RS Yale: help needed on cockpit colour(s)

Graham Boak

Started on my Yale, and after some time spent scraping the inside of the wing trailing edges to get a sharp result I moved on tp look at the instructions for the cockpit.  It says that all interiors are Zinc Chromate.  To me, that means bright greenish yellow., so my first reaction was strongly negative.  Thinking a little, I suspect this means the tinted zinc chromate normally referred to as Interior Green, although the actual shade seems to have varied from one US company to another.  I further suspect that the colour used by North American on its Mustangs, and possibly also its T-6s, has been mentioned on this forum before.   Possibly even the Dull Dark Green available from Colourcoats (ACUS24) or their Green Zinc Chromate (ACUS22).  But was either colour used on the earlier NA64 Yale, built in late 1939/early 1940?  Can anyone help here?

Edited by Graham Boak

There's an unrestored one here with some evidence of what may be original primer/paint inside on certain parts Graham.

http://sky4buy.com/NA-64-Yale-WWII-trainer-PROJECT-321851852278/04170

If I had to guess, I'd probably go with black tinted yellow zinc chromate. I think. Some parts look unpainted.

This one on the other hand gives a good impression of being unpainted inside:

6.jpg

...as does this one:

003.jpg

Thanks Jamie.  Aluminium was a common finish for interiors on prewar American aircraft, but not necessarily universal, and chronologically the Yales were perhaps sitting on the cusp of change.  With steel for the main framing tubes, as the rust shows.  Although not an immediate modelling project, presumably the earlier Harvard Mk.Is also had Aluminium interiors. 

Best Yale ref is Canadian Fletcher/Macphail Harvard book, which has several photos of uncovered fuselages and tubular structure and seat are definitely silver. BT-9 and export NA16 were also definitely silver.

OTOH, contemporary N.A. O-47 was Bronze Green, but I don't think that's the case here.  NAA seem to have been late converts to 'Interior Green'.....

• Like 1

There is an outfit in the States restoring a Yale to its original and it looks to me that their going with a sprayed aluminum interior finish . See for yourself , they're certainly putting a lot of care into the project!

http://legendofaces.com/na-64_3456.html

Edited by RUhavingfun
Spelling error
  • Like 1

They were delivered in aluminum and some stayed that way during the whole of their RCAF service.  Some were reconditioned later in the war by Noorduyn and these were retained in a Canadian version of Dull Dark Green.

Jim

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Thanks to all, Aluminium it is for I'm doing a pilot trainer.  Jim, I presume that those reconditioned were the wireless trainers.  Was this part of the conversion or something that occurred even later?

Even later; pretty late in the war.  Many, if not most, stayed aluminum.

Jim

• Like 1