Cruiser Tank A10.

This will be my entry for the 10th Anniversary GB. It's Bronco's offering of the British Cruiser Tank A10. It'll be a struggle to finish it as I'm doing another in the M3/M4 GB, so having said that, I'm going to go against the grain for me, and build it (almost) out of the box to save time.

d3aca816-bb52-4e00-9091-506cb220e600.JPG

7a807100-2032-4c1b-9e85-35093b3162bd.JPG  02b2975c-8b4b-4462-8897-46f93a2f350d.JPG

1703afeb-d1c6-4c77-bf58-fe2feb0a7c7b.JPG  b9b5524f-1eac-4b84-9a1d-517ab54b43a8.JPG

I haven't decided which version I will build yet, I'll decide once I get started.

John.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dadofthree said:

Nice to see something without wings adding to the mix  (says the man building a thing with wings) ;)

At the moment, it does feel as though I'm in a minority of three.:worry: Early days though.

John.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looks like a nice kit but I will be interested to see how long it is before you start altering it....and by how much!! :wicked:;)

Kind regards,

Stix

Get thee behind me Satan!! Someone is doing a blog on this kit on another site and I've been following it. Apart from a couple of additions, it's built mainly OOTB, so (hopefully) I will stick to it.

John.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice Bullbasket 👍 i know a little about British armor from WW2. But this is a type of never heard of before do will be following this build 👍

Thanks Dennis. I've been waiting for an injection moulded kit of this and the A9 for years, so I'm a happy bunny.

John.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Nice. Hoping to snag one of these at Huddersfield show in Feb :yes:

'Morning Steve. So far it's proving to be a nice kit without too many vices, although, having said that, it IS a Bronco kit, so not one that you pour in glue at one end and extract completed model at the other.

John.

• Haha 2

There is an in depth review of this kit by Terry Ashley over on PMMS and having read it, I've decided on which option in the kit I'm going to build, and that is option 5. This was one of the first A10's sent to N. Africa in 1940 and is finished in SCC15 with SCC14 disruptive pattern. I chose this one as all the other ones in the kit which are N. Africa based are missing a lot of desert equipment such as sand shields, the fuel can racks at the rear and the auxillary fuel tank sometimes carried on the left hand front track guard.

e5daab47-e1b2-47de-a82a-41d91fade022.JPG

And so first up is the running gear. It's a little complicated, but not too much. The problem is the etched parts. They are approximately .5mm too wide and therefore push the suspension units out of place. With the smaller ones, I trimmed off .5mm from the edge which overcame the problem. Incidentally, the small etch part has lightening holes in it which is incorrect. They should be solid. Bronco corrected this when they issued their Balkans Campaign A10. They also included the missing parts to enable a desert/Balkans tank to be built.

The longer etched parts were more difficult. The way that I got around the problem was to grind a recess into the back of part number A1 which allowed the etched part to sit in place without pushing the suspension units out of place. On the back of each part A1, there is a small moulding which is supposed to allow the etched part to click into place. In reality, it just gets in the way, so I removed it.

50710f31-27a9-491f-80e6-3ce6da420bd8.JPG  4134f303-0c26-4eee-a5e0-fbc8b4fdf3e9.JPG

I changed the order of assembly as I found Bronco's instructions awkward. I glued parts A1 and A10 into place and then clicked the assembled units in between. They're supposed to be able to swing freely, but it's too loose and floppy, so I glued them, making sure that all of the axle stubs were on the level to avoid wheels being up in the air. With this one, you can't get away by posing it on uneven ground because of the link and length tracks.

All of the wheels have been cleaned up and will be added after painting.

b4277e2c-7c5d-467b-a9c4-5c024cb6ca0c.JPG  a9e2a457-1949-481d-a93c-8e10ad617e06.JPG

This is certainly proving to be a more complicated build than what I'm used to.

John.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

There is an in depth review of this kit by Terry Ashley over on PMMS and having read it, I've decided on which option in the kit I'm going to build, and that is option 5. This was one of the first A10's sent to N. Africa in 1940 and is finished in SCC15 with SCC14 disruptive pattern.

e5daab47-e1b2-47de-a82a-41d91fade022.JPG

The colours are definitely  wrong in the instructions , SCC15 didn't appear until April 1944, the colours shown are probably Light Bronze Green No 22 / Light green G5 and Middle Bronze Green No23 / Khaki Green G3 , these being the most common colours for tanks in 1940. 

Colours mixes can be found in Mike Starmers articles on the MAFVA website

Andrew

• Like 2

Yes, although it was the pattern which attracted me, I had a feeling that the colour was wrong, but until I did some more digging, I didn't realise HOW wrong!! Apparently, according to Mike Starmer, the only scheme on the instructions which is correct is the German one.  As you say, SCC15 is wrong, and so too is black. I've asked some questions as to what the colours and pattern should be, so fingers crossed.

John.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

How are you getting on with this?

We're not far off the half-way point in the GB

I'm afraid that there has been no progress with the build due to a couple of reasons. First is that my two week trip to Blighty has turned into five weeks. And the second is that I developed a problem with my retina while I was here, hence the extended stay, so I can't see there being any progress anytime soon.

John.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

OUCH! Admittedly, I am very squeamish about eyes, but that is really nasty; a good reason not to come to Blighty I'd say! Oh and the weather

It's improved somewhat, as the flashing lights have gone. I've got a follow up appointment on Monday, so fingers crossed.

BTW. The weather back home was almost as bad; -8 and snow, but this week it's been 18. Crazy or what?

John.

• Like 1