Four Brewster Buffalo's

cocky05d

11 hours ago, jimmaas said:

Yes, as in "FS 595 wasn't around then but Dutch vets say those colors are close to the Dutch aircraft colors in the NEI".  Actually, the In Action book I did is getting rather long in the tooth and there are some errors (like, the F2A-3 didn't have the ventral window, though the 339-23 did).  You might want to grab the new book by Rich Dann in the Ginter series, much good stuff in there.

Jim,

Have it ordered, as a matter of fact! Your In Action might be long in the tooth, but it still has 'bite'!

Mike

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, neilh said:

I have trashed at last one of these kits. PM me your address. If I can find the canopies they are yours. I also think I have decals from the USN pre war boxing . Not sure how good they are but if they look useable you can have them too.  Will be away this weekend but if you can wait a couple of days....

Hi ,thanks for the offer ,i will contact you next week

2 hours ago, Gmat said:

72modeler. if you are just now getting the SS book, have you tried to find Le Brewster Buffalo by the late Jean-Louis Couston? Very expensive, but very worth it if you can afford it.

https://www.amazon.fr/Brewster-Buffalo-Jean-Louis-Couston/dp/2914017251

Grant

Thanks for the heads-up- I have pretty  much purchased every serious Buffalo reference out there, including the recently released Ginter book- the one you've posted looks great, but is out of my price range. I do appreciate the post, and will see about finding a used copy at a decent price.

Mike

Tread a little carefully with Clouston's book.  Some of the images have been modified to depict aircraft that they aren't.  I don't think it was Jean Louis who did it, more likely it was his publisher.  It's a shame because it is an otherwise excellent book. 

10 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Tread a little carefully with Clouston's book.  Some of the images have been modified to depict aircraft that they aren't.  

Does that apply to any of the images of wrecked FAA Buffaloes on Crete, please?

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, Seahawk said:

Does that apply to any of the images of wrecked FAA Buffaloes on Crete, please?

Sorry for the delay.  The pics of B-339Bs in RAF/FAA service seem to be ok.  The main problem area I detected was in the RAF Far East Buffalos.  A number of the photos had been published previously and were reprinted without credit and without seeking permission of the prior authors.  There are many captioning errors and at least one image where the serial has been modified:

• Page 160.  Bottom photo allegedly shows Buffalo W8241, an airframe converted by 67 Sqn for fighter-recce work.  The actual image is of W8233, also of 67 Sqn, and was first published in Charlie Bond's "Diary of a Flying Tiger."
  • Page 165.  Top image is not Blondie Holder of 243 Sqn.  It's actually Bill Collyer of 453 Sqn.
  • Page 175.  Top image of 'TD-W' claimed as "usually flown" by Flt Lt Vanderfield   That airframe does not appear in Vanderfield's logbook.
  • Page 176.  Top image Buffalo W8157 was not flown by Congo Kinninmont and Kinninmont never assumed command of 453 Sqn.  Tim Vigors, who was Acting CO of 453 Sqn, actually flew the imaged aircraft on 10 Dec 41, the date the image was taken.
  • Page 177.  Bottom image actually shows Peter Bingham-Wallis and not Sqn Ldr Allshorn as captioned.
  • Page 179.  The imaged aircraft is not AN172.  Kinninmont only flew AN172 on one occasion.  AN172 was a combat replacement airframe and Kinninmont crashed it trying to fly from Singapore to northern Malaya.  It's therefore highly improbable that AN172 ever wore squadron codes let alone nose art.

There may be others but the above are just the ones that leap out at me from memory.  The number of errors in just the RAF section makes me worry about other sections in which I have less knowledge that people like Jim Maas.

