1/72 M4 Sherman

Graeme H

The intakes are from a 737 I'm building on the B737 GB,

which makes 3 GB's I'm in at the moment, the other one is a the 10th anniversary of BM GB,

I sincerely hope I haven't bitten off too much, as I looked at the Hawker GB, and my stash of Hunters, but let common sense take control, and have resisted that one :mental:

note to self, must finish this one first, as it closes first, these STGB's are a pressure event aren't they ? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update

Got the stickers on, not sure what the deal is with the green star on green tank on the hull sides, I guess it's supposed represent a painted out white star

had a bit of trouble getting a decent dull cote on it, and found I had run out of my favourite Testors Dullcote, so need to get some more, now to tackle those pesky tracks

39619805504_421ed67a52_k.jpgDSCN1219 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Got the stickers on, not sure what the deal is with the green star on green tank on the hull sides,

to tackle those pesky tracks

Some crews thought a great big white star was a good aiming point so they overpainted it.

As Sarge suggested, a bit of gentle stretching of the tracks does help, then try the tracks to see if they'll fit without straining the sprocket or idler wheels too much.  TBH, I'm not convinced the rubber track will glue to itself properly anyway, I tried superglue (granted, a cheap brand) and it failed

Alternatively, consider trimming off the rubber overlap pieces on the tracks, stick the tracks to the wheels and then make up the gap with the spare track links (2 per side as you get a block of 4) that you get for the hull.

Or ... if you're really desperate (or stupid, like me) make your own track links, not as hard as I thought it would be.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

OK, back into this after a couple of weeks of not doing much, was the anniversary last weekend of my wife's passing and I was a bit melancholy there for a while. :weep:

Realise time is running out on this GB, so now need to get my finger out.

So going with Neil said above, and Sarge suggested, I decided to stretch out the tracks, I had no idea how to do that so I came up with my own workaround

I did get the tracks to glue to themselves quite Ok, using Loctite Professional CA, then got an old pair of Calipers and some small sockets, put those over the Calipers and then expanded

every other day I added a little more, as they say a photo is worth a thousand words

40717303951_cf9c93550c_k.jpgDSCN1229 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

I only did one to begin with, to see if I stuffed anything up, worked just fine, and then added it to the little beasty, and I was surprised that I may have just gone a tad too far, but it fitted just fine

so a bit of mud here and there, this the side with the track on, the other track is on the rack. ;)

38907244330_0fd915429a_k.jpgDSCN1227 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

I won't be doing any of that fancy tarpaulin work that Neil did, I just don't have the time, but do so hope to get this finished in time, think I might just make it.

Other track on tomorrow if all goes well, then all the little stuff.

• Like 4

I stretch my tracks without closing the loop as I prefer to fit them as a length.....But your way looks great too!  :thumbsup:

PS - The white stars on the hull sat pretty much directly over the highly combustible ammunition racks and the Germans knew that, so crews got rid of them pronto!  ;)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, on the home straight to get this finished before the due date in a couple of days, currently building a display base, which I have never done before, nothing like a late rush

So the Sherman is finished 

Will put these photos in the Gallery if I don't get my base finished

26217972437_e851455532_k.jpgDSCN1235 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

I had added a bit of wire for an aerial, but noticed not many others did, but it shows it on the boxart, and being an armour luddite, I have to go by what I'm given

were they not fitted?  can soon delete if so

26217969527_6165fbd398_k.jpgDSCN1236 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

26217965357_663ee89250_k.jpgDSCN1238 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

My photography skills leave a lot to desired, but it is late in the afternoon for me, and it's sitting on the ground so hard for me to frame a decent shot

• Like 3

OK, fortunately last weekends Model Group meeting had a workshop on doing dio stuff, so some Spakfill, a small bit of Foam Board, with some help from the making it look like it just rained Co

I came up with this, not very French countryside, but what the heck, be gentle it's my first armour dio

27252657658_c5a347a4d7_k.jpgDSCN1240 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

27252654068_626e478fbc_k.jpgDSCN1241 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

26254153987_d9b8df1bbc_k.jpgDSCN1242 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

And the little guy tracking down the road

41082287802_e6a6b035e2_k.jpgDSCN1243 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

41082285602_dd5453526a_k.jpgDSCN1244 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Managed to get some of the Millicast tank crew that Patrice used, and got a better deal on the postage, so will be on their way shortly, I can see some more of these in my future

Only thing is they are now getting hard to find.

Will post up to the gallery next

• Like 2