Photobucket Have Seen The Error of Their Ways

Looks like Photobucket have had a change of heart. They've just informed me of a new Premium plan for $99 a year that includes 3rd party hosting for personal use:

• Store up to 300,000 Photos
  • Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting (Non-commercial)*
  • Unlimited Forum Embedding
  • Unlimited Sharing

They say it's perfect for "Perfect for forum enthusiasts, bloggers, and personal website owners." They didn't mention whether it has ads or not...anyway, I'm still getting rid of them.

Cheers,

Bill

I can't afford it, but that works out at only £1.37 a week.  Apart from their issues in management and customer understanding, the program was very easy to use for the likes of us.

Mike

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Still a fair wedge of scratch :hmmm:

True, but it's a lot less than the $399 they were trying to get, and the same that I currently pay them for my grandfathered Premium account. They got caught in a bad decision, and we all called them on it.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

I don't know. Should I drop Flickr and continue using PB? I still have an active , ad-free PB account that was $14.99US per year, but I stopped using it back in June when I went to Flickr. Flickr is free, so far and PB will be $100.00 US dollars. Decisions decisions!

Chris

• Haha 1

I'm about half way through converting all of my WIPs and RFIs over to Flickr. Once I'm finished, I will be quite happy to hit the big Cancel Account button over on PB...no matter what they offer.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Trouble is the horse has bolted. The damage they have done to forums and members will not endear them. All the pictures that have been removed already. It's not as though a flick of the switch will restore things to how they were.

• Like 8

Anyone paying for the 'privilege' of using the likes of PB are a bit foolish in my eyes.  They get plenty enough money from advertising. I use a site which is free. They make their money from ads, not users, which is why I don't mind the ads. It's a win-win-win situation. And of course, the interweb gets millions of photos.

As for PB, they've STOLEN my images. I can't even look at them let alone retrieve them. I don't care if they charge a penny, they can shove their site up their exhaust pipe.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

They can.............  ...  ......... Just say we have almost 100 Bucks to waste. What if they just throw a wobbly again and people just lose their photos ?

No. I didn't think so either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm about half way through converting all of my WIPs and RFIs over to Flickr. Once I'm finished, I will be quite happy to hit the big Cancel Account button over on PB...no matter what they offer.

Don't cancel your account, leave your photos there to help use up their server memory.

Unfortunately I did cancel mine before I thought of that..........

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Sod PB. As I see it the damage has been done, the social & cultural vandalism they did won't be undone in a hurry & I for one won't be picking them up again. If I was going to pay, I currently use Flickr, I like the sound of Smugmug at about 1/2 what PB are proposing.

Steve.

• Like 8

In smugmug I have folders within folders to keep things organised

eg I have a main 'Portfolio' folder

That is sub-divided into [so far] 14 categories.

One category folder is US WW2 props

Within that I have folders for eg P51 Mustangs, Grumman, Boeing, Curtiss etcetera

Then in each of those folders I have the final 'gallery' eg within the Grumman folder I have separate galleries for; Grumman Avenger, Grumman Hellcat, Grumman Wildcat

• Like 3

I cancelled my account , and had great delight telling them the reason why - this was a suicidal decision made by morons and they deserved all the get - in return

in my opinion , imgur , is actually faster , god knows what photobucket did , but they were sooo slow it was painful to use or upload ... damage was done PB - you reap what you sown , pal

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

After PB I switched to HostingPics, a French site. It was all in French but decipherable with limited language skills, and the layout was pretty much as any other, which helped. Unfortunately, they've just closed down so I am now having to re-capture around 1000 photos and swap them all over to Imgur. HostingPics have given everyone 'a few months' to recover their photos.... unlike PB who have blocked me. I had reached my PB upload limit and from what I can gather that bars me from recovering them. I can't even SEE my photos, I just get a 'pay us now' type message. This amounts to the theft, or the kidnap of my images in my eyes. Others can still view them, but I can't.

I do wonder why HostingPics closed down. They were free and must have gained a lot of 'customers' from PB... Perhaps they just couldn't cope with the amount of new traffic. The site was getting slower and slower.

Anyway, Imgur is very quick and easy. It's just a shame you can't upload multiple images all at once as one could with HostingPics.

I fear more sites will close down or start charging though, thanks to PB. If people boycott those sites which charge, then those that are free will become swamped. On the other hand, if people pay even a penny to PB then other sites will follow suit and eventually all the sites will charge. But think on this..... those that run ads are getting paid anyway, so charging us is immoral.

Badder

On 19/01/2018 at 6:48 PM, Badder said:

Anyone paying for the 'privilege' of using the likes of PB are a bit foolish in my eyes.  They get plenty enough money from advertising. I use a site which is free. They make their money from ads, not users, which is why I don't mind the ads. It's a win-win-win situation. And of course, the interweb gets millions of photos.

As for PB, they've STOLEN my images. I can't even look at them let alone retrieve them. I don't care if they charge a penny, they can shove their site up their exhaust pipe.

Don't understand that ,when i copied photos to pbucket (take that p anyway you want) haha i always had the original in my photo foldier.

• Like 1