KA-26 Crop duster Hungarian Government

This is an A-model 1/72 scale KA-26 Hungarian crop duster.  Lots of scratch building.  Fuel control levers were added, rotor control locks were added in the cockpit as were tape for the seat belts.  The rotor assembly was practically rebuilt, control tubes and pitch change links were all replaced by styrene rod.  The lifting ring on top of the rotor head was made be a curved piece of wire.  The spray bars were built and added, using sprue rod and tiny cut pieces of plastic rod for the spray nozzles.  Scale rope was used as the pressure lines to the spray bars while thread was used to simulate the high pressure line to the rear spray bar.  The pesticide bin was made from a Testor's Clear Glue cap and reinforced with styrene rod to look like weld.  A drive shaft was added to power the pump at the bottom of the bin as were some odds and ends for the loading port.  I also opened one of the pods and used a 1/144th radial engine to recreate the 325 hp (239 kW) Vedeneyev M-14V-26 radial engine.  I also added copper wire strands to replicate the fire detection system on the inner engine panel.  It was then heavily weathered to replicate oil stains.  See the link below to see why!  Whew! 

(Side note:  My kit caused a squabble among the contest judges, as they never saw a helicopter like this before, so I was awarded silver.  However, the gentleman who built the V-22 Osprey seen in the back ground was president of an IPMS chapter and a master modeler himself, told the judges they got it wrong. He then forfeited his first place gold to me!  That, in itself, was the greatest compliment I ever received in modelling!)

This is one small model helicopter!

IMG_0376

IMG_0522

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

IMG_0525

IMG_0524

IMG_0521

IMG_0558

IMG_0557

IMG_0556

IMG_0559IMG_0523

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 27

Excellent model of an interesting helicopter :thumbsup: - much better than my effort :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_kamovs.html

I had a flight in a Ka-26 a few years ago at Myachkovo near Moscow. It rattled a lot - and when you are told that the rear cabin is only held in place with four bolts, it concentrates the mind (as well as the sphincter!).

We were also told (3 of us) to sit well forward in the cabin for CG reasons.

Happy days

Ken

• Like 2

I love these sort of models, that is just brilliant, the work on all those booms must make this a very hard to pick up model, well done, and great to get First Place in such a meaningful way, well deserved.

also had a look at Ken's family of Kamovs, very impressive as well

Congratulations on winning the first prize and I believe your Kamov Ka-26 really deserved it.Don"t see too many agriculture related aircraft on Britmodeller,so it's a welcome sight.I for one would love to model a Greek PZL-Mielec M18 Dromader (Polish made crop spraying,water bomber etc)but of course,there isn't one around.