RAF Britannia C1 XM496 'Regulus'.

20 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Super wings with 4% leading edge extension

Dave, just to clarify any confusion .

All VC10s,not just Supers including the Prototype 'RTA/OD-AFA, (EXCEPT the original BOAC Standard fleet) had the inboard leading extension, deeper Lead edge fairings.

The BOAC fleet ,some were sold on so VC10s WITHOUT the Inbd L/E extension are

BOAC G-ARVA - 'RVM

RAF K2s ZA140-144

All Gulf Air VC10s A4O-VC,-VG,-VI,-VK,-VL and G-ARVJ

United Arab Emirates , 'RVF

Nigeria Airways 'RVC and 5N-ABD (ex 'RVA)

Air Ceylon RV? in basic BOAC post April 1965 scheme and Air Ceylon in Gold letter stickers, could have been 'RVL, can't remember.

• Like 1

An absolutely stunning build John.

Out of interest which Roden boxing of the Britannia did you use and do you need to make many changes to RAF spec C.1?

Mark

• Like 1

Wow,....just wow,...... this is a beauty John,.......love the Brittannia and you have cracked it with this one,...... looking forward to your Vicky Ten!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Nearly missed this until I spotted the "airliners" tag. 

Lovely work as always John.  Apart from a few minor irritations mainly around the engines the Roden Brit really is a smashing kit and you've certainly done it justice.  I must get on with the -100 conversion I've been threatening for over a year!

It's possibly you've already seen this article but if not you might find it helpful when you come to do your VC-10.

Best regards

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canberraman said:

An absolutely stunning build John.

Out of interest which Roden boxing of the Britannia did you use and do you need to make many changes to RAF spec C.1?

Mark

Mark, I bought the kit direct from 26 Decals. Ray was selling the Roden plastic in his own box, including a sheet of his decals See here for £22. 

And here for the full range Unfortunately he has sold out.

Considering the kit retails elsewhere for £31.99 and the decal sheet for £9, £22 for both was excellent value.

The only changes I made were as in my post - adding the 'teardrop' fairing underneath, and moving the towel rail aerials from bottom to top of the fuselage.

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

It's possibly you've already seen this article but if not you might find it helpful when you come to do your VC-10.

Best regards

Dave G

Thanks Dave, I hadn't seen it and I'm sure it will help a lot.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bzn20 said:

All VC10s,not just Supers including the Prototype 'RTA/OD-AFA, (EXCEPT the original BOAC Standard fleet) had the inboard leading extension, deeper Lead edge fairings.

You are of course correct (except in that G-ARTA wasn't originally built with the extension, but did end up with it after extensive trials to develope it). I was just trying to keep it straightforward, the leading edge extensions were in the Super Bra.Z conversion kit, hence they were Super 4% extensions. There's a good explanation of the wing developement on the VC10derness site including an excellent photo of the droop tip extensions for the type 1103 that G-ARTA also ended up with.

@Viking, we need your VC10 thread started so we're not cluttering up your Britannia thread with all this OT "assistance" :)

43 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

You are of course correct

Hope so Dave,I was fixing them for 20 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

The BOAC fleet ,some were sold on so VC10s WITHOUT the Inbd L/E extension are

BOAC G-ARVA - 'RVM

RAF K2s ZA140-144

All Gulf Air VC10s A4O-VC,-VG,-VI,-VK,-VL and G-ARVJ

United Arab Emirates , 'RVF

Nigeria Airways 'RVC and 5N-ABD (ex 'RVA)

Air Ceylon RV? in basic BOAC post April 1965 scheme and Air Ceylon in Gold letter stickers, could have been 'RVL, can't remember.

Very helpful info there Russ.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Chris.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve been inspired! I now have one in A&AEE Boscombe Down Markings from 26 Decals in the queue to get onto the bench (operating a strict ‘one in one out’ policy now unfortunately...!). I have an etch fret as well from NH Detail but from your post it doesn’t sound like much will be seen of the interior (which is chiefly what it details)? I may still do it if only because I have it.

• Like 1