Chieftain Mk.10 Berlin Brigade

Ok so it's time for one of the parts I have been fearing...

resized_927ff7f2-ba2c-4fde-8cae-5f139f43

Tracks. Lots and lots of tracks.

As you can see they are well moulded. Track pads come seperatley so I'll save them for another day.

resized_4113245c-405c-4e98-896c-d91569ff

The links aren't clickable and will require glue. First off I grouped them into sets of 5. This makes them easy to manage. Then gave them a touch of Tamiya extra thin and let it soak into the joins. After this I joined the groups together to make a long section.

resized_adff7835-0945-4583-a845-92e2dcf5

Once the glue has dried the links are still pretty malleable. I wrapped the long sections around the running gear so they fall into the rough shape that is needed.

resized_9ccd16ad-991d-407f-a0e0-9e71f9b4

I continued the process by adding another section. I will be leaving one section out so that I can remove the tracks for painting. If you really want though you could even get away with leaving the top parts on the return rollers out, they won't be seen once the model is complete.

resized_4bcecca7-b3ce-4378-98ac-205f75d6

I have completed both sides. It was actually very simple and certainly not worth stressing about. The amount of times I have gone to start this kit and then been frightened off by the tracks is rediculous. If your are put off by a kit for these reasons please use this as inspiration! This took just over an hour to do both sides, not bad at all.

• Like 4

On 31/01/2018 at 5:05 AM, DAG058 said:

I bet that took some time!

I think each set of tracks is made up of 97 links. Each with individual track pads to add. The gluing together should be fine, it’s more the technique of how to get the right shape, and to be able to remove them for painting, that has got me thinking. I hope to make a start tonight.

Good grief. Sounds like a challenge! I don’t feel so apprehensive about the Mi-10 undercarriage now I know what you’re going to have to do.

• Like 1

Here are the tracks now that the glue is dry. I have removed them and they'll be placed to one side ready for painting. I'm thinking I will paint and weather the metal of the tracks on their own, and paint the pads separately and add them afterwards. Painting them once they are attached would mean I would have to go in accurately with a brush and would add unnecessary time onto the build. Does any have any thoughts? 

resized_5b780d11-2abf-460f-942c-6f554d8e

I have also mated the upper and lower hulls. It's really starting to resemble a Chieftain now! The parts went together very well, top marks to Takom so far! 

resized_beef87f0-d321-4df9-93eb-c4250fcd

Rear Hull section added. Here is where they put the L60 engine whilst it's wasn't in a REME Workshop.

resized_c27edffb-b20d-4ea7-8be7-eb7344bd

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2018 at 10:45 PM, DAG058 said:

Here are the tracks now that the glue is dry. I have removed them and they'll be placed to one side ready for painting. I'm thinking I will paint and weather the metal of the tracks on their own, and paint the pads separately and add them afterwards. Painting them once they are attached would mean I would have to go in accurately with a brush and would add unnecessary time onto the build. Does any have any thoughts? 

resized_5b780d11-2abf-460f-942c-6f554d8e

I have also mated the upper and lower hulls. It's really starting to resemble a Chieftain now! The parts went together very well, top marks to Takom so far! 

resized_beef87f0-d321-4df9-93eb-c4250fcd

Rear Hull section added. Here is where they put the L60 engine whilst it's wasn't in a REME Workshop.

resized_c27edffb-b20d-4ea7-8be7-eb7344bd

Respect the comment about the power pack spending it's life in a REME workshop.

Interesting thought about painting, I have nearly always painted everything before assembly as I don't see how I could paint fiddly bits after assembly, like the rubber tyres on the wheels and suspension components....

Build looks great, I can't wait to see the Berlin Brigade paint finish.

Edited by Jeepboy
Edited because I just noticed my really poor typing!
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2018 at 00:24, DAG058 said:

Happy Birthday Britmodeller!

You're actually closer to the 11th birthday now than the 10th! :lol: How time flies, eh? ;)

Nice progress so far, let's see some more :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DAG058 said:

... Here is where they put the L60 engine whilst it's wasn't in a REME Workshop.

:lol: A little before my time but I did hear stories to that effect. "Designed to run on any fuel. Didn't."

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments, I'm glad you are enjoying the build! No progress to report today. 

22 hours ago, Julien said:

Looking good, you have to love a Chieftain, used to see them running around Germany when I was a lad. Also I have this one to build.

Julien

I am sure you will enjoy it Julien, it's a great kit. It will bring them memories of Germany flooding back. 

5 hours ago, Jeepboy said:

Respect the comment about the power pack spending it's life in a REME workshop.

Interesting thought about painting, I have nearly always painte everyting before assembly as I on't see how i coul paint fiddly bits after assemly (like the ruber tyres on the wheels and suspension components....

Build looks great, can't wait to see the Berlin Brigade paint finish.

The bonus of this scheme is that the lower half is all in NATO black. That should hopefully make it simple when painting the suspension and wheels etc. The top half, well that's another story! 

