Caribou paint colour/Decal problem (RAAF)

Jabba

I am now totally pigged off with this scheme. After applying a final coat of Hu121, I reached for the decal sheet as I am going to photocopy it today so that I can match up some of the scheme with the markings where they cross over such as the nose No and the fully written RAAF on the fuselage. To my horror I found that the colours on this do not now match with what I have painted, the badge on the tail should match this colour and it is nowhere near. Yes I know that some people who have replied to some of my questions will be saying told you so, and so I should. I am sure that someone has mentioned the tail emblem but I cannot find who. So what I am now going to do is add the darker Tan/Brown which the original question was all about as I do not want to paint the whole model again and then try and find a match for the lighter Tan when I have done this. I think having looked at model already in this colour the paint I used in the first place will not be that bad after all. As Andy F117 has already said I should have trusted what other people were saying rather than what I was seeing.

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

I am now totally pigged off with this scheme. After applying a final coat of Hu121, I reached for the decal sheet as I am going to photocopy it today so that I can match up some of the scheme with the markings where they cross over such as the nose No and the fully written RAAF on the fuselage. To my horror I found that the colours on this do not now match with what I have painted, the badge on the tail should match this colour and it is nowhere near. Yes I know that some people who have replied to some of my questions will be saying told you so, and so I should. I am sure that someone has mentioned the tail emblem but I cannot find who. So what I am now going to do is add the darker Tan/Brown which the original question was all about as I do not want to paint the whole model again and then try and find a match for the lighter Tan when I have done this. I think having looked at model already in this colour the paint I used in the first place will not be that bad after all. As Andy F117 has already said I should have trusted what other people were saying rather than what I was seeing.

Hi mate  I've got four of those Humbrol colour charts and none of them look quite the same. I thought H62( matt leather) might be a contender for what your looking for. I've got a part pot of Authentic colour HM 21(leather), was that the colour you said was discontinued?. Give me a phone as I've still got a lot of paints from that collection. cheers Chris

On 1/21/2018 at 11:21 AM, chris57 said:

I don't know! Why can't you just do grey on Gray( for our colonial cuzzins) like the rest of us.:dalek1:

If it was only that easy...

A lot of the colours tend towards Vietnam War shading with greens, OD, etc being favoured around the pacific rim countries.

The Caribou was a fantastic aircraft, but slightly on the noisy side though! I still distinctly remember doing a simulated combat approach into RAAF Richmond and looking UP through the cockpit roof to see the runway we were going to land on!

Fun times!

I thoroughly enjoyed the show the Caribou put on at the Classic Fighters Airshow in Blenheim, over the hill from us & determined to build one in similar scheme. I think it was a green green black scheme but maybe green tan black or ......., better consult the pics I took at the time. :unsure::)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the ideas with the paints. I now think that I have got there with the FS30219 colour in that I have used the Vallejo 70.874 paint which seems to be close to the colour that is in some of the photos. It may not be totally correct, but it is close to the colour of the badge on the tail and was so much better looking than what I had applied before.

resized_0187f6ca-198a-4e90-b99a-d5944fba

resized_ceb52599-b63f-4ea8-8641-3425d2d0

resized_3aaa8862-d74d-4b17-9eff-6b6a1d52

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember flying in the 'bou as a passenger when I was a digger in the Army way back in the late 1970s.   I remember returning from an exercise where the pilot and crew were flying an all white aircraft with the big letters "UN" on the side - they had just returned from Kashmir where the RAAF had a commitment to the peacekeeping force at the time.   The pilot flew us like he flew in Kashmir.  He loaded us on, we went down the runway and he literally bounced us into the air to get us up quicker.   He took off, went about ten feet into the air and let it down suddenly, leaving our stomachs behind when we hit and left the runway the second time.   Most amazing experience, better than any rollercoaster that I've been on.  You could feel the wings bend when we made contact.   Anyway, up we went!

