Chieftain Mk.10 Berlin Brigade

16 hours ago, DAG058 said:

Yes Duxford had a Mk.10 in the Berlin Brigade colours. I am sure it was parked up at the front doors of the Land Warfare Hall, however I don’t think it is there now. Does anyone know where it went?

Don't know if it's the same one, but there is a small military museum in Maldon, Essex, and they had theirs painted in the Berlin scheme.

John.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slightly slower over the last few weeks. I have been managing to catch a few minutes here and there at the bench. The tracks are now fully painted and the track pads are on. 

I’m hoping that I will manage to get the lower half painted in black this weekend. Then I will get it masked up. Photos to follow!

• Like 3

resized_eff23af3-0106-4c49-af4f-4e0ccada

This one is fully primed up. The grey is a very good match for the camouflage so I plan to add the white and brown blocks to this to finish the scheme. When priming I painted the rear decks in black and masked them up. Now I just need to figure out how to do the rest of the scheme. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks great so far ...  I really need one of these. 

Yes you do, everyone needs at least one! It's a great kit!

I have started preparing for the main paint, it's been very time consuming but I'm enjoying it. Photos to follow. 

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do they have pre-cut masks to get the correct pattern ? Or would i have to guesstimate the size and placement of the different shapes and pattern ? 

There are none in the kit but I think there is a company in the US that does them for around $25. If you do it yourself just be aware that the pattern call-out in the kit it wrong. Some good reference material is essential. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG058 said:

There are none in the kit but I think there is a company in the US that does them for around $25. If you do it yourself just be aware that the pattern call-out in the kit it wrong. Some good reference material is essential. 

i read on a site called the modelling news,  this  kit was reviewed and built in the berlin scheme, the chap that built and painted it made his own masks, he was talking about producing them and selling them, its only been a month or two ago i read it, may be worth checking out dag, regards

Glynn 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of masking later...

resized_2dc2327d-c77c-407f-9336-01bd16db

Half the hull is done and all of the turret. This has taken quite a lot of time but I have been snowed in so what better way to spend my time. I have masked off the areas that will be grey. I then plan to go in with the white and spray them areas. I will then mask up the whit boxes and go in with the brown. You can bet there will be over spray and alterations needing done but that's the plan for now!

You can also see I started painting the barrel, that still needs quite a bit of work. The barrel isn't glued into place yet, if you ever build this kit I recommend leaving it off until last minute for ease of painting and masking.

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

i read on a site called the modelling news,  this  kit was reviewed and built in the berlin scheme, the chap that built and painted it made his own masks, he was talking about producing them and selling them, its only been a month or two ago i read it, may be worth checking out dag, regards

Glynn 

Cheers Glynn, I think that may be where I saw them! I decided to do it the old fashioned way! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

How are you getting on with the painting on this?

We're not far off the half-way point in the GB

There is slight progress, the white is down. I am on course for completing this in time. Hopefully more bench time and photos to come this week.

• Like 2

resized_dc6fb95c-423b-44d7-ae93-2558370c

As promised here is a photo. The white is down. I dread to think what the bleed lines will be like, we will deal with that in time though! Next will be masking the white panels for the brown to go on.

• Like 3

resized_f23a2c63-7f4f-4516-ae8f-a8efa412

Tadaah! 

That is the brown down and the masking removed. As expected there is a lot of touching up to do. With all the bump and textures on this one I think it would be impossible to get it perfect first time around. I will now be going in block by block with tape and bits of card, just to tighten up the edges. I will probably need to go in with a brush and attack a few parts too.

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 12