Short SC.5/10 Belfast

I would like to enter with this Short SC.5/10 Belfast in 1:144 scale by Welsh Models:

spacer.png

It is a good size kit for 1:144 scale and should give me lots of hassle, frustration and pleasure building it.

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 17

I like the choice. Have thought about doing one for my 'Flown in Types' models. I had 3 hours in XR367( featured on the Welsh Models paperwork) from Brize!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone; I hope I can do it justice after all this interest. :unsure:

Martin, the Sea Vixen and Buccaneer are scratchbuilds in 1:350 scale.  I thought that, if I stuggled to make them by hand, some producer would bring out a kit of each to that scale....... Are you listening L'Arsenal?

Mike

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out! I've two in the stash, with the intention of doing one as RAF and the other as Heavylift, if I can get transfers.  I wonder if one can use the ones from the Welsh Models Il-76 kit.

I'll be interested in your approach to the main undercarriage bays.

I haven't started yet; however, I have noticed that the thickness of the fuselage plastic is much thinner than normal WM vacforms.  It is 0.5mm compared to 1mm on other kits and more like the thickness used for canopies, and this makes the large shape of the fuselage 'wobble' when handling it.  I will probably line the inside with additional plastic for support, especially in the areas of the wing roots and wheel assemblies. I'm sure that it will be fine once the two sides are mated a glued securely.

Mike

• Like 1

I like the choice Mike. Denzel's vacforms were a favourite of mine when I used to build wingy things. If I remember from my service days, the RAF boys used to refer to it as a Belslow on account of it's lack of speed.

John. 

On 20/01/2018 at 11:06, Bullbasket said:

I like the choice Mike. Denzel's vacforms were a favourite of mine when I used to build wingy things.

yes, I do like Welsh Models vacforms but really only the true vacforms and not the modern resin renditions.

I mentioned earlier that the fuselage parts are quite thin; to try to overcome this somewhat,  the insides have been give a layer of Mr Surfacer 500.  It seems to have helped, although I shall have to scrape off areas where the bulkhead strengtheners go.

spacer.png

The Belfast is a fair size model and I have placed the fuselage alongside a Revell C-130 Hercules and an F-Rsin Comet 1,  all to 1:144 scale, for comparison.

spacer.png

Now, before I start;  should I be sensible  and build it OOB or be absolutely loony :doh:and open it up and try to put some internal detail in??  :shrug:

Mike

• Like 10

Mike, for my money, I'd keep it buttoned up. To do any sort of cargo hold you'd need to loose the B & C bulkheads which is going to loose you a lot of strength I reckon. I could be tempted by a 1/144 BBelfast myself but think I'd want to build as much strength in as possible. My happeth FWIW.

Steve.

If I am going to open up any internal areas, not necessarily the whole thing, then I need to work out where the panel and structure lines are.

Working in white plastic, especially vacform, makes the identification of these lines difficult;  it is also hard to see which lines are raised and which are recessed, if any.

spacer.png

One method I like to use for finding the lines on white vacforms is to give the part a fine spray of black paint.  As it will all come off later, I tend to use the cheapest rattle-can type I can find.

spacer.png

After the black coat has dried I then, very gently, sand away the areas with a wet 'n dry 1800 grit sanding pad which then shows up the lines. 

In this view below, the nose area has been completed sanded back to show the black vertical recessed line and windows.  The white lines show where the raised lines  and hatches are.

spacer.png

As can be seen on this fuselage, the doorways and hatch are at varying levels which suggests there must be stairways to  some of the levels.  The location of the port-hole type windows suggest an upper gallery deck?

Anyone know how the internals are laid out?  I really could do with getting hold of a scan or copy of an internal drawing or plan.

That's it for now until I can work out where any decks or platforms go inside; before I decide what to include or keep closed.

Mike

• Like 7

On 1/19/2018 at 2:30 PM, bootneck said:

Thanks everyone; I hope I can do it justice after all this interest. :unsure:

Martin, the Sea Vixen and Buccaneer are scratchbuilds in 1:350 scale.  I thought that, if I stuggled to make them by hand, some producer would bring out a kit of each to that scale....... Are you listening L'Arsenal?

Mike

Hi Mike, I had some Gannets, Buccaneers and Sea Vixens from Shapeways in 1/400 scale.  The Gannets with folded wings were pretty good! Most designers will re-size for you. https://www.shapeways.com/product/CH6BXAPZ5/buccaneer-faa-w-gear-x4-fud

Dave

52 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Anyone know how the internals are laid out?

On the right side fwd lower fuse, there is a drop down crewdoor with steps (Think Sea King's) that leads to "spiral" staircase to Galley,Sleeping quarters (6 bunk beds IIRC) upper gallery cargo deck and Cockpit. Seem to remember a toilet halfway up the staircase,  definitely a toilet near the S/case anyway. Then there is an optional so that means  removable (Role equipment) Stub Deck that's roughly 20 feet long and width of fuselage that sits "around" C/pit floor level.Door to that Gallery at the top. There were steps up and down all over that level,step down to the C/pit step down to the Bunk area. Its all distant memories, last time I was on one was 1974 ! I spent from Feb 72-Nov 73 on them, not one of my favourites but looking forward to seeing you beat it, God knows we tried but it always came at bit us. Think I have a good cutaway of the Belf, I'll try and find it.

On 21/01/2018 at 17:06, davepb said:

Hi Mike, I had some Gannets, Buccaneers and Sea Vixens from Shapeways in 1/400 scale.  The Gannets with folded wings were pretty good! Most designers will re-size for you. https://www.shapeways.com/product/CH6BXAPZ5/buccaneer-faa-w-gear-x4-fud

Dave

Hi Dave,  that's interesting to note; possibly for the future; however, I do like to scratchbuild things and try as much as possible to practice when I can.  My comment about getting producers to make them was a little tongue-in-cheek. :whistle:

Cheers

Mike