Meng IDF Merkava 3D Early

BlackMax12

Picked up another Merkava today. Meng's 3D Early version. Not as nice a kit as the Takom Merkava MK 1 Hybrid as the fits on some of the parts aren't great and

there's some flash in places which is strange for a Meng kit.

The engine cover is made up of 4 pieces and as you can see the fits aren't good and that's in a very prominent location. The turret has a bunch of add-on armor and it doesn't fit that well either.

I got some black embossing powder at of all places Michael's so I'll try the anti-skid that Arnobiz is applying to his MK 1 Hybrid.  All I can do is screw it up and it should wash off if I use diluted

white glue as a fixer.

I also got the new Meng Panther Ausf A late and that's a nice kit.  So far everything just snaps together, don't need much glue. There's a metal barrel, photo etch side skirts and finally Meng

included wire for tow cables instead of their usual string. No interior which is good.  The only drawback is the Ausf A versions all had zimmerit so I'll have to order Meng's decal zimmerit and try that.

I'd like to get the ATAK 1/35 Panther A late zimmerit but it's only for the Dragon kit so don't know if it will fit the Meng.  I don't really want to import it from Poland if it doesn't fit.

This one has indy link non-working tracks and they seem to have about 6 sprue points per link to clean up so I may order a set of ATL-08 Fruil tracks along with the zimmerit.  Beautiful model though

and strange engineering with add-on sides to the hull and a turret frame that needs the sides and top added as individual pieces.  Must be so they can release different versions.

Anyway, here's the Merkava so far.

fluZKVN.jpgAUWcel6.jpgbsku3Ic.jpggwYOhta.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 2

Great to see you start another Merkava Lloyd! I built this one 2 years ago, I loved it. At the time I went on the cheap and used fine sand, which was nowhere as fine and regular as embossing powder so I'm sure yours will turn up better.

Looking forward to the next update,

Arnaud

Kris

I think it will be the same paint mix as the Merkava MK 1 Hybrid, the late Achzarit and the Gal Batash I did recently as I have enough of that paint

mix to cover this one, I hope. It will have the usual Tamiya NATO Black primer with some flat white highlighting.

I'm trying that embossing powder now for anti-skid surfaces.  I couldn't get it to work with water thinned white glue as a fixer so I'm going to mix some powder in some

black paint and try brushing it on.  Well tomorrow now as I spent all day making one track run for that Panther A, not a fun job.

Take care,

Lloyd

Good job Lloyd. To help with antiskid gluing I find giving the model a first coat of primer helps a lot: the diluted PVA will stick a lot better to matt primer than to raw plastic due to surface tension.

Hope this helps,

Arnaud

PS Apologies for not answering your request earlier, I will post a couple of pictures of my own Merkava IIID as soon as I'm back home ;) but I don't have any with me now

Hi Widow

No, it's a mess and I broke off a machine gun, some of the fittings and a bunch of the dingle balls hanging from the basket with my toothbrush, that stuff is

pretty tenacious.

This one is consigned to the big blue bin.  Won't try that again, especially painting over the anti-skid, dumb play.

Meng is bringing out a MK IV LIC so I might try that, hopefully it has the anti-skid already applied.

Had a terrible day today, broke off 2 of the swing arms on that Meng Panther A trying to get the second run of tracks off for painting and messed up this Merkava

rather badly.  Two for two, both in the blue bin in pieces. Time for a nap I think.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Sad 1

Oh no, it started so well :(

If it may help for the future, I think the glue was not evenly/thinly layered, which may be why the embossing powder accumulated in lumps. It must be very even and thin, and also I would strongly advise to apply it before adding the MGs and other small details as these get in the way.

Maybe you can try and remove all the paint and antiskid with oven cleaner? Getting replacement sprues for the broken bits from Meng is quite easy, they are quite nice and very prompt to reply.

Best,

Arnaud

Yes the Merkava 4M with the APS system should be pretty nice. Let's hope they take the time to do the anti-skid as that's missing on all of the

Merkava models regardless of the brand.  It's surely missed too and rather hard to duplicate as I found out, LOL.

Take care,

Lloyd

I see where you're coming from, although in this case I would rather do it myself as molded-on antiskid tends to be too smooth for IDF tanks. I find it works well for NATO tanks (e.g., Abrams or Leopard) but not for Merkavas or even the Tamiya Leclerc.

I hope you muster the courage to give it another go, maybe practice on an old kit? The trick is to thin the PVA glue by about half, spread it as evenly as possible and let it dry a little before spreading it again to make sure the coat is thin and uniform (it may tend to create local drops in the first step, which are easy to spread once they are a bit dryer), and then pour the embossing powder.

Arnaud

21 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Hi Widow

No, it's a mess and I broke off a machine gun, some of the fittings and a bunch of the dingle balls hanging from the basket with my toothbrush, that stuff is

pretty tenacious.

This one is consigned to the big blue bin.  Won't try that again, especially painting over the anti-skid, dumb play.

Meng is bringing out a MK IV LIC so I might try that, hopefully it has the anti-skid already applied.

Had a terrible day today, broke off 2 of the swing arms on that Meng Panther A trying to get the second run of tracks off for painting and messed up this Merkava

rather badly.  Two for two, both in the blue bin in pieces. Time for a nap I think.

Take care,

Lloyd

What a shame Lloyd, there were both looking so good, as always...could you not salvage and make a "destroyed" one? there were plenty that ended up that way..

Nick