Eduard 1/72..my first Spitfire

Valkyrie

Yes, first EVER Spitfire build. Eduard 1/72 Czech Squadron. With so many to pick from I loved the look of this. Tricky kit to get to this stage but great shape, lovely panel lines, finely engineered like the real thing...and although I love invasion stripes, this is my first attempt at painting them rather than decal. Not perfect but best I could do with my begginer skills. How to you get these stripes even and uniform? Thanks for stopping by...

987A57DA-7072-4139-91CA-45CB194E74FA

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Yes, first EVER Spitfire build. Eduard 1/72 Czech Squadron. With so many to pick from I loved the look of this. Tricky kit to get to this stage but great shape, lovely panel lines, finely engineered like the real thing...and although I love invasion stripes, this is my first attempt at painting them rather than decal. Not perfect but best I could do with my begginer skills. How to you get these stripes even and uniform? Thanks for stopping by...

Although I have about 10 Eduard Spitfires in the stash, I haven't made one yet but it does look complicated in the box.

Regarding invasion stripes, I would:

1) paint the area white with a spray can

2) use tape of the appropriate width to mask the white stripes

3) paint the black stripes

I hope it won't be your last Spitfire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beard said:

Although I have about 10 Eduard Spitfires in the stash, I haven't made one yet but it does look complicated in the box.

Regarding invasion stripes, I would:

1) paint the area white with a spray can

2) use tape of the appropriate width to mask the white stripes

3) paint the black stripes

I hope it won't be your last Spitfire.

Thanks Beard, I am glad you looked in as your spitfire marathon kick started me to get this on the go. Thanks for the pointers, I will give that a shot on my next Spitfire. The Eduard kit is brilliant, just not straight forward, great cockpit. I might try a 1/48 spit too 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eduard kits always look brilliant in the box but they are somewhat unforgiving. I've only built the 1/48 Spitfires (so far; I have the 1/72 Royal boxing to build) but most Eduard kits really require great care in positioning parts. I made a boo-boo on their 1/72 MiG-15 cockpit recently and it resulted in a chunky old gap on the fuselage.

The invasion stripes look good to me; but the mask and re-mask method Beard gives is absolutely the way to go for super-neat lines. Just remember to measure each strip twice as any differences in width will be surprisingly noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Just remember to measure each strip twice as any differences in width will be surprisingly noticeable.

I think invasion stripes on fighters were 18 inches wide. By my calculations, which may be wrong as I only have a CSE in Maths, that'd be 6.34 mm.

I'm lazy and use 6 mm Tamiya tape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Eduard kits always look brilliant in the box but they are somewhat unforgiving. I've only built the 1/48 Spitfires (so far; I have the 1/72 Royal boxing to build) but most Eduard kits really require great care in positioning parts. I made a boo-boo on their 1/72 MiG-15 cockpit recently and it resulted in a chunky old gap on the fuselage.

The invasion stripes look good to me; but the mask and re-mask method Beard gives is absolutely the way to go for super-neat lines. Just remember to measure each strip twice as any differences in width will be surprisingly noticeable.

Glad it’s not just me then, my only other Eduard was the MiG-15 and I errored in the cockpit too, nice kits when finished but unforgiving is great description. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

I think invasion stripes on fighters were 18 inches wide. By my calculations, which may be wrong as I only have a CSE in Maths, that'd be 6.34 mm.

I'm lazy and use 6 mm Tamiya tape.

Me too. I haven't got round to getting hold of 1/4" tape, which would be spot on. Assuming my maths is correct...

John.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johnd said:

Me too. I haven't got round to getting hold of 1/4" tape, which would be spot on. Assuming my maths is correct...

John.

My calculations agree with yours.

Just had a look for .25" tape, it's available on Amazon: around £4 for a 60 m (as we shouldn't mix metric and imperial, that's about 196'). I think I might order some, I'd never need to buy masking tape again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Is this the point where it's worth reminding one to check references? There are plenty of photos of invasion stripes that were not neatly applied, as can be seen here: http://spitfiresite.com/2007/12/painting-d-day-stripes-june-5th-1944.html

Absolutely. The ones applied for D-Day itself were apparently applied with yard brooms and all sorts of improvised implements. Bit of a rush job.

John.

• Like 1

I’m on my second Eduard 1/72 Spitfire.  They’re much easier and quicker than all the others I’ve done from Airfix, AZ, Frog etc.  Everything fits together nicely - use only liquid cement.

The best option for me would be profi-minus or weekend-plus, ie lots of decals, masks but forget all the PE apart from the belts!

cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
Recommend liquid cement
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the encouragement and help! A bit of decalling done and it’s really is beginning to look the part. Decals are very very nice.

Y

D5789694-B8A4-4DF2-998B-CCEA20AE7F7A

LD-O1RYUQ

• Like 6

19 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Is this the point where it's worth reminding one to check references? There are plenty of photos of invasion stripes that were not neatly applied, as can be seen here: http://spitfiresite.com/2007/12/painting-d-day-stripes-june-5th-1944.html

I was looking at the instruction sheet again today and the paint guide has the fuselage bands uneven and crooked in parts, so I based mine on that ha

• Like 2

You can’t fault the finite detail in this kit but here is an example of over complicated assembly. Fine for experienced modellers but for a weekend kit for a relative beginner I feel 6 parts per landing gear is a bit fiddly and unnecessary, but not moaning...

C268DB42-8339-4E20-B31C-6E8B5F5F76AA

• Like 2

That's looking great Valkyrie! I agree that this kit is a little complex, but the fit is so good that it's not too much of a problem: the cockpit and wheel wells in particular surprised me with how well everything went together despite having so many parts.

I wouldn't change your Invasion Stripe technique at all, they look just like the 'first day' type. You may want to use the 1/4" tape for the later 'summer' applied type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2018 at 12:07 PM, Valkyrie said:

Thanks for all the encouragement and help! A bit of decalling done and it’s really is beginning to look the part. Decals are very very nice.

I think your stripes are fine.  Looking forward to the finished result.  The only thing I'd watch out for on future builds is making sure there's no dihedral on the tailplanes.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking great Valkyrie! I agree that this kit is a little complex, but the fit is so good that it's not too much of a problem: the cockpit and wheel wells in particular surprised me with how well everything went together despite having so many parts.

I wouldn't change your Invasion Stripe technique at all, they look just like the 'first day' type. You may want to use the 1/4" tape for the later 'summer' applied type.

I am going to invest in this tape as I’m going to definitely be making this again AND I do love an invasion striped bird...what am I looking for and where will I get it? Tamiya stuff? Thanks for the comments

27 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

I think your stripes are fine.  Looking forward to the finished result.  The only thing I'd watch out for on future builds is making sure there's no dihedral on the tailplanes.  

Thanks! They could be neater I suppose but they will do. I hadn’t noticed the tailplanes, are they meant to be poker straight? I need to look properly at instructions. Thanks for that as i defo want to do more spits...

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks! They could be neater I suppose but they will do. I hadn’t noticed the tailplanes, are they meant to be poker straight? I need to look properly at instructions. Thanks for that as i defo want to do more spits...

For aircraft such as the Spitfire and the Mustang that would be the case.  Keep the Spits coming, I'll always take a look.  It's high time I finished one myself!

• Like 1