Painting Window Trim

Bolosun

Well before I lose my temper again and trash another model, does anyone have any tips on how to best paint the window trim on car models? I have tried painting the body of the car and then try to mask off and paint the trim, but the masking never "masks" off properly. The models are the 1/24 Tamiya cars.

My latest plan is to paint the trim and then mask them off before the main body colour. But as the trim is very thin, not sure this will work any better :worry:.

You need a brand new blade to cut it though, especially if you're cutting it really thin.  You could also use strips of aluminium foil with some contact adhesive foil glue.

Source: Not a car modeller. :dunce:

On 1/22/2018 at 7:51 PM, krow113 said:

A Molotow chrome pen may work...

Get one of these - they are brilliant for edging Fr/RR screens. They come in three sizes - try the 2mm option

16 hours ago, Spad said:

Get one of these - they are brilliant for edging Fr/RR screens. They come in three sizes - try the 2mm option

I have a look. Unfortunately the window trim I am doing is black, not chrome.

15 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Hi Bolosun

Molotov also do a Black pen as well :) 

I did do a quick search but couldn't find any. Will have another look now I know they exist.

Thanks for the pointer. :yes:

With black there are a few methods you can use. If you have a line already scribed in the body then make it slightly deeper using a scriber before you prime and paint the body colour. Then after painting you can use thinned black paint and flow it into the panel line. Capillary action will take the paint along the line and you should end up with a perfect edge. All you need to do then is fill in the trim with a brush or mask and spray.

Method two is using a fine black marker pen/sharpie to draw the edge of the line. Then fill in same as method one. 

Method three is to take Tamiya fine line tape or cut down Tamiya masking tape into 1mm wide strips using a fresh blade and a steel ruler and apply this around the trim line. Make sure you burnish it down well so no paint can creep under the edges. 

If you use an acrylic paint and you get any little imperfections use a sharpened cocktail stick to gently scrape them off.

With practice you should get perfect edges but it can be frustrating until you master it.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, Bolosun said:

I did do a quick search but couldn't find any. Will have another look now I know they exist.

Thanks for the pointer. :yes:

Here's a link to the Molotow Black marker pens, again available in various nib sizes.

https://www.cassart.co.uk/painting/accessories_1/paint_pens/molotow_one4all_acrylic_marker_1mm.htm?productid=12422&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp4DCk86H2QIV6b_tCh3AbwjnEAQYBSABEgLDuPD_BwE

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...