time, I will do a K3 in the grey colour scheme (hated the hemp colour) if OK with you I’ll do ZA148 and 5Y-ADA.

Then I'll bring the hemp version to the ball, esp as I've just picked up a tasty set of Nimrod retirement scheme decals to satisfy my big grey plane fix!!

6 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

I have a request for any airliner builders out there; does anyone have any suggestions for how to protect the clear fuselage windows, which have to be inserted before closing up the fuselage and before final painting takes place? I think this might be my first ever airliner and individually masking fuselage windows in 1/144 seems a little OTT!! Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

My K3 boxing has a set of masks in it that I almost overlooked as all I saw at first was a blank white square (is that it to the bottom left of your decals in the sprue shots?).

3 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

My K3 boxing has a set of masks in it that I almost overlooked as all I saw at first was a blank white square (is that it to the bottom left of your decals in the sprue shots?).

Good spot! I knew there were masks for the cockpit windows but had missed all the little ovals for the fuselage windows. Now wondering whether to use the masks or just run maskol down the window line as I’ve pre-sprayed the window line.

Anyway, as I’ve been in quarantine 🤧🤒this weekend, at least I’ve made s bit of progress 

26077529528_a7dc016db4_b.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

Then I'll bring the hemp version to the ball, esp as I've just picked up a tasty set of Nimrod retirement scheme decals to satisfy my big grey plane fix!!

May I ask who does which Nimrod decals? I’ve got a Nimrod in the stash still to do.