Four Brewster Buffalo's

cocky05d

20 hours ago, Neil.C said:

This is where I got all my Brewster Buffalo info from. ;)

eb6b1bbfd0b1aaade77742719bbbca75--ace-co

Gosh that takes me back to my school days, I remember one of those comics featuring a Westland Whirlwind which got shot down protecting a Hawker Typhoon, I can't remember the whole story now

but I can still picture the drawing of the pilot bailing out of the stricken Whirlwind.

Great info on the Buffalo in this thread as well, one day I will build my SH 1/32 scale version.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

On 29/01/2018 at 5:02 PM, jimmaas said:

The cockpit colors for both USN yellow wing and Dutch are the same - aluminum paint, but with black upper sidewalls forward of the raised boxes on each side.  And the instrument panels, of course. 

Hi ,thanks for that ,what about the USN version that is in with the 2 RAF and Dutch versions ?

15 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Hi ,thanks for that ,what about the USN version that is in with the 2 RAF and Dutch versions ?

The RAF 339E had a Painted Cockpit between the frame just forward of the Inst panel and the rear frame of the cockpit.

The aft area was Airframe silver/Aluminium (except the area beneath the rear canopy - cockpit colour), forward of the cockpit I

would paint Airframe Silver/Aluminium.

Look at my SH 1/32 Build, and note the demarcation lines - This is taken from photos in the Brewster Buffalo 339E Pilots Notes

18ba7588-5c84-4d6f-b218-5e5088012a68.jpg

79147fa0-a592-4ab2-ab5e-9e48110decf3.jpg

As to the actual cockpit colour? Personally now I would go with a colour that was used for RAF Fighters circa Battle of

Britain (that's about the time the 339E's were ordered) - Note though the Seat is Natural metal Aluminium as are the seat frames.

I Plan (at some point) to build another 339E, and I would paint the cockpit probably similar to this Hudson Interior Photo

da75087e-03c6-4129-9d3c-4177f191ab6f.jpg

(Photo use permission of NR Mines)

One last thing (again from Pilots Notes) the 339E Instrument Panel face is flush with the coaming above it

Not 100% sure about the Dutch aircraft interior colours, so won't speculate

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cocky05d said:

Hi! If you mean the aircraft from VS-201, it is a toss-up.  These aircraft were rebuilt F2A-1's brought up to F2A-2 standards, which forward of the firewall meant a pretty complete rebuild.  They were back at the Brewster factory around the same time as the F2A-3 order was under construction and the repainted exterior camouflage matches that of the F2A-3's: overall Non-Specular Light Gray, 24 inch fuselage roundel, etc.  It would make sense that if the cockpit was reworked, it would be painted like the F2A-3's - Dull Dark Green overall.  But the only good photo we have of these F2A-1/2 rebuilds is of 201-S-13, and it looks like the turnover pylon struts are still in aluminium lacquer, like the yellow-wing aircraft.  So at this point I am starting to lean towards the 'rebuild' aircraft still having the original aluminium lacquer (with black sidewalls) interior.  That would have been cheaper, and remember we're dealing with Brewster, not a philanthropic institution.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

the 339E Instrument Panel face is flush with the coaming above it

Alan, I'm not sure that's always the case.  Brewster has a (rubber? canvass?) glare shield that fitted over the instrument panel coaming.  Many factory photos were taken with this removed, which shows the instrument panel flush with the coaming.  But it looks like some of the British aircraft had the glare shield fitted, with a cutout for the reflector sight. 

1 minute ago, cocky05d said:

(except the area beneath the rear canopy - cockpit colour) Sorry if i am being dense ,you mean the flat bit behind the seat ?

Hi ,yes i do mean VS201  .

Once again thanks for the replies and info .

No, you're not being dense, glad you asked - happy to help out^_^

Yes, the flat area/decking behind the pilot as in this photo

67d2473f-0371-4583-b8ae-1132ba6ca12d.jpg

Regards

Alan

4 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

(except the area beneath the rear canopy - cockpit colour) Sorry if i am being dense ,you mean the flat bit behind the seat ?

Hi ,yes i do mean VS201  .

Once again thanks for the replies and info .

I mean the cockpit and the flat bit behind the cockpit, although the liferaft tube would be black.

5 minutes ago, jimmaas said:

Alan, I'm not sure that's always the case.  Brewster has a (rubber? canvass?) glare shield that fitted over the instrument panel coaming.  Many factory photos were taken with this removed, which shows the instrument panel flush with the coaming.  But it looks like some of the British aircraft had the glare shield fitted, with a cutout for the reflector sight. 

Hi Jim,

Interesting, the photo in the 339E Notes may well be one of those photo's you refer to, as it shows the panel flush (but sans a glare shield).

Now you have my curiosity going a million miles an hour:D

Thanks/regards

Alan

On 1/31/2018 at 9:34 AM, jimmaas said:

Hi Jim,

After your comments yesterday, I pulled out a copy of the 339E Buffalo Pilots Notes, and "Figure 2 Photo"

showing the Instrument Panel. There is a Cover (item 20 in annotations) - "Removable Reflector Panel".

appears to be rubber.

The interesting thing is that the above cover only has a Lip that comes over onto the upper/outer edge of Instrument panel,

and looks only a few Millimetres thick, and does not protrude out any distance, the Gun sight sits proud of the lip.

In 1/72, even 1/48, it would not be so noticeable, but in 1/32, it would appear in light "Relief"

Regards

Alan