Hoping for more information on this No. 214 Sqn Stirling.

Mark Joyce

This is one of the options on the Printscale decal sheet that I'm hoping to use on my Italeri Stirling Mk.I

NvmHdk2l.jpg

I've searched the Internet along with my books but haven't located any photographs of this particular Stirling.  Does anyone know of any?  I would like to believe that Printscale had something to base its decals on.  The main things I'm hoping to confirm are that it has the astrodome on top of the fuselage (Italeri has options for with or without one) and if it has the FN7A dorsal turret.

Many thanks in advance!

Mark

Here's the 'General's' excellent model of the same serialed Stirling that you've mentioned. 

I've not read the complete thread, however it may prove valuable for both build and paint stages.

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Chris and Dave; I do appreciate the replies.  Apparently my memory is quite poor, for I had checked out several builds of the Italeri Stirling, including the General's outstanding build when I first started my Stirling many moons ago (I build very slowly and quite erratically) but somehow had forgotten he had used those same markings.  I'll just use the excuse that I just recently jumped into the kit again and decided to go with the 214 kite!

Again, many thanks to both of you for answering my post so promptly.

Mark

• Like 1

There is a photograph of this Stirling in Bowyer, The Stirling Story, at p.154.

It is of poor quality and the presence of an astrodome can not be confirmed from this image.

The image, being a front port quarter view, allows the wing to obstruct the mid-upper turret.

Bowyer lists this aircraft as a Mk I but states at p.336 that it was the last Stirling in its production run (R9349 - R9358).

He also states that an aircraft from an earlier serial, specifically R9188, was converted to a Mk III.

Michael

21 hours ago, Michael51 said:

There is a photograph of this Stirling in Bowyer, The Stirling Story, at p.154.

It is of poor quality and the presence of an astrodome can not be confirmed from this image.

The image, being a front port quarter view, allows the wing to obstruct the mid-upper turret.

Bowyer lists this aircraft as a Mk I but states at p.336 that it was the last Stirling in its production run (R9349 - R9358).

He also states that an aircraft from an earlier serial, specifically R9188, was converted to a Mk III.

Michael

Thank you, Michael.  That's about the one Stirling book I don't have!  I might have to track down a copy.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1