Zebra's Mil Mi-10

Rotors today. Started by assembling the rotor head and test-fitting a rotor blade. The rotor head went together ok - it's in two halves, split horizontally, and a little trimming of a couple of interfering parts was needed, but not too bad. The most time consuming part was cleaning up all the flash! Also assembled the tail rotor, a bit of cleaning up to do tomorrow.

Here's the rotor head with one rotor blade attached, without glue. The blade attaches quite firmly without glue - this will help with storage, I'll be able to detach the blade and reattach it. I was wondering how well this part would go - it looks like it's going to be flimsy, but it isn't. Like many parts of this model, things that look like they're going to be tricky and aren't going to be very sturdy have turned out much better than expected.

Mi-10 WIP

Couldn't resist test fitting the rotor head to the fuselage and attaching all the blades. This is where it really starts to look big!

Mi-10 WIP

Mi-10 WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 14

I take my hat off to you Z with regards to the cracking job you've done on the build so far and the undercarriage legs in particular. I remember that when I built mine I had to drill and pin each leg to keep it in place.

Best Regards

mike

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

This is the first time I've looked in to your thread Z and had a full read through from the start; good work so far on an unusual subject :thumbsup: 

Thanks Col!

47 minutes ago, mitchem said:

I take my hat off to you Z with regards to the cracking job you've done on the build so far and the undercarriage legs in particular. I remember that when I built mine I had to drill and pin each leg to keep it in place.

Best Regards

mike

Thanks Mike. I’m surprised it didn’t need drilling and pinning, it’s surprisingly sturdy without it. 

On 3/2/2018 at 4:14 AM, Grandboof said:

Awesome beast Looking good 

Martin H

On 2/28/2018 at 7:24 AM, Vultures1 said:

Looks even better with the rotors fitted!

On 2/28/2018 at 6:37 AM, Jabba said:

That is looking rather big with the rotors fitted. It is strange how small helicopters seem to look until you add the rotors.

Thanks everyone!

Since the last update I've presided, painted, weathered it a bit, and decalled. Not a lot of decalling to do on this one - not an elaborate colour scheme at all - and I chose not to add the 15 or so stencils - I just thought they looked like they'd stand out a bit too much and look a bit out of scale. Not a big fan of stencil decals at the best of times, but when they're Amodel decals I'm definitely not up for it - Amodel decals seem to be very fragile, and if you can get them on without breaking up they seem to stick very quickly so don't give you a chance to adjust the placement. So I'm happy just to have used the four decals I ended up using.

Here's how it looked an hour or so ago - I've just taken it out to the garage for a matt coat. The overseas visitor leaves on Tuesday and next weekend is a four day weekend for me (although I'm going to an airshow on Sunday) so should get time to get a bit more done next weekend.

Mi-10 WIP

Thanks for looking

Z

• Like 6

Very quick update today - sprayed some Tamiya smoke to add some exhaust stains. It needs another matt coat, which it should get tomorrow, then the window masks will come off. Still to do: Various external details which will be left until the end as I'm bound to knock them off otherwise, painting the rotors and rotor heads (started by spraying some primer on them today), the cargo platform, and the wheels (I hate painting wheels!). Plus the MiG-15 of course, which will need to be done before I attach the platform I think, so will get on to that tomorrow.

Here's how it looks tonight:

Mi-10 WIP

• Like 8

Still procrastinating over the wheels! I've been getting on with painting the rotor blades, but the main thing I've been doing today has been the MiG-15 cargo. A bit of a blitzbuild - although I'd started painting a few interior parts the other day, I hadn't glued much together, and I've made a lot of progress today - It's assembled and masked ready to be primed and perhaps painted tomorrow. It's tiny - smallest model Ive made in quite a long time!

1/72 MiG-15 UTI

• Like 5

More progress today. I've assembled the wheels (hate wheels that come in two halves!) and started painting them, assembled the cargo platform and given it a first coat of paint, and painted the MiG-15 (Alclad aluminium) and decalled it. I've used the kit decals - I have no evidence that this Mi-10 ever carried this MiG-15, but I'm assuming that the Mi-10 crews practiced carrying all sorts of cargoes, and as there's at least one photo of a Mi-10 with a MiG-15 I'll assume this Mi-10 could have carried this MiG-15, and that's good enough for me!

Here's how the MiG is looking - will post photos of the wheels when they're on the helicopter, and the platform when I've finished painting it.

MiG-15 UTI

• Like 6

Wheels are on. The rear wheels might just be the biggest wheels I've ever come across on a 1/72 aircraft model! Here it is with the MiG on the platform underneath - not attached, just to see how it looks:

Mi-10 WIP

• Like 7