WIP Revell 1/72 Halifax I/II

DJJunis

Hello All,

Attached are some pictures of the start of my Revell Halifax build. I expect this one to go as long as the B-17, about 15 months. 

I usually build multiple kits at a time so that extends projects but 15 months is actual time...I'm kind of slow when it comes to larger projects.

I am using Eduards Big Ed set. A first for me. I'm not much into photo-etch so we'll see how it goes.

Also....the Revell boxes.....well how can I put this without being vulgar......are HORRIBLE. :poop:

Well in any case the kit has been washed of mold release and I started on the cockpit area. Well here we go mates on with the pics.

All the Best!

Don

PYf9th4h.jpg

The kit seat has been highly modified. The photo-etched for the seat was not what I thought would be a good representation so I went for this method.

The floor board is photo-etched which looks fantastic.

AFEwKtXh.jpg

QRVITBch.jpg

The cockpit bulkhead at the start of detailing. Rolling the metal was easy if you have a nice set of round end tweezers. There's suppose to be a metal shelving bracket

around the two rectangular boxes...it did not fit. This is not uncommon with photo-etched parts in my experience. I'll make an alternative or of bits of plastic.

zm16CoBh.jpg

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Nice start Don!

Don't forget to bin the Flight Engineer's seat and remove it's pedestal (just behind the pilot's seat).

Do you have any plans for the engine nacelles? They're about the worst feature of this kit.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking a look.

I believe I have some good pics of that area and you bet that area is going to be reworked. In fact the whole interior is going to be looked at.

I just couldn't stand the pilot seat. Like the B-17 the seat it looks like a recliner and had nothing to do with the real thing looks like.

The photo-etch was not of use so modifying and detailing it was the only option. 

As for the nacelles I have several options. I have Aeroclubs full nacelles, I also have the ALM resin correction and the Freightdog resin correction.

I have not decided yet but I'd like to use John's Aeroclub full nacelles and then check which resin radiators look the best. 

All the Best!

Don

Looks like you've got a good plan and a the appropriate bits to deal with the problems. I've got a couple of John's nacelle sets in the stash, I'll be interested to see if the resin parts can make any improvement for the radiators (I've also got some of John's white metal nacelle fronts for the Matchbox kits in the stash as well!)

• Like 1

Dave,

I just don't understand what Revell was thinking with this engineers seat. There are multiple pictures of the folded and unfolded engineers seat next to the pilot.

What's worse is that Eduard provides belts for it in their set.

Back to building!

Don

• Like 1

The CAD design of the kit was outsourced, so the origin of the error wasn't necessarily Revell's. As for Eduard, they have been know to produce enhanced detail for kit parts that don't exist in the original. Some modellers just want "detail" without caring if it's accurate (or even exists), if you've checked out the work in progress threads on here you'll have seen a few of these. Fine if that's what you want, but it doesn't do anything for modellers wanting accuracy. It's "fake modelling" instead of "fake news"! For most things the correct info is out there, you only have to ask if you can't find it yourself, that's one of the big advantages of fourms like this.

Should be an easy fix, and I'm sure you've got the necessary info.

• Like 1

Nice! I'll be following along on this, I also have this kit and the Aeroclub corrected engines, and I could certainly stand to learn the trouble spots ahead of time. (Which is a subtle plea to go with the Aeroclub nacelles, I suppose.)

3 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Keep up the good work Don!

At risk of heading off on a tangent, does anyone know off hand which issue of Aviation News contained 1/72 plans for the Halifax?

Thanks V&V!

I am not sure about Aviation News having a set of drawings but Squadron Publications published an Aerodata book with drawings of several bombers in it including the B-17 , B-24 and Halifax in 1/72 scale.

These are very good drawings for exterior details...including the infamous Halifax nacelles.

Unfortunately I am at work and don't have the particulars handy. It is out of production but you can still find them on E-bay or at swap meets.

All the Best!