Your model looks good but a bit "green" - not faded as it would have been in the Australian sun very quickly after leaving the painting bay.   I did a V-22 in this scheme for a What-if.   It was remarked upon by someone who was working on the V-22 design office and he asked if he could show pictures of it to his colleagues.  I suggested he might like to use them in a sales effort.  :D

1001880n.jpg

11 hours ago, rickshaw said:

I remember flying in the 'bou as a passenger when I was a digger in the Army way back in the late 1970s.   I remember returning from an exercise where the pilot and crew were flying an all white aircraft with the big letters "UN" on the side - they had just returned from Kashmir where the RAAF had a commitment to the peacekeeping force at the time.   The pilot flew us like he flew in Kashmir.  He loaded us on, we went down the runway and he literally bounced us into the air to get us up quicker.   He took off, went about ten feet into the air and let it down suddenly, leaving our stomachs behind when we hit and left the runway the second time.   Most amazing experience, better than any rollercoaster that I've been on.  You could feel the wings bend when we made contact.   Anyway, up we went!

Your model looks good but a bit "green" - not faded as it would have been in the Australian sun very quickly after leaving the painting bay.   I did a V-22 in this scheme for a What-if.   It was remarked upon by someone who was working on the V-22 design office and he asked if he could show pictures of it to his colleagues.  I suggested he might like to use them in a sales effort.  :D

1001880n.jpg

Very good rendition, just out of interest for future reference what paint colours have you used?. Chris

14 hours ago, chris57 said:

Very good rendition, just out of interest for future reference what paint colours have you used?. Chris

I used Vallejo Acrylics.  All with a few drops of white in them to fade them a little.

I am now totally %$**&&%£"(&^^%$EVERTON&***$%"$"(*&^$ off with this project as title is now slightly changed. Last night I started to apply the decals to the model, but did not get that far. The first ones I applied were the animal badges to the tail which you can see in the first photo. To my surprise these seemed to be a little darker than what they appeared on the decal sheet and should really be something akin to the lighter Brown. Then I applied the Kangaroo to the Black circle shape on the rear fuselage and the decal totally disappeared, which is shown in the second photo. If anyone can see the Kangaroo please let me know as again it is meant to the something like the lighter Brown and should stand out a lot better than it is now. In the third photo if you look at the RAAF title shown as decal 1 and 208 as decal 3 you can is a lighter Tan. I am now at a loss as to what to do as this spoiled a night of modelling.

Tail Badges

resized_da25d84c-b369-472c-9105-69482437

Find the Kangaroo in the Black circle.

resized_e0b7d607-f771-473b-a05d-1665c6f2

The colouring should be like decal 3 and 1 ( as in the full RAAF title shown here).

resized_377ed7d3-5255-4b28-97c9-1f6dcafb

Edited by Jabba
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Use the black titles/markings.  

Sorry to say that that is not the option that I want to build, if you look at the accompanying photos on this thread, as most of the time the photos show it with the contrasting colour markings.

Jabba,

I have had the same issue with the laser printed version of the Aussie Decals sheet. Pretty sure they are not Alps printed. I built a Dambuster Lanc a few years back and attempted to use the Aussie printed code letters, they almost disappeared on the black of the fuselage.

39401664114_17a24a9c43_o.jpg

The A and J are kit decals and the N from Aussie, I too was not impressed. I managed to get a replacement from an Xtradecal codes sheet.

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Jabba,

I have had the same issue with the laser printed version of the Aussie Decals sheet. Pretty sure they are not Alps printed. I built a Dambuster Lanc a few years back and attempted to use the Aussie printed code letters, they almost disappeared on the black of the fuselage.

39401664114_17a24a9c43_o.jpg

The A and J are kit decals and the N from Aussie, I too was not impressed. I managed to get a replacement from an Xtradecal codes sheet.

Thanks for that Ray unfortunately I think this decal sheet is my only option. I was wondering now that hopefully I have two sheets would it be better to try and double up on some of the individual markings so that the colours are more denser?

I'd say that would be the way to go.

And if that fails I have just checked my decal stash and found I have one of the screen printed versions of the sheet (A72027), I won't be building mine in the 'pizza' scheme so I could send you the applicable parts for your scheme.

• Like 1