4 hours ago, Dads203 said:

That's building up well Dag, Brave man doing the Berlin cam scheme fella ! 

Cheers matey. Brave or stupid, maybe even both. It had to be done though! Any advice you may have to offer as a seasoned armour builder will be most welcome.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

You're actually closer to the 11th birthday now than the 10th! :lol: How time flies, eh? ;)

Nice progress so far, let's see some more :)

Cheers Mike, hopefully I will get it done in time, I don't fancy modifying it to a Mk.11!

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Smashing job and lesson on the tracks, good to hear they're stress free 

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn and thanks for your support thus far, very much appreciated! 

39 minutes ago, Col. said:

:lol: A little before my time but I did hear stories to that effect. "Designed to run on any fuel. Didn't."

The poor Chieftain, it really did deserve better!

• Like 1

resized_5962cd47-bf50-41b2-84c1-d7c03379

Stowage bins, louvres, drivers hatch & periscope, towing eyes and a few other bits added. The instructions tell to add a few very small parts, including some PE. I will wait to add these later though, there is no way they would survive the painting stage. 

There is is still some work to be done with the hull before I can make a start on the turret.

• Like 5

resized_36835383-2693-4f83-bb69-3734d9ca

A little more progress tonight. There isn't a great deal to show, the most noticeable thing is the addition of some PE. There is more to go on but it's a start. I am not hugely experienced when it comes to PE and I don't have all the fancy tools for cutting and folding so it is important that I take my time, I don't want to mess this one up! 

I have spent quite a bit of time building up and cleaning small parts such as headlamp cages and exhausts. These won't be added until the painting it done.

Thanks again to all who are following and commenting.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s looking really nice. Those links - they would drive me insane if I was ever to build a tank!

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Trevor

8 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Nice work! Glad I am not doing it though. The tracks! Good luck!

Thank you. The joining of the tracks honestly wasn't that bad, I really wouldn't let it put you off trying a kit. I'm glad your enjoying the build, I'm keeping a steady pace at the moment which is good.

Tonight I have continued with some PE work, finishing off what I started last night. I have added the lifting handles and the fasteners for the front mud guards.

resized_3ba36027-421e-4573-a353-7154b2b8

resized_940b5118-9fe0-4ce3-8dae-7d826f6d

I have finished the build part of the Hull for now. The parts that are missing are either parts that will make painting difficult, or parts that are likely to be damaged. They will be painted separately and added later.

3 of the large sprues now lay empty so I feel like I have made good progress. I reckon I am about half way through the construction and so far I am loving this kit. Takom have done a smashing job, if you haven't got one sat in your stash you really should get one. Up next, the Turret! 

• Like 5

I have made a start on the turret.

The details in the moulding is excellent. One part has to be removed and I have highlighted it in red for you to see. I used that same technique as previously, a chisel type blade and some sanding sticks.

resized_e72dfe9d-5577-49d9-9d74-7aa3a707

resized_4adb19cc-195a-4203-9c82-0512e275

• Like 3

Now it really looks like a Chieftain! 

resized_34232db2-1030-4373-82db-97133edc

The turret still needs quite a few parts added and a bit of cleaning up. As does the barrel. The turret took a little bit of effort to like up the parts, as it come in 4 seperate segments. I haven't glued thed barrel on yet, I think I might leave that right until the end to make painting easier. 

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 9

Hi Everyone,

I am late to this, and sadly a ship fiend. However, I am sure I saw a Chieftain in this scheme at Duxford's Museum of Land Warfare years ago. Am I right in thinking this?

Sincerely,

Will.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiserguy said:

Hi Everyone,

I am late to this, and sadly a ship fiend. However, I am sure I saw a Chieftain in this scheme at Duxford's Museum of Land Warfare years ago. Am I right in thinking this?

Sincerely,

Will.

Welcome! 

Yes Duxford had a Mk.10 in the Berlin Brigade colours. I am sure it was parked up at the front doors of the Land Warfare Hall, however I don’t think it is there now. Does anyone know where it went?

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Very nice Dag, it does look a well engineered kit, looking forward to seeing the paint go down

on this one fella, any figures planned ? 

Cheers again Dan! The kit really is smashing. I have got the Chieftain Marksman SPAAG, also from Takom, in the stash. I’ll be planning on adding more in the future though.

I don’t think I will be doing figures, I don’t have the talent for them unfortunately. The faces always look like a Picasso and they look like they’ve bought their rig off of a Sunday market. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

Welcome! 

Yes Duxford had a Mk.10 in the Berlin Brigade colours. I am sure it was parked up at the front doors of the Land Warfare Hall, however I don’t think it is there now. Does anyone know where it went?

Cheers again Dan! The kit really is smashing. I have got the Chieftain Marksman SPAAG, also from Takom, in the stash. I’ll be planning on adding more in the future though.

I don’t think I will be doing figures, I don’t have the talent for them unfortunately. The faces always look like a Picasso and they look like they’ve bought their rig off of a Sunday market. 

Practice makes perfect mate, it’s the only way with figures I’m afraid ;)

• Like 1