Novo Gloster Javelin FAW.9

Novo was a brand name used for the early runs of ex-FROG moulds  (1976-80) after the moulds had been shipped to the USSR. The moulded kits were shipped unboxed back to the UK where the Novo packaging and instructions were generated and the kits and instructions placed into the boxes. The artwork for these early kits was identical to their previous FROG boxings.  This arrangement was decided on because the Soviet government could not pay directly for the moulds in hard Sterling.

Once the receivers of FROG had generated the required UK£ for the sale of each mould, the Novo production ceased. That is why the supply of these boxed Novo kits dried up in the early 1980s. The kits continued to be produced in the USSR in much poorer packaging and with very poor instructions, decals and poor quality plastic. The moulds also suffered badly over time.

As far as I can remember this FROG Javelin originally came out around 1974, not that long before FROG's demise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Don't see too many of the airfix version around , but I'd like to have a look at the 1/48 version for sure!

You just waiting for a solution on the décor to materialise?

I did find Airfix ones in 1/72 and 1/48 on ebay. By all accounts the 1/48 is apparently meant to be one of their best ever kits. Both are still stashed, so I don't know for myself how they build yet though.

I did actually complete the Novo one some time ago, this thread has bumped, but I did post a RFI here: 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033426-gloster-javelin-faw9-xh905e-no-5-squadron-raf-geilenkirchen-1963/&tab=comments#comment-2944586

• Thanks 1

On 2018-01-25 at 8:41 AM, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

High Planes were working on a CAD tail section correction for the Airfix FAW.9, this like my Frog nose for me was a personal project for Christopher Brown at HPM, to date he hasn't finished it but I'm sure it will be popular when he does.

Thanks,

Colin  

That's a conversion set, or rather a correction set, I would eagerly buy! Just hope he remembers to cant the exhaust pipes slightly inwards, something both Frog and Airfix forgot to do, since it is a quite noticeable feature.

Looking superb so far! Looking forward to seeing the markings you decide on too.

I'm looking for a decent priced Javelin in 1:48 scale but potentially in the FAW.2 mark as per the Javelin XA801. Viewers discretion is advised for the below video, especially if you are of a sensitive nature......

This particular aircraft was a gate guardian at RAF Stafford up until 1994 when it was sold off for scrap. Now replaced by a GR.3 Harrier (XZ987)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Looking superb so far! Looking forward to seeing the markings you decide on too.

I'm looking for a decent priced Javelin in 1:48 scale but potentially in the FAW.2 mark as per the Javelin XA801. Viewers discretion is advised for the below video, especially if you are of a sensitive nature......

This particular aircraft was a gate guardian at RAF Stafford up until 1994 when it was sold off for scrap. Now replaced by a GR.3 Harrier (XZ987)

It's disgraceful that they scrapped that gate guard - surely a museum would have welcomed her! 😡

I did indeed finish my Jav, the finished kit is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033426-gloster-javelin-faw9-xh905e-no-5-squadron-raf-geilenkirchen-1963/&tab=comments#comment-2944586

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

An excellent build there for XH905 there Riot! :D

You're right, it was a travesty to see XA801 scrapped the way it was. As a remember it, no one wanted her, not even Cosford. I'm guessing at the time it was in such a state of dis-repair that it just wasn't economical to preserve?

When my dad was based there during the 80's, it was the first Cold War aircraft I saw....absolutely loved the lines of this bird.

• Thanks 1