Help me prevent a murder...

Olli

I have a small problem which the other half might kill me for. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

ย 

I was working on a model and knocked pretty much all of a pot of humbrol black enamel paint on the cream living room carpet, resulting in a 3 inch stain... I got the most if it up with WD40ย and some stain remover but she's still going to notice. ๐Ÿ™ˆ

ย 

Anyone got any good tricks?? Pretty please! ๐Ÿ™„

Mrs Sovereign Hobbies suggests that getting on to TUI's website and booking a Caribbean holiday for her might be your best recovery plan!

ย 

I've managed to scrub enamel out of clothing with lots of thinners before but black on a cream carpet is about as tough as it's going to get :/

ย 

If you're going to succeed you need to prevent the binder from curing and need lots of thinners to keep the black pigment suspended in liquid so you can lift it with paper towels.

Stay up late, pop the kettle onย and turn on the TV. Thereโ€™s bound to be a product on one of those infomercials thatโ€™ll do the jobย and the fast talking seller might also throw in a sharp set of steak knives.ย 

ย 

Letโ€™s be honest, the cleaning agent wonโ€™t do a thing, but the sharp knives might soften the blow when they get thrown at youย from a short distance.ย 

ย 

She will also take that solo cruise, however thatโ€™s planned to find a โ€˜non-modellingโ€™ 2nd hubby!!ย 

ย 

Good luck - your gonna need it!ย 

By the way, whatโ€™s in your stash??

ย 

Cheers.. Daveย 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

You could blame the cat. They have nine lives and wonโ€™t miss one.

ย 

Failing that,ย a pile of books will hide it while you do the strategic thing and suggest a new carpet.

ย 

Do NOT use a pile of dirty laundry as that will attract attention and, worse, action.

• Haha 3

I spilt a bottle of wine, red of coarse, onto a new carpet in a B&B I was staying in. I used about 1kg of salt rubbed into the carpet and scooped up, repeat and keep repeating until it was about gone then I hit it with hot water and detergent for about 30 mins, again, repeating the process over and over. I t worked a treat.

I would suggest the same as you have nothing to loose and hopefully the salt will absorb the paint.

Failing a successful outcome, take the hit and wait for her to spill her nail varnish and then you can call it quits.

Good luck.

As Jamie said, white spirit. But it will stink, and we know how good a womans nose is....

ย 

First they blamed murder on books, drugs, then computer games...I never thought we would witness the day Humbrol enamels would become the new headline. News at 11.

• Haha 3

https://www.rugsdirect.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5aSM4_7p2AIV7bXtCh28UwAgEAAYASAAEgIdq_D_BwE

ย 

Or break down in tears, plead forgiveness, cry some more and buy some flowers, no make that lots of flowers and remember to be tearful and remorseful.

ย 

Trevor Proops

ย 

oh, just remembered, Prosecco......

• Like 2

If it was my wife, I'd say do this:

ย 

Sit down

Bend over

Place your head firmly between your legs

Now kiss yer butt goodbye!

ย 

ย 

ย 

Chris

Edited by Mike
This is a no-swearing board. Please remember this.
  • Haha 3

Two possibilities:

ย 

1. Expensive throw rug over stain.

2. Entirely new carpet.

ย 

The cruise option (or even a new car for the wife) may appease her a bit, but neither will really undo what has been done. For future, I suggest a polyethylene sheet placed under your modeling area to protect the carpet from further accidents.

ย 

You can also suggestย  that this points out the need for a larger house or apartment so that you can have your own "man cave" for your hobby activities. However, I'd wait a few weeks before bringing this up. Don't ask me how I know this.

Edited by Space Ranger
One more thought.
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Olli said:

I have a small problem which the other half might kill me for. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

ย 

I was working on a model and knocked pretty much all of a pot of humbrol black enamel paint on the cream living room carpet, resulting in a 3 inch stain... I got the most if it up with WD40ย and some stain remover but she's still going to notice. ๐Ÿ™ˆ

ย 

Anyone got any good tricks?? Pretty please! ๐Ÿ™„

You could just be honest with your good lady and say that you were just trying to repair the scuff marks on her expensive black high heels as as surprise when the accident happened.

