1/72 Airfix Swift FR. 5

Another one that I have cleared off the shelf and finally finished. The lovely Airfix Supermarine Swift FR.5. Built as WK281 and flown by Flight Lieutenant Nigel Walpole, No. 79 Sqn, RAF Germany, Gutersloh, April 1956.

I am almost reaching the stage where I can start building for myself and actually keep the model....!!!

y4mHPmVx1rEDziPgSqd2jXUNWVsnkFA-xOCcY_qz

y4mc9GAFwXoRIaNpsuVfpHbABiT-fODCSk2uE1FV

y4ma5SDgm_R8nUB1hFAwnGpkVeFPUdoBJXXpO9lt

y4mGRbRwH53MJIsPYirsQn3cgf0K3luUH1HTPUJr

y4mRfwyO2XYuIMQxV4LGIClUlkUkG0qqfaRj73gb

y4mvG6ct7WR3Vl1EJsPSbMkpVk77pHYHlExH1kwL

y4m-F14yGzjnz0nrrfnXxVyFDSG_kjVdCgZORSV0

y4m3VwtCx4umbwlzzReuoT7pqKBg7Leo4JMTignv

y4my6DmoAIOWTrnDDxeQODUd6-XDbTds-kzPqSfI

Cheers all,

Phil

• Like 69

3 hours ago, Kampartiger said:

Frankly speaking,minutes ago i wouldnt have thought much about the Supermarine Swift but the sight of your beautiful Swift just prompted me to get one.Thanks

Much my thoughts, I'm rarely much interested in stuff from the interregnum between WW2 and my own lifetime, but this is beautifully done.

• Like 1

On 19.01.2018 at 10:25 PM, Martin T said:

must have a go with a F2 using the Alleycat conversion. 

Looking at photos which were provided by rayprit

3 hours ago, rayprit said:

Heres one (1 to 1 scale)that was finshed last year and resides alongside Vulcan to the Skies XL558

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/831/82/Supermarine-Swift-F-4.html

, I am not abandoned by feeling that a nose cone in set narrower and thin in volume?

20180121_003825.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYRvRjTa15o

It seems to me that Alleycat have just puttied camera windows at FR.5 in the conversion. But at the same time as Swift FR.5 a nose thinner than at F2 or F4 seemed to me on real.

Yes or No?

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

The nose of the Swift FR. 5 was extended compared to the earlier marks but by how much I cannot remember (about 14 inches sounds about right).  This gives the illusion that the nose was slimmer on the FR. 5.  Even Mike Lithgow's record-breaking F. 4 WK198 retained the original "fighter" nose, albeit with the gun camera removed and its port faired over.

• Like 1

Now I really like that.  A beautiful finish.  Photos I have seen of 2 and 79's Swifts show many of them with a more satin-like finish which you have captured perfectly.  I too am a bit of a Swift fan.  I think it was considered, for a while, the best tactical reconnaissance fighter in NATO's inventory.  As well as having this kit in the stash (I'll be going for 2 squadron as I have a gaping hole in my collection between 1 and 3 Squadrons) but I also fancy Alley Cat's F7 conversion with the Fireflash beam riding missile.  For an aircraft that had so many development problems it did fill some niche roles really rather well.  Anyway, great build and thanks to Airfix for producing it (and in the 'proper' scale).

• Like 2

On 21.01.2018 at 1:30 AM, stever219 said:

The nose of the Swift FR. 5 was extended compared to the earlier marks but by how much I cannot remember (about 14 inches sounds about right).  This gives the illusion that the nose was slimmer on the FR. 5.  Even Mike Lithgow's record-breaking F. 4 WK198 retained the original "fighter" nose, albeit with the gun camera removed and its port faired over.

Perhaps I have been misunderstood, but I meant that a nose for Swift F.2 / F.4 Alleycat on the final site thinner than on a photo the original:

Alley_Cat_vs_Original.jpg

Yes, my photo is made a little under a big corner to the horizon, and I will try to photograph conversion a nose under the correct corner, but I am afraid in general it will change little! A conversion nose thinner than at the present Swift F.4..... or Swift F.4 had a nose different from Swift F.2.

23 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

but I also fancy Alley Cat's F7 conversion with the Fireflash beam riding missile.

I don't understand why, but among fans Swift F.7 don't remember conversion from Pavla at all:
144224_0.jpg

144226_0.jpg

Resources:

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/supermarine-swift-f7-conversion-set-airfix-u72174-pavla-pavu72174-aircraft-modelling-conversion/product/?action=prodinfo&art=144224

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/supermarine-swift-f7-fireflash-missiles-2pcs-airfix-u72175-pavla-pavu72175-aircraft-weaponry/product/?action=prodinfo&art=144226

(I had to specify and place the image of these sets of Pavla of the first found reference in Google because they aren't on Pavla website! Probably has forgotten Pavla that they have a website! :(:) )
The truth it isn't known as there the issue a nose wheel bay is resolved.
The truth in spite of the fact that this set has more panel of lines on a nose, the end of a wing and a pole set from Alleycat all the same is more more preferable at the price and that the most important in the Alleycat set is decal! Decal with a RAF roundel  correct size! Besides in Alleycat there is the second version a nose Swift F.7 which Pavla doesn't have.
Therefore as on me the Alleycat set is more preferable, but if there is no opportunity to buy it, it is possible to consider Pavla as an alternative.

B.R.

Serge

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Perhaps I have been misunderstood, but I meant that a nose for Swift F.2 / F.4 Alleycat on the final site thinner than on a photo the original:

Alley_Cat_vs_Original.jpg

Yes, my photo is made a little under a big corner to the horizon, and I will try to photograph conversion a nose under the correct corner, but I am afraid in general it will change little! A conversion nose thinner than at the present Swift F.4..... or Swift F.4 had a nose different from Swift F.2.

I don't understand why, but among fans Swift F.7 don't remember conversion from Pavla at all:
144224_0.jpg

144226_0.jpg

Resources:

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/supermarine-swift-f7-conversion-set-airfix-u72174-pavla-pavu72174-aircraft-modelling-conversion/product/?action=prodinfo&art=144224

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/supermarine-swift-f7-fireflash-missiles-2pcs-airfix-u72175-pavla-pavu72175-aircraft-weaponry/product/?action=prodinfo&art=144226

(I had to specify and place the image of these sets of Pavla of the first found reference in Google because they aren't on Pavla website! Probably has forgotten Pavla that they have a website! :(:) )
The truth it isn't known as there the issue a nose wheel bay is resolved.
The truth in spite of the fact that this set has more panel of lines on a nose, the end of a wing and a pole set from Alleycat all the same is more more preferable at the price and that the most important in the Alleycat set is decal! Decal with a RAF roundel  correct size! Besides in Alleycat there is the second version a nose Swift F.7 which Pavla doesn't have.
Therefore as on me the Alleycat set is more preferable, but if there is no opportunity to buy it, it is possible to consider Pavla as an alternative.

B.R.

Serge

Thanks Serge.  No, I didn't know Pavla had produced one.  I haven't looked at Pavla's site for a long time.  They seem very quiet these days. 

42 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

No, I didn't know Pavla had produced one.  I haven't looked at Pavla's site for a long time.  They seem very quiet these days. 

Pavla made this conversion set in June 2017!

June 2017, Carl!!! Now January 2018, Carl !!!

Were is this conversion set on site

Pavla:

http://www.pavlamodels.cz/katalogy/katalog.php?katalog=air&c=2&typ=nahled

???

I don't search this set on Pavla site!!

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark