F-4J Cabriolet

On the 18th May 1988 Rich Lepman, a US exchange pilot assigned to the Tigers, was lined up on the runway at the annual APC at RAF Akrotiri with his back seater Steve Smyth. They were part of a pairs take off for the sortie flying F-4J(uk) ZE362/V with a standard gun pod fitted. The start of the take off sequence went smoothly and as normal, but just as the Phantom went into V1, the front canopy detached much to the surprise of the crew. They then had to flying around for 20 minutes Phantom Cabriolet style until the runway was cleared of debris and a normal landing was made.

39813086021_3bb32fd6f9_c.jpg 

28034340469_45eed47ed2_c.jpg 

39103331194_2ab05fde0d_c.jpg 

39813086651_c550db3e4a_c.jpg

39103331634_45561d2e26_c.jpg

39813084601_0cb52dcf00_c.jpg

28034339509_2abbd6135c_c.jpg

39781373052_093888c915_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 53

Why did the canopy detach?

I assume the crew were ok and the aircraft repaired? Surprised it took 20 minutes to clear the runway, that's a long time to have to stooge around with 300mph winds rushing in!

• Like 1

Wow, a great and inspired (as well as inspiring!) build! Any background on the model and how you went about making the dio?

An interesting story as well! I'm surprised that the rear canopy didn't shatter or blow out, with the sudden build-up of all that dynamic pressure in the back.

J

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Why did the canopy detach?

I assume the crew were ok and the aircraft repaired? Surprised it took 20 minutes to clear the runway, that's a long time to have to stooge around with 300mph winds rushing in!

Can`t recall why it happened but everyone survived and was ok. I was told Rich Lepman climbed down and exclaimed `that was awesome....` before retiring to the bar.

5 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Wow, a great and inspired (as well as inspiring!) build! Any background on the model and how you went about making the dio?

An interesting story as well! I'm surprised that the rear canopy didn't shatter or blow out, with the sudden build-up of all that dynamic pressure in the back.

J

WIP link below and the base comes from Coastal Kits.

• Like 2

Great build and a very nice depiction.

Given your in depth knowledge of the J, you seem to have the grey shade perfect.

I bet the riggers loved that job of getting a new canopy to fit.

In 1989 the nav, banged out of FGR2 XV430 A on 19(F) Sqn, after a veeery close airmiss with an ECM Canberra. During the rear cockpit rebuild, the riggers finally got the 3rd canopy to fit with a "bit" of adjustment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

The title really intigued me on this one, looks sooooooo cool! Is the base home made?

I wish I could take credit for the base but it was bought from Coastal Kits which have a great selection of bases. 

• Like 1