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:34 AM, mhaselden said:

Sorry for the delay.  The pics of B-339Bs in RAF/FAA service seem to be ok.  The main problem area I detected was in the RAF Far East Buffalos.  A number of the photos had been published previously and were reprinted without credit and without seeking permission of the prior authors.  There are many captioning errors and at least one image where the serial has been modified:

• Page 160.  Bottom photo allegedly shows Buffalo W8241, an airframe converted by 67 Sqn for fighter-recce work.  The actual image is of W8233, also of 67 Sqn, and was first published in Charlie Bond's "Diary of a Flying Tiger."
  • Page 165.  Top image is not Blondie Holder of 243 Sqn.  It's actually Bill Collyer of 453 Sqn.
  • Page 175.  Top image of 'TD-W' claimed as "usually flown" by Flt Lt Vanderfield   That airframe does not appear in Vanderfield's logbook.
  • Page 176.  Top image Buffalo W8157 was not flown by Congo Kinninmont and Kinninmont never assumed command of 453 Sqn.  Tim Vigors, who was Acting CO of 453 Sqn, actually flew the imaged aircraft on 10 Dec 41, the date the image was taken.
  • Page 177.  Bottom image actually shows Peter Bingham-Wallis and not Sqn Ldr Allshorn as captioned.
  • Page 179.  The imaged aircraft is not AN172.  Kinninmont only flew AN172 on one occasion.  AN172 was a combat replacement airframe and Kinninmont crashed it trying to fly from Singapore to northern Malaya.  It's therefore highly improbable that AN172 ever wore squadron codes let alone nose art.

There may be others but the above are just the ones that leap out at me from memory.  The number of errors in just the RAF section makes me worry about other sections in which I have less knowledge that people like Jim Maas.

Many thanks for your detailed reply.  Congratulations on having a memory from which things "leap out" in such clarity and detail.  It's a bit dispiriting that there are so many errors and a deliberate falsification: as you say, it makes you sceptical about the rest.

On 24/01/2018 at 4:31 PM, cocky05d said:

Hi ,thanks for the offer ,i will contact you next week

Hi ,i broke down and bought the secondhand Tamiya Yellow winged kit off ebay .Thanks for the offer though .

Now i have 5 Tamiya kits and 1 Special Hobby .

Going to be 

RAF x2 

Dutch x1 

USN x1 

USN Yellow wings x1 

Finnish Air Force x1.

Why is my life so complicated ? I only wanted to do a Yellow wing ,and a Finnish one in the first place:wtf:

Edited by cocky05d

2 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Hi ,i broke down and bought the secondhand Tamiya Yellow winged kit off ebay .Thanks for the offer though .

Going to be 

RAF x2 

Dutch x1 

USN x1 

USN Yellow wings x1 

Finnish Air Force x1.

Why is my life so complicated ? I only wanted to do a Yellow wing ,and a Finnish one in the first place:wtf:

'Cos Buffalos breed given half a chance.

Shout if I can be of help with markings suggestions for the RAF airframes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

'Cos Buffalos breed given half a chance.

Shout if I can be of help with markings suggestions for the RAF airframes.

Thanks ,to be honest half joking about having too many Buffalo's ,always like it for some reason .

I did the Airfix one years ago ,and i would love to have a go at the 1/32 kit that is put out by Azur (i think it is ).

14 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Going to be 

RAF x2 

Dutch x1 

USN x1 

USN Yellow wings x1 

Finnish Air Force x1.

Just a minute: you've left out a Fleet Air Arm example.

20 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

HAHA ,i thought you were pulling my leg about about Buffalo's in the FAA ,just  had a look on Wikipedia and they did use them.

Haven't seen any photos .

Here are a few for you:

tn_Buffalo-39.jpg

tn_Buffalo-37.jpg

tn_Buffalo-38.jpg

• Like 2

....and the  camouflage pattern was different,  and the insignia placement was different, and the cockpit layout was ( a bit) different.

But no, they were not painted in Dark Slate Grey/Extra Dark Sea Grey.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Probably no worse than some the nonsense that gets spouted about the poor old Buffalump. 

Unfortunately when I was a kid in the '60's there wasn't any internet or learned treatises of the type you see nowadays.

Those old Air Ace comics gave me a love of WWII aircraft. 

• Like 1

Anyway ,the Dutch and the USN cockpits are primed and ready for painting .Got some USN seatbelts ,will RAF one do for the Dutch aircraft?

Also the cockpit colours ,are Tamiya paint call outs to be trusted ?

These 2 are going to be built oob apart from the seatbelts .

Got 2 sets of Eduard zoom sets for the RAF ones ,and the Special Hobby has it's own PE .Might get another PE set for the Yellow wing one .

The cockpit colors for both USN yellow wing and Dutch are the same - aluminum paint, but with black upper sidewalls forward of the raised boxes on each side.  And the instrument panels, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1