HS Nimrod MR.1, XV249, No. 203 Sqn, RAF Kinloss, detached to RAF Luqa, 1977

Here she is! And what an impressive beast, such a big kit and a beautiful aeroplane and an important part of the RAF's maritime patrol history. A capability the service still misses today in my opinion. This aircraft is depicted as detached from Kinloss to RAF Luqa, Malta in 1977 just before 203 sqn disbanded and its Nimrods passed to the remaining units of the Kinloss and St Mawgan wings. It was converted to an MR2 at Woodford six years later and eventually became an R.1, surviving to this day.

It was a straightforward kit to make despite its size, and the demarcation line worked superbly with spray cans and masking tape. The only slight issue I found was the fuselage roundel showed the white/grey paint line through it so I used two layers of decals on this one to mask it a bit. 

In my opinion, the traditional grey/white was the best Nimrod colour scheme. Colours used were satin white and RAL7035 light grey. Kit completely OOB as XV249 and no aftermarket parts. 

m8lpox.jpg

nce8ae.jpg

25ez70m.jpg28hh53k.jpg

2s0k842.jpg

2i1z5vq.jpg

fy03so.jpg

mma0q1.jpg

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Looks absolutely terrific.  Mine is almost complete but has come to a temporary standstill while I await some decent weather for outdoor rattle canning!  I'm sure it won't mind though, as it sat in the stash for about 10 years! If mine only turns out half as good as yours I'll be happy.  I totally agree, definitely the nicest colour scheme for a Nimrod.  I know this kit has received some criticism accuracy wise but I for one think it is a great kit and Airfix were to be applauded at the time for biting the bullet with this one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Fantastic Nimrod,  watched the wip and made me think twice about hiding from my own lurking at the bottom of the stash.:worthy:

Really like this.

Me too! Whoever said the Nimrod was ugly must need... well beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. To me the Nimrod in White/LAG personifies functional elegance. Lovely build - mine is definitely going to be coming to the surface from the depths of the stash (just hope I don't need a sonobuoy to find it...) :goodjob:

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 3

Thanks chaps, it's a great confidence boost to read your comments. I think generally the bigger kits can look best and as long as it captures the essence of an early Nimrod then that'll do for me. Once I have more space I'll display it with the Shack and a Vulcan for a Woodford trio.  

Turned out nice in the end, very impressive. I do like that version and would be tempted to have a go at that, just that for me white is the devils spawn, I hate using it, but it does look nice!

Great effort!

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

Turned out nice in the end, very impressive. I do like that version and would be tempted to have a go at that, just that for me white is the devils spawn, I hate using it, but it does look nice!

Great effort!

Bob

Thanks Bob.

The white was ok, it seems alright if you use a satin spray. I did spray it a bit thick near the tail though, so bit the bullet immediately and wiped it off while very wet then resprayed that area because it was dripping. I think my lesson with sprays is thinner is better and do a second coat once dry instead of trying to do all one colour in one go. I'm planning a white Vulcan soon so hopefully it'll come out ok.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

Hello,Lord Riot - I’m singing my praises to your Shackleton as well as your Nimrod.They’re both beautifully built and finished models in their own right.I love their clean ‘classic’ appearance.They’re two fine tributes to these magnificent aircraft and when posed together look stunning.Great work.

😉👍All The Best,Paul.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Lord Riot - I’m singing my praises to your Shackleton as well as your Nimrod.They’re both beautifully built and finished models in their own right.I love their clean ‘classic’ appearance.They’re two fine tributes to these magnificent aircraft and when posed together look stunning.Great work.

😉👍All The Best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, very nice comments 🙂

It's a labour of love with these types as they take me back to my childhood.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Beautiful job on this kit of an awesome aeroplane. The sort of job that makes me want to rush out & buy one. I won't 'cause its too big for my storage more is the pity. 'cause it is very tempting. :)

Steve.

If you can find the space Steve it's definitely worth it! I got mine on eBay, so not too expensive either. If it helps, it's 54cm x 49cm.

• Like 1