Hobbyboss P-61B

72modeler

This just in!

Found this just now. In view of the recent discussion and build posted by  Billn53 of his excellent P-61A, I thought this link would be of interest. It does appear from the sprue shots that Hobbyboss got the upper fuselage contours correct for their announced P-61B and P-61C with the dorsal turret! Can't wait for a B and  using a C to do an F-15 Reporter conversion.

Mike

http://www.greenmats.club/topic/1067-hobby-boss-p-61-black-widow-новая-линейка-в-172/

Edited by 72modeler
added text for clarity

43 minutes ago, DennisTheBear said:

I wonder if they used the P-61 in Beijing as the pattern. Does anyone know?

DennisTheBear

If they did, it was to examine the exterior of the aircraft, as the interior looks to have been sealed and likely was stripped of all of its equipment. I have read accounts that there were two P-61B's that ended up with the Chinese at the end of the war. (See the link below that lists the history of all known Black Widow survivors.) This is just an uneducated guess on my part, but I'm betting the Chinese don't allow access to the aircraft in their museums, and since Hobbyboss have also announced their intention to release a P-61C, I'm thinking that they examined the P-61C at either the Air Force  Museum or the National Air and Space Museum, or the genuine P-61B being restored by the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in order to produce the three versions they have announced. Other than the engines, props, and cowlings with their associated air intakes, and airbrakes, there is no external difference between a B and a C model Black Widow. The Chinese example was stored outside for many years and is allegedly in such bad shape, due to corrosion, that none of the interested parties who inspected it thought it was worth the price the Chinese were asking and was a poor candidate even for a static restoration.

Mike

http://napoleon130.tripod.com/p61blackwidow/id21.html

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 1:51 PM, 72modeler said:

If they did, it was to examine the exterior of the aircraft, as the interior looks to have been sealed and likely was stripped of all of its equipment. I have read accounts that there were two P-61B's that ended up with the Chinese at the end of the war.

Don't disagree, I'd heard of 2 P-61's that ended up in China (vague recollection of an article in a Chinese newspaper) while I lived in Beijing. When I went to the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, about 8 years ago the aircraft were not viewable because they were dismantling them to move to an enclosed display building.

Whether they are viewable now I don't know.

As to viewing interiors at the China Aviation Museum, usually not, although some historic aircraft are opened for walk throughs or for sitting in (for a fee) on occassions.

At the afore mentioned museum you can walk all the way down to the back area (really an outdoor storage for airframes in terrible condition) and climb in any that are open and no-one says boo. Fun thing is that you never know!:pilot:

DennisTheBear

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

Don't disagree, I'd heard of 2 P-61's that ended up in China (vague recollection of an article in a Chinese newspaper) while I lived in Beijing. When I went to the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, about 8 years ago the aircraft were not viewable because they were dismantling them to move to an enclosed display building.

Whether they are viewable now I don't know.

As to viewing interiors at the China Aviation Museum, usually not, although some historic aircraft are opened for walk throughs or for sitting in (for a fee) on occassions.

At the afore mentioned museum you can walk all the way down to the back area (really an outdoor storage for airframes in terrible condition) and climb in any that are open and no-one says boo. Fun thing is that you never know!:pilot:

DennisTheBear

I stand corrected, Dennis- thanks for the update!

Mike

In related news, Hyperscale just reviewed HobbyBoss' new P-61A in their "Easy Assembly" range. They give it some good marks; there are a few inaccuracies; but, nothing that can't be fixed. For new and newer modellers, though, it's fine.

Joe

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PFlint said:

when I said wrong scale I meant it should be 48

both the Monogram and Great Wall kits have their "issues"

hmmm....I wonder if they could be combined to fix the others mistakes ???

Umm, HobbyBoss released their 1/48 P-61A in 2014, followed by a B/C a year later.

• Like 1

stevehnz, thanks for the "Like", I appreciate it. Read their(Hyperscale's) review for the faults/inaccuracies/etc.. It is one of their "Easy Assembly"; so, some things will be simplified. That's fine as this doesn't overwhelm a new modeler. I look forward to getting it, too. Somewhere in my stash I have the two Dragon Models P-61A and P-61B. Maybe Airfix will re-tool their P-61 in a future release. We can dream; can't we?

Joe

I have now read that Joe & my impression is nothing earth shatteringly awful, certainly things that can be lived with or corrected relatively simply, at least to a standard which I can be happy with.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1