Thanks guys!

No resin on this one, just plastic, filler, Milliput and screws!

Here is the corrected cockpit area.

40701058122_9f9d287115_b.jpg

I’m now working on the nacelles......

Trevor

• Like 1

And so dear reader the engine nacelles.

Looking at the photos and also by reference to Aeroclub’s drawings I’ve come to the conclusion that I need the small bore intakes, so that’s what I’ve plumped for.

Here they are in situ

25873035227_f1ab76dccb_b.jpg

25873035237_033a54d6e4_b.jpg

38933535510_9068c1ee9a_b.jpg

38933535390_84fdaa3011_b.jpg

Fit is approximate only and there are ripples in the surface of one of the nacelles.

You know what’s coming now don’t you......:dull:

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few hours later I now have a structurally complete Meatbox! About time too I hear you say.

There will now be a prolonged period of micromeshing to remove the most excessive areas of scratches and gouges.

I’ve also snipped off the wing tip nav lights too and will add clear lenses with scrap clear sprue in due course.

40749016701_95d5bb4040_b.jpg

40749017171_732779a12d_b.jpg

25877888267_210b7e53aa_b.jpg

Seeing the wing wheel wells reminds me of other build comments saying that the wheel well walls don’t reach all the way to the roof. This is true and my intention to amend this error is to use a pin and some PVA adhesive. It should be quick and mess free.

The final thing I intend to do is to busy-up the area behind the cockpit opening that will be visible under the canopy.

Then and only then will I waft the rattlecan primer.

Trevor

• Like 3

It really coming together well now Trevor, I admire your dogged persistence with this, a lesser modeller would have kicked for touch by now I reckon. I think I should go dig my MPM kit out & give it a cuddle & tell it how much I appreciate it. :D

Steve.

@stevehnz

:thanks: I’m glad you’re enjoying the show.

Yes there is dogged determination, but I had memories of how much filler this thing sucked up first time around. I look at it it as  solving one problem at a time, because otherwise it’d never have left the box.

Some kits I get heartily sick of as I fight them into submission (my French Fancy Airfix 1/72 Mosquito springs unbidden to memory), whilst with this build I know that I'll end up with a variant of a plane that I’ve not come across before.

It'll also make a decent paperweight.

Trevor

• Like 2

I’m back!

Not done much recently but I’m back in harness. Having said that though I didn’t whittle any plastic yesterday as I went to see someone else’s modelling. So as a little diversion, I offer you these....

40834654832_7023caa7a7_b.jpg

40834654912_50b76805d2_b.jpg

40834654782_214fb6b9db_b.jpg

Astonishing. The figures are 1.8m tall. Over 2,000 years old they are in Liverpool until September. If you’re in the area, they are well worth some of your time. Tickets are disappearing fast but some are held back for the day.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/exhibitions/terracotta-warriors/

So where was I? Oh aye, as a complete and utter contrast here is my first update of the day.

Micromeshed, it is now ready for some Tamiya undercoat. First off, I’ve applied PVA glue to the openings.

26004083657_4b7541497f_b.jpg

As mentioned earlier I’ve also used this technique to close the gaps in the main undercarriage wells.

26004083667_c58e108623_b.jpg

Less messy than putty and if I’ve I get it wrong, easily fixable.

So I’ll wait for the glue to go off then spray. Once done and assuming everything is ok, I’ll then spray the underside white as the base for the PRU blue.

Stay tuned!

Trevor

• Like 3

Not bad. Not perfect either, but a lot better than I thought, as I was sure there would be lots of scratches and uneven bits and dips everywhere. I think I’m about 80-85% happy with the result.

40171657014_7ebe339129_b.jpg

40171656874_a4d15052e8_b.jpg

The PVA trick in the wheel well worked out too.

40171656774_82997f96e8_b.jpg

It now looks like a model rather than a disparate collection of bits and filler!

Next is a pass over the underside with the white.

More later!

Trevor

• Like 8

@John D.C. MastersThank you for the kind words!

Thankfully the iPhone camera hides many sins. For example there are joins visible to the naked eye on the engine intakes. They are deep enough to warrant a smear of filler. There are some visible join lines at the wing/fuselage structure. But hey that’s what the primer stage is meant to highlight.

And remember, this is fun. Right?

I feel that the camouflage will be appearing in the next few days :penguin:

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 2

Looks great now. 

I think you have done a good job filling in the scratching and blending it all together. 

I like the use of PVA in the wheel bays. Great idea. 

Seems like the end is beckoning. 

Colin 

• Thanks 1

@Colin W

Many thanks. I think a couple of sessions attending to the blemishes is in order and then on will go the Dark Sea Grey uppers then masking for the Dark Green.

I have an urge to rush this bit, but knowing me, I’d make a Horlicks of it. I’ve got plenty of time.........

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Also fun will be locating a reinforced undercarriage to cope with the weight of all that filler.

Just realised......

Where are the locating holes for the main undercarriage????

I’ll have to retrieve my NF.12 from my AMARC for a shufti. I was going to get it out for a compare and contrast shot on roll-out anyway.

Trevor

• Like 2

Just a quick update!

Humbrol 163 was rattlecanned and left to harden overnight.

27116181028_72ee1238ac_b.jpg

I thought that I had some Dark Green 164 in a can too. I didn’t so it’s back to the hairy stick.

27116180938_b5cba0bbfc_b.jpg

That’s a brand new pot too. That’s one thing I don’t like about acrylics. They’re not exactly ‘one coat brushable’ are they? I’ll do a bit more later. Let it harden overnight and then give it a rub with the micromesh.

It’s coming together. Maybe finish by next weekend?

Then I got me a Novo Firefly to do......

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 7

What you can’t see in the last photo (well I can’t on my iPhone!), is that the port wing especially suffers from prominent brush marks. So I’ve just had a session with a well worn piece of wet and dry to gently remove the worst of the ridges. Obviously it now looks a bit ropey, but a couple of more coats should cure that.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 2

On 20/03/2018 at 3:00 PM, Max Headroom said:

Just realised......

Where are the locating holes for the main undercarriage????

I’ll have to retrieve my NF.12 from my AMARC for a shufti. I was going to get it out for a compare and contrast shot on roll-out anyway.

Trevor

I’ve not read this thread for a while and it’s inspiring to see so much work going into an old, “pocket money” kit to produce something unique.

The main undercarriage legs locate into the shallow fore-and-aft depressions adjacent to the engine nacelles in the forward end of the bays; it’s not one of the kit’s better design features, and all but guaranteed to frustrate “little Johnny” and his dad (other children and significant adult others are available, check local stockists for availability) on a wet Saturday afternoon when there’s no sport on telly.

It may be late in the day but you will probably need to extend the cockpit opening rearwards in order to get the seat in: I have vague memories of having to do so with my first Mk. 8 conversion.  On the subject of memories that ancient copy of SAM in your last photo brings back some too: happier, simpler times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1