Don

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Nice! I'll be following along on this, I also this kit and the Aeroclub corrected engines, and I could certainly stand to learn the trouble spots ahead of time. (Which is a subtle plea to go with the Aeroclub nacelles, I suppose.)

Edward,

Thanks and welcome to this long and winding road.

I'm sure I'll be doing the Aeroclub nacelles. I just want to look at the radiators on each to see which is cleaner/more accurate.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The CAD design of the kit was outsourced, so the origin of the error wasn't necessarily Revell's. As for Eduard, they have been know to produce enhanced detail for kit parts that don't exist in the original. Some modellers just want "detail" without caring if it's accurate (or even exists), if you've checked out the work in progress threads on here you'll have seen a few of these. Fine if that's what you want, but it doesn't do anything for modellers wanting accuracy. It's "fake modelling" instead of "fake news"! For most things the correct info is out there, you only have to ask if you can't find it yourself, that's one of the big advantages of fourms like this.

Should be an easy fix, and I'm sure you've got the necessary info.

Oh boy ...outsourced.....familiar with that I am ....can you say India for a few weeks on more than one occasion.

Well as I had to do someone is responsible for checking it....I can't let Revell off the hook for that. But I definitely can see how it happens.

I completely agree on the detail. In my mind I am going to try and use the bits that make sense to me , use bits of plastic or just not do it. One has to keep in mind that

most of this will never be seen again...but yes I do get the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction...and I make sure a take pictures!!!!! :lol:

I really should have done a movie on me trying to bend the photo-etched into a seat.....then I looked at the pictures...then binned it. It would have been a great laugh for all.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Keep up the good work Don!

At risk of heading off on a tangent, does anyone know off hand which issue of Aviation News contained 1/72 plans for the Halifax?

Like this? There are more to this set.

Handley-Page Halifax b

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2018 at 8:12 AM, The_Lancaster said:

So far so good! The floorboards look awesome.The Revell boxes are awful though if they're the end-opening ones, can't help but snap bits off trying to get the sprues out of the box.

Lanc,

Thanks so much. In regards to "THE BOX" that is exactly what's happening so I try and minimize putting things into it and retained the plastic bags. Oh well the B-17 was the same and i dealt with it but after a few months that box is a real mess.

Added a few more bits and now I have to see how I'm going to create the Engineers seat.....wire or plastic?

All the Best!

Don

15 hours ago, Avereda said:

I’ll be following along, I made a start on the same kit over a year ago but it seems to have stalled a bit

Avereda,

Completely understand...these larger projects take a while...not so much because of the modelling but it's the enthusiasm you must maintain which is difficult. But I have 

pictures of the Halifax and Hendon in mine line of sight which may help. But I'm sure I'll put it aside for a few days here and there.

Thanks for looking in.

All the Best!

Don

16 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Like this? There are more to this set.

Handley-Page Halifax b

Chris

Chris & All,

These are the same drawings in the Squadron Aerodata book. Of course having full sheets like this is awesome. As a long time Mechanical Designer these drawings are brilliant. 

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Lanc,

Thanks so much. In regards to "THE BOX" that is exactly what's happening so I try and minimize putting things into it and retained the plastic bags. Oh well the B-17 was the same and i dealt with it but after a few months that box is a real mess.

Added a few more bits and now I have to see how I'm going to create the Engineers seat.....wire or plastic?

All the Best!

Don

Unless you want to preserve the box, have you tried sellotaping the end shut and cutting a flap in the top of the box with your scalpel?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The_Lancaster said:

Unless you want to preserve the box, have you tried sellotaping the end shut and cutting a flap in the top of the box with your scalpel?

You know I did that on the C-17 kit and it worked well...I may go ahead and to that...thanks Lanc!

• Like 1

That's something I've thought about doing with those wretched end-opening boxes. Sounds like a good idea. Another 'hilarious' quality of the those end-opening boxes is that they're great for losing parts, as the part silently slips out of the end to wind up in another Universe. Good luck with your Halibag, either this one or the B.III are definitely on my short list of to-buy kits.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.