Pk-6 FW-190A

John

I must be crazy but I've just ordered one from Ebay, which should be doable in the period between finishing my current 2 builds and the end of the GB. It has be be easier than the He70 and the Mystere!

Based on the photos in the ad it's the original mould without the later rocket tubes - did that one get a new number?

More info when it arrives.

John

• Like 4

8 hours ago, John said:

1. I must be crazy .....

2. Based on the photos in the ad it's the original mould without the later rocket tubes - did that one get a new number?

1. Yes, I agree

2. The original (as you've mentioned) is PK-6, the later rocket tube equipped kit was PK-51.

This must surely be the last entry into his GB, however stranger things have happened.

Looking forward to the build and I'll adjust the build thread accordingly.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Hi john,

Being crazy is a given for the majority of people who get their rocks off by gluing little (or big, come to think of it) bits of plastic together. But you should know that!

I have had this FW 190 in my stash since it was a new tooling... That's right, I am in my late twenties.

I do believe it is PK6, with a fuselage having a mix of A-3 and A-4 aerial masts on the vertical surfaces and decals with the little Mickey Mouse badge.... more suited to a 190 G ...

It looks really accurate, so why not? Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

My son had an example of the later boxing he picked up at a local swap meet a few years ago and he built it as nature intended, out of the box in all its 2-colour glory. 

That's the only built up example of the kit I've seen, it not being one I built when it came out - not sure why that was at this distance in time. 

I think the revision was a set of rocket tubes and a drop tank? 

John 

Delivered by the postman this very afternoon:

39941743682_b14c4c0121_k.jpgFW1901 by John Walker, on Flickr

Classic Matchbox, simple and multi-coloured, although I'm sure the original batch were dark green and sky blue:

39941743002_8441b28f9d_k.jpgFW1902 by John Walker, on Flickr

Later style instructions with no purple in them - shame:

39941742542_6f98cf0178_k.jpgFW1903 by John Walker, on Flickr

Finally a small but perfectly formed decal sheet, which I'll use if at al possible. The Zero decals were even older and proved to react very well to modern Humbrol Decalfix:

39941743912_9351e1d8af_h.jpgFW1904 by John Walker, on Flickr

John

• Like 4

Battle commences OOB like the Zero - hopefully a less fraught and more straightforward build than the He70 is proving to be:

28260915709_8abf85bc21_k.jpgFW1905 by John Walker, on Flickr

Colour scheme options:

39329738334_3b697da840_k.jpgFW1906 by John Walker, on Flickr

I'm not a big Luftwaffe modeller but even I know these aren't correct. The StG.1 option in 74/75/76 appeals though.

John

• Like 3

Examining the kit in a bit more depth it seems to be a neat if simple depiction of an early short-nosed radial 190. Maybe we can do a bit more with it in the time available than just strictly OOB. I have this Xtradecal sheet for JG5 aircraft:

40091523392_8e940a1684_z.jpgFW1907 by John Walker, on Flickr

that includes among other interesting types a couple of early 190s based in Norway.

Interesting...

John

• Like 3

I'm not going to have this finished in time for the Gallery this evening, but I will complete the build and post the results here.

It's scrubbing up really nicely:

40345662571_d791a6d4c9_b.jpgFW19011 by John Walker, on Flickr

26474466618_db27cefaf9_b.jpgFW19012 by John Walker, on Flickr

40345661471_7900457ed6_b.jpgFW19013 by John Walker, on Flickr

It needs some finishing touches and some tidying up, as well as the markings applied. All in all though, a very satisfying little kit.

All colours are brush painted Humbrol acrylics:

245 RLM 74, 246 RLM 75 and 247 RLM 76 for the main camouflage and the light mottle

240 RLM 02 for the wheel wells and legs

241 RLM 70 for the propellor

RC407 BR Yellow for the theatre markings

32 Dark Grey for the exhaust stain area

56 Aluminium for the exhaust panels

John

• Like 5

OH... so close John. 

Never mind, you've played this GB very well and it was great to see you tackle the He70 and Mystere (which I have in the stash, however have 2nd thoughts about building now!). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1