MC 1000lb bomb for Typhoons

bobsyouruncle

Hi Gents. I was trying to pin down the stencilling used on the MC 1000lb bombs on Typhoons as near as I could.

I found this which was helpful but doesn't specify the stencilling on this particular bomb:-

http://bulletpicker.com/pdf/USNBD - British Bombs and Fuzes (Nov 1944).pdf

I've been looking through photos and think I've got basic ones possibly minus some bits in the middle (may be able to get away with that if hung so not having centreline visible) but would love to know if anyone knows the full stencils layout (obviously the odd numbers will be different on each bomb?

I understand Duxford have one with stencils which may be 'lying around' somewhere?

My understanding is a thin red line near the nose and a thicker green one where the forward curve meets the straight sides.

Then from the front I think it's laid out in yellow stencils something like:-

60/40 

SNo 58

RDN 9 43 12

MC 1000 LB

PISTOL No 30

Any amendments needed much appreciated. Thanks Bob.

34 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Hi Gents. I was trying to pin down the stencilling used on the MC 1000lb bombs on Typhoons as near as I could.

I found this which was helpful but doesn't specify the stencilling on this particular bomb:-

http://bulletpicker.com/pdf/USNBD - British Bombs and Fuzes (Nov 1944).pdf

I've been looking through photos and think I've got basic ones possibly minus some bits in the middle (may be able to get away with that if hung so not having centreline visible) but would love to know if anyone knows the full stencils layout (obviously the odd numbers will be different on each bomb?

I understand Duxford have one with stencils which may be 'lying around' somewhere?

My understanding is a thin red line near the nose and a thicker green one where the forward curve meets the straight sides.

Then from the front I think it's laid out in yellow stencils something like:-

60/40 

SNo 58

RDN 9 43 12

MC 1000 LB

PISTOL No 30

Any amendments needed much appreciated. Thanks Bob.

Red band near nose. tells user the bomb is a warshot round and contains HE.

Green (Eau de nil) band usually painted at the bombs widest point  or on the edge of the bombs Ogive, stencilled in yellow with the explosive fill type stencilled on band (i.e RDX/TNT or Torpex for example)

60/40  relates to the charge weight ratio how much explosive as a percentage of total weight (60% explosive /40% metal) MC bombs were nominally  around the 50% ish!  

S No 58 - each bomb is serial numbered in its lot.  

RDN 9 43 12 is the maker (RDN), date (9/43), and lot manufacturers lot number (12) . (this obviously changed  frequently!)

Bomb Identifier (1000lb MC)

WW2 british bombs were not usually fitted with a fuze but with a "bomb pistol" that was supplied fitted to  the bomb. Pistols do not contain explosives.  On preperation a seperate detonator  and exploders would be fitted in the fuze pocket usually  tail or sometimes with an additional pistol  the nose as well. ) on impact the firing pin of the pistol would strike the detonator. This bomb  would come supplied  fitted with a No 30 pistol

Stencilling was normally on the top of the bomb.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks very much for that, Selwyn, very good of you. I read that the bomb can be just tail fused or tail and nose fused? I've seen the bomb in photos sometimes have the small 'windmill-type' vanes on the nose and other times they look to have a pointed cone on the nose with a slot cut out on two opposing sides, so am I right in thinking that the cone nose on the front,with the four vaned 'windmill' on the tail would be good for a bomb listed in the Squadron operational record books as " fused, .025 tail"?

I've seen the RDX/TNT stencils on the green bands on heavy bomber bombs on trolleys but not as yet in any Typhoon shots. I think I read they used Amatol?

Big thanks again.

Cheers Bob.

22 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Thanks very much for that, Selwyn, very good of you. I read that the bomb can be just tail fused or tail and nose fused? I've seen the bomb in photos sometimes have the small 'windmill-type' vanes on the nose and other times they look to have a pointed cone on the nose with a slot cut out on two opposing sides, so am I right in thinking that the cone nose on the front,with the four vaned 'windmill' on the tail would be good for a bomb listed in the Squadron operational record books as " fused, .025 tail"?

I've seen the RDX/TNT stencils on the green bands on heavy bomber bombs on trolleys but not as yet in any Typhoon shots. I think I read they used Amatol?

Big thanks again.

Cheers Bob.

You are correct, the bombs could be fused with a pistol in the nose, or tail, or both. Selection of which was determined usually by the target characteristics in mission planning  before take off.   The type of explosive fill used in the bombs was not specific to aircraft type, this was wartime, bombs were filled with what explosive was available at the time and you used what you got. You might find a RDX /TNT fill bomb under one wing and an Amatol filled one under the other!

The ".025 tail " refers to the delay built into the tail fitted detonator so the bomb would explode .025 seconds after impact in this case  allowing  some penetration into the target, again determined before the mission. There was a large selection of detonators available  each with different delay times  to be used on different type targets. The "Windmills" are actually called "Arming vanes" by the way, irrespective of what position the pistols were fitted.

Selwyn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1