Sorry I can't offer any better advice than that which has already been offered, but I wish you good luck.

Just remember though, when you do tell her, the physical pain and marks won't last for too long, the mental torture you'll endure however, could go on and on and on.

Have you checked to see if the Foreign Legion are recruiting at the moment?

• Haha 2

Ok my uncle works for a very prominet carpet dealer in Chicago. Hes said that if you have a closet or area not normally seen with the same carpet you could cut yourself a patch. Use doubleside carpet tape ( yes its a real thing). I would think do it yourself centers or carpet retailers would sell it. Then take the stained piece and put it where you took the replacement from.ย 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Wow that's a lot if replies Thanks for the advice all! ๐Ÿ‘ I tried white spirit and whatever carpet cleaners were under the sink and managed to reduce it to a black blur...

ย 

I tried suggestingย we needed a new carpet soon anyway so it didn't matter...ย Suprisingly it worked!! ๐Ÿ˜ that said I think the surprise takeaway helpedย :P. (if I fail as a modeler there's a futureย in conflict resolution!)

ย 

only problem now is I have to appear Interested in carpets and how the colour matches the sofa and all that... ๐Ÿ˜ด

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Failing a successful outcome, take the hit and wait for her to spill her nail varnish and then you can call it quits.

Spoken like a true bachelor, business-hungry divorce lawyer...ย  Or a man of exceptional good fortune.

ย 

In my experience simple logic of this kind NEVER works, becauseย the rules are different.ย  This courseย of action will usually result in retorts like:ย 

"You've been waiting all this time just to say that"

and:

"You never really loved me anyway, I saw you looking at that girl on TV/in the shop/passing/[location of her choosing].

Thus you remain the villain, even more so.

ย 

Salt is, unfortunately, just not going to work.ย  The patch idea sounds good (but depends on you having said patch), but I think the rug option is more likely to be successful.

2 minutes ago, Olli said:

only problem now is I have to appear Interested in carpets and how the colour matches the sofa and all that... ๐Ÿ˜ด

This is where a modeler's sense of color and experience in matching same when mixing paint serves him well. The more you appear to be interested and participate in the redecorating process, the more respect your spouse will have for you and the more you will be forgiven when future such accidents happen (and they will).

ย 

Don't ask me how I know this, either.

• Like 1

I did exactly the same about a year ago. Nothing shifted it, but seeing as I don't have a murdress in the house, it is no great shakes. I put a rug over it, and my home insurance covers me for new replacements, and I did the same about 17 years ago. I've already had a quote for a new carpet, I just need to put in the claim form. I do have a large chunk of spare carpet, but this one is life expired, and I can still get a match as it's a stock item.

If the stain was near an edge you could lift the carpet at that edge, put some form of absorbent material, wadded kitchen paper etc. under it and flush the stain down through the carpet. If the paint is still moist and not fully cured you can use as much white spirit/turps substitute etc. as neccessary to flush it down and out. The problem with scrubbing the surface of the carpet is that you drive the pigment particles into the fibres of the carpet and once they are in there they aren't ever coming out again.

ย 

I am fortunate in that I persuaded the missus that a charcoal grey/black shagpile carpet was ideal for the living room/dining room. On the odd occasion where I have dropped my brush while doing an oil painting or spilled a can of paint I just get the airbrush, fill it with thinners and spray/wash the pigment down out of the pile and through the backing of the carpet, job done! Whenever the time comes to pull the carpet up I am expecting the underlying floor to resemble an abstract painting.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Olli said:

A small price to pay I'd say.ย 

You certainly dodged the bullet with the surprise takeaway.

Well done.

ย