Primer

Mariner1972

Hi all, 

I'm guessing this has been discussed , but what's the general consensus to priming? I've tried various ways but still not sure what's best. Spray while on the sprues ( everything) or spray / paint while constructing. I've done both ways and both have there plus points and negative points. What do you all do?

I mainly do ships now (ww2) and when you have to put small ammo boxes etc on decks, it's hard to prime and spray while there on the deck. And get a clean edge if you hand paint. I personally just prime when I need to now. I was just asking if any do the sprues. 

There's not much harm in priming on the sprue, and no-one will murder puppies as a result. :) You could always primer on the sprue (being careful to get all the plastic that's going to need painting), and if the sprue gates marr the paintwork, touch them up before you add them with a dab from a brush.  it's better than aiming a rattle-can at a busy deck and hoping for the best :owww:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2018 at 20:10, Mike said:

There's not much harm in priming on the sprue, and no-one will murder puppies as a result. :) You could always primer on the sprue (being careful to get all the plastic that's going to need painting), and if the sprue gates marr the paintwork, touch them up before you add them with a dab from a brush.  it's better than aiming a rattle-can at a busy deck and hoping for the best :owww:

I ain’t gonna murder no puppies being an avid dog lover. Kids on the other hand, especially peoples screeching types in public... 

Anyways back on topic - going to have to agree to disagree - spraying all parts on the sprue is a waste of time and paint. With everybody’s limited time nowadays economy of effort is a priority. 

All that paint getting wasted going where it doesn’t need to be eg the inside or unseen area of parts and then overspray will have to be sanded/removed from mating surfaces to glue the kit together, plus then when you have cleaned up the seams you will have to prime again anyways so what’s the point? I didn’t see any mention of a rattle can in the first question by marina172 either?

Unless the are a few specific parts in a kit with mating surfaces and sprue gates located in unseen locations once in place etc then perhaps yes but then they will be cut off with a bit of that sprue attached to act as a ‘handle’ during painting but in general, no. 

• Like 1

With modern kits especially Airfix the tolerances are so good for a proper gap-free fit that any paint can stop parts fitting. I've got into the habit of building in sub-assemblies which I can paint as I go then dust over a primer coat once assembled.

Ask a hundred model-makers and you'll get 200 opinions :D

It depends which paint I am using to be honest. Acrylic, and I usually give it a once over prime after it is built, with any clear parts masked. If enamel, I don't bother, and just run a brush with some light shade of acrylic across any suspect seams; acrylic because I cannot be bothered waiting for seam checking paint to dry ;)