New Airfix 1/48 Mustang, 303 Sqn

This is Airfix's new Mustang finished as the mount of S/L Witold Tokuciewski of 303 Sqn. It was originally going to be in a RNZAF scheme but the black & yellow chequerboards on the fuselage sides disintegrated & curled up so, in the words of Wile E Coyote, back to the old drawing board. In the end I used  Kagero's Mustangs over Europe, part 1, I also used Eduard's Zoom set for the cockpit. The kit goes together well but looks a little odd when you open the box due to the clever way it is engineered. This is my first attempt at NMF, I used AK Interactive paints which performed well although the black base was a bit patchy - but that was probably me. Next NMF aircraft will be the Eduard Mirage III.

Any comments or criticisms welcome as always.

25377186-4c13-42c1-a98f-c787a1ab6261.jpg

6c843f4c-9aa2-48c4-936b-b5e863269687.jpg

988e0573-1e82-40c9-b520-273f5ab8369b.jpg

a96e94fb-0e5b-4045-9140-21bb6cb2489d.jpg

71145e8b-9ba3-4b2b-9bf9-9cdff2505706.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Pete

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bear Paw said:

Very good model, excellent finish just waiting to see when the first of the expected comment turns up. 😏

Andrew. 

An unwritten rule is that mistakes will become apparent after posting!

Pete

2 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

Very good model, excellent finish just waiting to see when the first of the expected comment turns up. 😏

Andrew. 

to be fair Pete has invited comment ..excellent model, just needed the louvred intakes for this machine if nit-picking..which I hate doing, in fact forget I even mentioned it..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

to be fair Pete has invited comment ..excellent model, just needed the louvred intakes for this machine if nit-picking..which I hate doing, in fact forget I even mentioned it..

You’re right. Plan A for the Kiwi scheme had the intakes as per kit, I never thought about them when I chose the Polish scheme, it was only after Bear Paw’s post that I realised. D’oh!

Pete

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 303sqn said:

The newly published Polish Wings 23 covers 303 Squadron's Mustang IVs and has details and history of this Mustang and others of the squadron. Model Maker Decals will be releasing a sheet to go with the book.

http://www.modelmaker.com.pl/D48102-303-Squadron-North-Ameriacan-Mustangs/1379/

Thanks for the info 303sqn.  I’ve got a quite a few in the Polish Wings series & am sure another wouldn’t go amiss. Decals look good too. 

Pete

Edited by Buzby061

Very good looking Mustang with a convincing NMF.

I won't take Bear Paw's bait and get into a discussion about NMF P-51s having puttied, sanded and silver doped wings, at least in front of the main spar. Maybe in this case the paint finish had already worn off… ;-)

Excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

More nit-picking. KM112 was a P-51K with an Aeroproducts prop.

7 hours ago, spaddad said:

tasty..always nice to see the usual suspects get their denigrations in under the guise of faint praise

'denigrations ' .... no, not at all.  Certainly not snide either

The AJ Press 'Polish Mustang units' is THE book to get  - as it comes with the decal sheet

mustang0.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, FalkeEins said:

'denigrations ' .... no, not at all.  Certainly not snide either.

The AJ Press 'Polish Mustang units' is THE book to get  - as it comes with the decal sheet in three scales

mustang0.jpg

Super model, excellent nmf. I didn't bother with "what shall not be mentioned :tease:" on my P-51 and I don't care, I enjoyed it and like the look of it just as I guess you do. To my eyes looks like a well used Mustang. :goodjob:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

The AJ Press 'Polish Mustang units' is THE book to get  - as it comes with the decal sheet in three scales.

All these people trying to separate me from my hard earned cash!

Pete

Edited by Buzby061

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Super model, excellent nmf. I didn't bother with "what shall not be mentioned :tease:" on my P-51 and I don't care, I enjoyed it and like the look of it just as I guess you do. To my eyes looks like a well used Mustang. :goodjob:

I totally agree Jasper Dog, I have never filled any wing panel lines on any of the P51 kits I have made. 

Andrew. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

A man after my own heart!

Pete