Aussie CA-27 Sabre...Avon powered!!

Paul J

Something else I am beavering away with. Hi planes boxed kit of Academy F-86 and a new fuselage plus decals fro RAAF Avon Sabres.

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2959_2.jpg

IMG_2960_2.jpg

IMG_2962_2.jpg

IMG_2963_2.jpg

IMG_2964_2.jpg

IMG_2965_2.jpg

IMG_2966_2.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

Here, there is a huge square hole wher the upper vent should be. The Hi Planes tell you to box it up. Which I did and filled with filler to blend the fit. Then carved open the vent...

IMG_2968.jpg

The wing to fuselage fit is a bit fiddly but does fit after some careful trimming and post fixing blending.

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

From the top, the new fuselage parts in the kit. Then the work I carried out cutting away the jet pipe are from the Academy plastic and the Hi Planes plastic. Reason being the ACA one has a good 'bulkhead' to fix the tail pipe to where as the Hi Planes one doesn't.  Just nothing there for it to fix to in the right place. So I basically followed the panel lines that are identical between the kit parts and did the 'op'! Reinforced the fixing with strip plastic to the inside and minimal blending on the out side. The rest of the build is pretty much straight forward. Note the cockpit parts fit reasonably well and are moulded as a tub with sidewalls as opposed to the very vague way the Hobbycraft kit!  I have also(not seen here) altered the 'square' dive brakes to replicate the correct shape of the original. So, so far its at painting stage. Just need to find a suitable silver dope paint . Tried Humbrol no.11 and it comes out quite dull( see the Vampire in background in one of the pics). I have some Tamiya silver but its far too 'glittery' for my liking. And I have used up all my AK metallic for other builds.

• Like 11

A few more pics of some work done on it earlier this evening:

IMG_0001.jpg

Windscreen about to go on and then temporarily the main one readying for painting.

IMG_0003.jpg

Found a jar of AK Extreme Metal Dark Aluminium at the back of my special paints shelf. Airbrushed this on and its not really dark at all( "...as a matter of fact its all dark..." Oops drifting off to the moon a bit ). I reckon it looks pretty good for a representation of painted aluminium.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Should have done the yellow before the ally paint really but it worked out OK with much masking as you see. Incidentally over a coat of white primer aerosolled on.

Getting close to decalling, but I had to do some fiddly remedial work to one of the main undercart legs. Both lacked axles on the chunky looking versions as tooled by Academy. I drilled holes through the points where the axles should be and one broke through but the part also broke away from the drilled hole. A very few tense moments and super glue and I am hoping it will take the strain. The new axles are from cut down dress making pins.

Thats it for now.

• Like 10

Yes Mr.B,  The Hi Planes kits do test your resolve a bit. This one too, even though half of it is regular injection moulded kit. Not sure about the supplied decals in this case. They look a bit blurrry so I bought a set of Model Alliance ones hence the yellow fin which will incorporate some black.

Hi Pail,

the Model Alliance decals can be a little thin. I used a RAAF Sabre 1/72 set for my build and the white had a lot of show through from behind (aluminium in that case). Also the fin flash was the wrong dimensions. I used the kit examples instead. I hope that helps you. 

Martin

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

It looked a whole lot better after the primer- and aluminium, dark or not!

What's that Vamp sneaking into the photos?

Aah! The Vampire.  Thats yet another on finals for being finished. Pics etc to come.

But many thanks for comments all. I will take on board about the MA decals.

Cheers

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Paul, 

I dug out my attempt at an Aussie Sabre:

As I recall I enjoyed the challenge and she came out reasonably well.

Martin

Just been to have a look. It has turned out smart hasn't it! I started decals last night. Tried using soem of the stencils from the Hi Planes decals too. They are OK but not sure of adhesiveness or if I will use all the stencils. Just a few as they are a little smudgy in places. But my MA decals used so far are really nice. The white of the roundels nice and solid... no base coat showing through.  Will do more this evening and post a few pics

Pre decalling pics...

IMG_0001.jpg

The decal sheets On the left is the MA set.  I'm doing the one which will use those black shaped items.

IMG_0002.jpg

Some of the stencilling applied that you may notice already cut from the Hi Planes kit.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

More pics later or tomorrow night depends....

( By the way, that Tamiya jar is X something or other silver. I don't like it... Far toooo glittery when sprayed on....)

• Like 5

Some pics of progress from last night:

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The letter 'A' is a replacement because I touched while still slightly wet and spoilt the decal almost. Managed to salvage the majority lucikily. The A is from the kit decals and noticed its everso slightly bigger. So I will probably 'nick' another A from the unused MA decals to replace it.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

As can be seen, its almost complete. Just nose door and canopy and a little tidying up possibly some fine washes to highlight ailerons and intakes here and there.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I didnt realize that they used two different types of Roundel ? The Standard Red, White, & Blue as well as the Hopping Kangaroo ?  

Thats right. The wing ones were slightly smaller standard RAF style, but later they went with the 'Roo ones on the wings too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I didnt realize that they used two different types of Roundel ? The Standard Red, White, & Blue as well as the Hopping Kangaroo ?  

If you're interested CC, this sight is very useful http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a94.htm photos galore!

Looking very nice Paul.

Edited by Courageous
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

If you're interested CC, this sight is very useful http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a94.htm photos galore!

Looking very nice Paul.

Just had a quick look at the link. Quite inspiring and interesting stuff there. To me its sacrilege that the Australian built  ones preserved in the US are finished as U/S ones. Oh well.

Thanks.

• Sad 2