1/72 RCAF Mustang III decal or suitable letter codes sheet

Wm Blecky

Hi,

I am looking to do an RCAF Mustang Mk.III:

Image result for 9g l hb768 p- mustang

and am trying to locate an aftermarket decal sheet or suitable code letters decal.

Any help would be appreciated.

ThankS.

mmm... Something tells me that you may struggle to find suitable code letters that broad.

If you are after super accuracy, then you may need to do the old 'slice and dice' method.

Make sure you buy a sheet that has at least four identical letters / numbers - The Tasman letter / number sheets are very good.

Grab a new-ish Xacto blade and cut each letter vertically, one towards the left hand side and the other towards the right. 

Then it's just a case of applying both decals at the same time (one slightly over the other) so that you achieve the correct width you want.

I was struggling to find suitable width 45 Sqd codes for my 1/72 Mossie, so this is what I needed to do.

With a little care and finesse (swearing is also acceptable in Australia!), this is what I did.

Cheers and good luck.. Dave.

38951130305_1d4d780023_b.jpg

37109723896_e27a848420_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gents!

Yes Dave, the more I look, the more your suggested method seems that it will have to be the way to approach this.  Any idea as to just how often this style of numbers and letters was used?  Other than your Mosquito (beautiful metal finish by the way) and the RCAF Mustang Mk.III I came across, I can not recall seeing it anywhere else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Hi,

I am looking to do an RCAF Mustang Mk.III:

Image result for 9g l hb768 p- mustang

and am trying to locate an aftermarket decal sheet or suitable code letters decal.

Any help would be appreciated.

ThankS.

IPMS Canada RT Volume 29 Number 4 has a great article on 441 Sqd Mustang III's. It also came with free decals in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32, including markings to do 9G-L. Only codes and serial numbers were provided, no roundels and fin flashes.

Edited by TBC
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TBC said:

IPMS Canada RT Volume 29 Number 4 has a great article on 441 Sqd Mustang III's. It also came with free decals in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32, including markings to do 9G-L. Only codes and serial numbers were provided, no roundels and fin flashes.

Thanks TBC.  I don't suppose you know where I could find this decal sheet???  I had checked the IPMS Canada website and no surprise, they are sold out :( 

I may have this sheet and won't be using the 1/72 decals. I'll check my stash and let you know tomorrow. I helped the author of the article with research info and photos.

Richard

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RZP said:

I may have this sheet and won't be using the 1/72 decals. I'll check my stash and let you know tomorrow. I helped the author of the article with research info and photos.

Richard

That would be outstanding and greatly appreciated!  Thank you Richard.

4 hours ago, RZP said:

Found them! Send me a PM with your address and I'll get them on the way to you.

Richard

Wonderful!  Thank you Richard.  PM coming.

Wm.