277 Sqn ASR Defiants.

tank152

Hi, I've just purchased a Airfix 1/48 Defiant and will be looking at doing the 277 Sqn option on the Xtradecal sheet once I've received it.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48157

There are a couple of views, plan & side, of the stowage pack on the sheet but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction to get some better information, views and dimensions  of these as I'm going to have to make some up myself. I've done a little searching but can't find anything.

Thanks, Tim.

Thanks Graham, will take a look for that book, I quite fancy building the Eduard Lysander so the book will be worth searching out, I could even do one of those as a 277 Sqn one.

It seems that book is long oop, so no doubt sells at a good price, if anyone has that book and it does contain dims etc maybe I could have a scan of it, by pm if necessary.

Tim.

But that pic is from a colorized film sequence

For example the yellow ring of the roundel is depicted much too broad,

I would not  rely on an obviously colorized shot.

Cheers, Martin

• Like 1

I agree it is a colorized film and like you say it would be wrong to rely on exact colours but surely if someone has gone to the trouble why would they not colorize the container if it was yellow?

Knowing nothing about these things though, I appreciate all input.

Looking at  Little friends there are a few pics of the containers under  P-47s maybe some were yellow whilst others not?

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Style=list&Group=5ers

Tim.

6 hours ago, tank152 said:

I agree it is a colorized film and like you say it would be wrong to rely on exact colours but surely if someone has gone to the trouble why would they not colorize the container if it was yellow?

Looking at  Little friends there are a few pics of the containers under  P-47s maybe some were yellow whilst others not?

Tim.

On some of the 5th ERS P-47's the nose and tail fairings for the dinghy packs were seen to be red or yellow; in b&w photos some are in a light color, possibly silver doped. I don't recall whether the fairings were made of wood or metal. The dinghy packs seemed to be identical to the ones fitted to RAF ASR airplanes. BTW, Loon Models, distributed by Roll Models here across the pond, used to carry an excellent 1/48 resin detail set that had two dinghy packs, smoke markers, and their mounting rack, to be used on P-47's, but would work for your Defiant project....I have a set and they are very good. They have been OOP for a while, but Roll might still have one, or you could search auction sites or trade tables at contests. ( Stock  number is LO48219) Other than the smoke markers  and small stores rack, the dinghy pack doesn't look to hard to scratchbuild, and if you did an empty rack, even easier. (Easy for me to say, right?) As Jerry posted, Freightdog did a set in 1/72, but just had a pair of packs, no smoke markers/rack, IIRC.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

After read through the thread Jerry posted the link for I did a search at Hannants and lo and behold they had 3 of those detail sets, I couldn't believe my luck it goes without saying a couple of them were soon in my basket!!

Thanks for your input.

Tim.

4 hours ago, tank152 said:

Hi Mike,

After read through the thread Jerry posted the link for I did a search at Hannants and lo and behold they had 3 of those detail sets, I couldn't believe my luck it goes without saying a couple of them were soon in my basket!!

Thanks for your input.

Tim.

Tim,

Glad I could help!

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2018 at 5:04 AM, tank152 said:

Tim.

Hi

logically i can see the dinghy inside being a yellow colour 

but imho the container, for operational use it didnt matter ?  

so maybe they didn't waste the paint in wartime ? 

cheers

jerry