Low level Puma

bobsyouruncle

Wow! I genuinely thought it was a photograph of a Puma when I first looked. It wasn’t until I re-read the post did I realise it was a painting. Top work!

Sean

• Like 1

Could I ask Bob, as you work in oils, do you varnish your finished paintings? And if as recommended you let them dry for a number of months first, how do you handle that with commisioned works? Do you have them returned to you by the customer, or visit them to do it? I ask purely out of interest as it's something I've long wondered about! (my now very occasional forays into artwork are either in pencil or acrylics!) 

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments, Gents.

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Could I ask Bob, as you work in oils, do you varnish your finished paintings? And if as recommended you let them dry for a number of months first, how do you handle that with commisioned works? Do you have them returned to you by the customer, or visit them to do it? I ask purely out of interest as it's something I've long wondered about! (my now very occasional forays into artwork are either in pencil or acrylics!) 

Hi Keith, yes I normally varnish them. I thin my paint down quite a bit to allow flow and that improves drying time and lessens the time required before varnishing. I usually spray a temporary finish varnish, which gives protection but allows re-touching and overpainting. I would then give a final varnish at a later time. I've varnished some paintings before handing over and with others I've had them back for varnishing or have gone out to varnish them as you say.

There wasn't time to varnish this Puma before a presentation deadline, so I wrote a note outlining this and saying that I'm happy to varnish it in the future.

Cheers Bob.

On 18/01/2018 at 9:48 PM, bobsyouruncle said:

Hi Keith, yes I normally varnish them. I thin my paint down quite a bit to allow flow and that improves drying time and lessens the time required before varnishing. I usually spray a temporary finish varnish, which gives protection but allows re-touching and overpainting. I would then give a final varnish at a later time. I've varnished some paintings before handing over and with others I've had them back for varnishing or have gone out to varnish them as you say.

There wasn't time to varnish this Puma before a presentation deadline, so I wrote a note outlining this and saying that I'm happy to varnish it in the future.

Cheers Bob.

Many thanks for the reply Bob, something I've been curious about for a while!

Keith

That’s truly a stunning painting there Bob, you’ve captured the speed and action amazingly well.

It really makes me want to pick up my brushes again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...