Short SC.5/10 Belfast

5 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Think I have a good cutaway of the Belf, I'll try and find it.

Thanks for the information on the internals, I am trying to picture it but would need something more specific for me to cut plastic and install etc.  I would be very grateful if you can find and send a scan of the cutaway please.

I would rather do some work on the internal aspects of this model, even if it is just to get some practice at doing such a thing.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Some or all the front end "rooms" were taken out by Heavylift for extra freight space probably up to the C/pit Bulkhead

Edited by bzn20

Requesting permission to pull up a chair and watch this build Mike.

Many years ago I remember watching XR363/363 "Goliath" slowly deteriorate whilst in open storage at Southend Airport when I went past it on my daily train journey to work. 

I have found this drawing of the internal dimensions but it has been scanned at a low resolution, which makes the details indistinct.  Does anyone know of a better copy anywhere please?  it would be of real help for me to identify the locatioins of panels and doors.

Mike

16 hours ago, bootneck said:

locatioins of panels and doors

I don't have anything but on ebay there is a Belfast Pilots Notes on CD. Got a 3 view Drg. You can copy and paste that if you don't want to buy it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shorts-Short-Belfast-C-1-Mk-1-historic-manual-rare-archive-details-1960s-70s/282786830561?hash=item41d76898e1:g:WvcAAOxyLN9SiLO4

Edited by bzn20

I clicked on that  Picture and can read all of it although the detail isn't that deep.

This a bit heavy price wise but exactly what you need. Might be cheaper elsewhere, none on ebay though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belfast-Story-Shorts-Big-Lifter/dp/0904597520

Edited by bzn20

Hi Mike

If it is of any help I have a copy of the ground training school notes for the Belfast that has a wealth of info on interior arrangements , hatches etc...

please let me know what you need and I can scan the relevant pages and try to work out how to upload them !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

I don't have anything but on ebay there is a Belfast Pilots Notes on CD. Got a 3 view Drg. You can copy and paste that if you don't want to buy it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shorts-Short-Belfast-C-1-Mk-1-historic-manual-rare-archive-details-1960s-70s/282786830561?hash=item41d76898e1:g:WvcAAOxyLN9SiLO4

Probably just my old eyes.  I've made out a couple of dimensions: Length 766" and height 144", so far.  As to the doors and hatches, I have been scanning Google and think I've found enough images to work out where all the external openings are.  The cockpit isn't a concern as the windows are the solid type, if I open them up then any glazing I add would be too thick to see inside.

I just need to spend some time bringing those details together in a 1:144 setting, then I can cut some plastic.

Thanks again.

Mike

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mrvbowman said:

Hi Mike

If it is of any help I have a copy of the ground training school notes for the Belfast that has a wealth of info on interior arrangements , hatches etc...

please let me know what you need and I can scan the relevant pages and try to work out how to upload them !

I've just received the schematics and a data-sheet Martin, thank you; I do appreciate it.  I just need to turn everyone's contributions (Thank You!) into a plan to build the kit!

Mike

1 hour ago, mrvbowman said:

ground training school notes

Those will be good.. Were you at Brize or Abingdon ?

Well I've made a start, by piecing the bits of data together, and think I have enough to start cutting plastic.

I have made a drawing, which has been scaled to 1:144, and it shows the cargo and cockpit decks.  The cargo area also shows the exits and tie-down points etc.

short_sc5-10_belfast_07_drawing.jpg

I'm going to take a break now, to rest my eyes after making all those tie-down points; they are only 1mm dia.  Later, I shall cut out the deck piece for the cargo area and then work out a way to insert it into the kit so that it is in the right place and stays level.

Thanks for watching.

Mike

• Like 3

On 1/20/2018 at 11:06 AM, Bullbasket said:

I like the choice Mike. Denzel's vacforms were a favourite of mine when I used to build wingy things. If I remember from my service days, the RAF boys used to refer to it as a Belslow on account of it's lack of speed.

John. 

I think it was the 1979 RAF Yearbook that related the story of a Belfast captain ending a routine ETA transmission on a flight across the Indian Ocean with 'Crew in good heart. No signs of scurvy on board.' I mentioned that to Mike McEvoy at a Southern Expo and he said that the gentleman involved earned himself a rocket thereby.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, bootneck said:

bits of data

By bit ! Heres a link for a youtube vid of a walk through on 371. Forgot just how big that Cockpit was/is.

• Like 1

Many thanks for these links, there are plenty of views that show external detail to good effect there.

The cargo deck has been cut out and marked up where the various openings will be.  The tabs midships will, hopefully, form part of the wheel bay areas and will protrude through the fuselage walls and into the side hampers.

short_sc5-10_belfast_08_cargo_deck_cut_o

I need to work out a method for including both the cargo deck and the bulkhead strengtheners (A, B and C).   I am thinking of opening out the inners of each strengthener, but steel keeping the outer shape, and then inserting the cargo deck within..........  or something like that!  :undecided:

EDIT:  The lack of thickness of the fuselage skin is causing me some concern, especially as to whether it will keep the wings horizontal when fitted.  I am tempted to cut away the roof at the wing-root boundaries and make a single wing spar, with it and the wings combined.  I could then build up the fuselage inside, to strengthen that area, before re-attaching the wing assembly.

Mike

• Like 4

I haven't decided on which paint scheme to finish the model in but, one query I have:  Is the grey on the lower half of the HeavyLift aircraft the same as that when they were R.A.F. liveried?

cheers

Mike

I found the fuselage to be difficult to work with whilst trying to open doors and hatches etc., also I couldn't seem to get access to work on the internals.  So, off came the roof!

short_sc5-10_belfast_09a_roof_off.jpg

That's much better and I have been able to make the cargo deck fit.  A new cargo deck piece was made with widened midships platforms on both sides; then, by cutting horizontal slots in the fuselage, I was able to fit the extensions through to protrude out the sides.  These extensions will be used as platforms for the wheel assemblies.  Once they are set then the sponsons will be fitted over them.

short_sc5-10_belfast_09_roof_off.jpg

The internals have had some fittings inserted, plus the bulkheads have been lined with plastic strips.  I will give these strips a coating of Mr Surfacer 500 which should give the effect of the inner skin of the fuselage.  It looks a bit of a mess at the moment but, as things move on, you'll see that there is madness in my method.

short_sc5-10_belfast_14_both_sides_dry_f

After the skin has been applied, the internal bulkheads will be painted in the various colours that I've seen on the Cosford Belfast:  blue grey; mid grey and light grey for the walls, air ducting and ceiling sections.  The deck will be painted dark grey, with red and yellow markings adjacent to doors and hatchways etc.

Whilst the fuselage is still in half sections, I've been working on building the wheel well for the nosewheel assembly. A box has been made (not very clear in white plastic) for the nosewheel, and this will also allow for little pockets of space to hold weights, just in case this is a tail-sitter.

short_sc5-10_belfast_12_paint_internal.j

cheers

Mike

• Like 7