MIG-21UM forward airbrake .. a further question

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

Does any MIG expert out there have detailed images of this airbrake interior and housing? I’m trying build up a plasticard one for my 1/72 build. Thanks in advance.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

I checked the pictures I took at a one of these aircraft but unfortunately I have no detail of this area as the front airbrake was shut.

There's something visible in this walkaround, but very little is visible inside the airbrake. Still, it's better than anything else I found

http://www.tantopergioco.it/immagini/walkaround/walkaround-aerei-jet/nggallery/walkaround-aerei-jet/walkaround-mig-21um

3 hours ago, Silverkite said:

Probably is very similar to the one used on Mig-21 F-13 as they shared the same fuselage

Yes, maybe. so does anyone out there gave that? Any help really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Martin

7 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I checked the pictures I took at a one of these aircraft but unfortunately I have no detail of this area as the front airbrake was shut.

There's something visible in this walkaround, but very little is visible inside the airbrake. Still, it's better than anything else I found

http://www.tantopergioco.it/immagini/walkaround/walkaround-aerei-jet/nggallery/walkaround-aerei-jet/walkaround-mig-21um

Thanks Giorgio. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Martin

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all,

Does any MIG expert out there have detailed images of this airbrake interior and housing? I’m trying build up a plasticard one for my 1/72 build. Thanks in advance.

Martin

Martin,

The OOP 4+ Publications monograph on the Mig-21 has some photos of the front and rear speedbrakes and wells, IIRC. The best photo reference I could find was a very detailed walkaround from IPMS Nederland that has several good closeup photos of the forward speedbrake, its actuator, and well. I hope they will give you what you need. Waiting and keeping my fingers crossed that Eduard will include the 2-seaters when they do their 1/72 Mig-21's. BTW, I am NO Mig expert!

Mike

https://www.ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-vliegtuigen-jets/1444-walkaround-mig-21.html

Edited by 72modeler
added additional text

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

A further question - how was the rear airbrake disabldd when carrying a centreline tank? I cant see how it could have been used. Any thoughts?

thanks, 

Martin

Martin,

See the link below; it appears that when the centerline store carried a fuel tank, the aft speedbrake was disabled; I'm just guessing here that if the pistons were hydraulic, there was a valve forward of the rear speedbrake that cut off hydraulic fluid going to it. Just spitballing here, as they say. Sure would be nice to have a new, state of the art Mig-21UM in 1/72 scale! Hope this link helps.

Mike

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/kraft/mig1.htm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this. I thought that may be the case. I just couldn't see how it could have been extended with any tank on that centreline pylon. A mystery (for me) solved! 

Martin

18 minutes ago, Don McIntyre said:

I don't know if these will be helpful or not. It does look to be a very thin piece, but of course you can't see details other than that…

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1s6v6h93g/

Mi_G-21_UM4s_zps91041444.jpg

Mi_G-21_UM2s_zps1747d49e.jpg

Nice photos, Don! I'm guessing the TN Aviation  Museum in Sevierville? How is their UH-34D restoration coming along?  I go there every time I visit my sister in Seymour.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

For whatever it is worth.

Not sure about UM, but at least with MiG-21 BIS (produkt 75B) you had to pull a T-handle and then pry the forward speedbrake open for service. If the speedbrake hangs out wihtout the said process it is broken.

Not saying that you should not model the brake open.

Cheers,

Kari

Thanks Kari! That's my dream shattered! Actually I've seen shots of MIG-21bis and MIG-21MF with the forward brakes open and they were very alive! The rear brake in all if often seen part or fully opened on the ground. The is still hope ;) .........

Martin

On 1/24/2018 at 10:11 AM, 72modeler said:

Nice photos, Don! I'm guessing the TN Aviation  Museum in Sevierville? How is their UH-34D restoration coming along?  I go there every time I visit my sister in Seymour.

Mike

Yep, that's the one. I think their H-34 is finished. It's in SVNAF markings (well it was when I was there about three years ago)…

UH-341s_zps8313714e.jpg

UH-342s_zpsa3afc7b2.jpg

UH-343s_zps129538fd.jpg

UH-344s_zps1b28ec12.jpg

UH-345s_zps2fef54af.jpg

UH-346s_zps359f7a17.jpg

UH-357s_zps0bb7234b.jpg

Edited by Don McIntyre
Correct links for photos

2 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

Yep, that's the one. I think their H-34 is finished. It's in SVNAF markings (well it was when I was there about three years ago)…

UH-341s_zps8313714e.jpg

UH-342s_zpsa3afc7b2.jpg

UH-343s_zps129538fd.jpg

UH-344s_zps1b28ec12.jpg

UH-345s_zps2fef54af.jpg

UH-346s_zps359f7a17.jpg

UH-357s_zps0bb7234b.jpg

That's the one! Thanks for the photos, Don. As I recall, there were several sheet metal patches on the fuselage to repair hits from ground fire- a real veteran! I'm glad they put her in SVN markings as a tribute to all of those brave  aircrew and maintainers- they were a proud bunch and aggressive fliers!

Mike

• Like 1