Stridsvagn 122 ... Leopard from the North !!

Etienne

Hello,

now that I have finally finished my 2017 projects, it's time to begin a new one ... so I'll build a Strv122, the swedish version of the Leopard 2A5.

This tank has some specific features on the frontal armor, rear hull plate and turret ... some are nicely done in the Hobby Boss kit but the general aspect, and particularly the anti-skid patches, are awful so I decided to enter a kitbashing process : hull and drivetrain from Tamiya, HB turret with Tamiya armor and a little bit of scratch to make everything's right !!

I was lucky enough to get the HB kit with the Tamiya parts from another modeller (as well as a Danish Leopard with Tamiya parts for another project) for a very decent price ... so now everything is in order to start the project B)

Here are a few pics of the first steps ... checking the adaptation of HB parts on the Tamiya hull, and vice versa on the turret ... the fit is really nice, I just had to cut the rear plate and the front skirts on the hull and everything goes well !! As a matter of fact, the HB kit is based on the Tamiya's so no big surprise :huh:

dsc00064.jpg
dsc00066.jpg
dsc00065.jpg
dsc00067.jpg
dsc00110.jpg
dsc00112.jpg
dsc00111.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 5

Hello,

I worked on the rear deck and rear plate today ... studying Strv 122 pics made me realized that the tools setting is specific and very different from a german Leopard 2A5 : first of all, the right setup doesn't have a saw so I had to erase the fasteners and redo the diagonal weld across the panel.

dsc00115.jpg

The shovels are also very specific, their brackets too, so it's very likely that I'll have to scratch the shovels and brackets as Tamiya (of course, they didn't claim to make a swedish tank) and HB (too bad, they tried to do a swedish one) reproduced german tools ... not an easy task but will do. I also took the opportunity to remove the engraved handles and replace them with wire handles, far better looking B)

dsc00114.jpg

Then to finish the day's session, I drilled the exhaust grills that will be replaced by PE grills ... and reproduced the rear plate's weld.

dsc00116.jpg

That's all for today, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

been a while since I last posted ... hard work around the Strv122 and lack of motivation mainly :huh:

The base kit from Hobby Boss being quite inaccurate and me being a rivet counter, I could resist the envy to redo some of the details ... but it was more difficult than what I anticipated and my motivation was significantly lowered, however I managed to modify the rear lights, very specific of the Strv122

img_1039.jpg
img_1036.jpg

and install some more realistic grousers brackets on the turrets stowage boxes ...

img_1038.jpg
img_1037.jpg

That's all for the moment ... many other things to improve on that kit, but only when I'll have more time because every detail takes hours ... anyway, I have other projects, see my other WIP posts ;)

Cheers, E

• Like 3