1/48 SU-122

German Armour

Hi all. I have a problem. On Tamiya's 1/48 SU-122, I made a mistake a "ruined" a part. The part is the back of the gun that attaches to the bracket ie: so it can move. I misread the instructions and drilled out the support. :( Would anyone have any ideas to fix this problem? Thanks!

• Like 1

Tamiya will happily sell you a new part. I'd be using some plastic rod or superglue (depending on where you put the hole and how deep it is) to fill the hole if it was me - worst that can happen is that an already useless piece gets more useless... If you could post a photo so we can see the issue, we may be able to advise further.

Instructions for posting photos

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008824-how-do-i-post-pictures/

• 11 months later...

Do you want the gun to move?  If not I'm sure there must be a way of bodging it to get the mantlet in the correct position on the mounting and fixing it in place.  As noted above, plastic or metal rod, even a thin bolt, would seem the obvious answers  especially if you still have access from inside.  More difficult but not impossible if the hull halves are assembled. 

Without knowing or seeing the parts, could you drill out the gun assembly too using rod or wire of the same diameter as the hole you mistakenly drilled and, using the appropriate adhesive, simply insert the gun to the correct position?  OK it won't elevate, but does that really matter?

3 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Without knowing or seeing the parts, could you drill out the gun assembly too using rod or wire of the same diameter as the hole you mistakenly drilled and, using the appropriate adhesive, simply insert the gun to the correct position?  OK it won't elevate, but does that really matter?

I've built three of these over the years and ALL of them were moulded in a very un-Tamiya brittle plastic. The first time the gun got looked at too hard the mount broke inside. That became an ARV. Which could work for you.

The second time I filled the holes for the poly caps with two part filler and re-drilled the holes. That lasted a bit longer then I was looking at another ARV to East German spec.

Third time lucky! I reinforced the outside faces of all the mounting pieces with plastic card. Then lined the poly cap housings with thin tube which I extended to reach the gun proper. Set it in the right place and glued it. That cured the issue.