Caribou paint colour/Decal problem (RAAF)

Jabba

I am currently making a RAAF Caribou in their Brown/Tan/Black paint scheme. I can find the Tan and Black colours, but the paint chart on the decal instruction sheet quote FS30109 for the Brown colour but I cannot find an equivalent paint for this colour. I have looked on the IPMS Stockholm website colour chart and although they do give a paint mix using Humbrol paints, one of these paints is now discontinued. If anyone could give some advise I would be very grateful. I do normally use Humbrol paints.

Edited by Jabba

10 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Try Vallejo 70.982 Cavalry Brown as an equivalent to FS30109.

However that appears to dark so I'd recommend lightening it a bit with a few drops of white.

Also, Lifecolor makes FS30109, but it's acrylic. I don't use acrylics, but the color should be pretty easy to mix from Humbrol 70, if you can find a paint chip to use as a reference. Floquil used to make a color that was a match to FS30109 in their Railroad Colors line- they called it Roof Brown,  but it is long, long OOP!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected paint supplier

Thanks all for your suggestion. It was strange a work colleague and I were looking through the Humbrol colour chart this morning before I got onto a computer and had thought that Humbrol 70 would be a good match.  So I think that I will go with that.

Can I chip in here, now I’m not disregarding that FS30109 and Humbrol 70 are too far off, however to my eye I’m starting to think that perhaps the instructions are leading everyone down the wrong path. If the scheme I’m thinking of is the right one, I reckon there’s more of an orange tinge involved than this brick red colour.

The good thing is you can always buy a tin of H70 and experiment with the other colours, however I would not disregard an orange-ish paint at this point yet. Sorry - I’m unable to suggest another alternative either but there’s plenty of dedicated FS30109 paints around from Life Colour and Italeri just to name a few. 

Either way, good luck.. Dave 

Nice link, thanks.. 

Fair enough re. FS30109.. my daughter keeps telling me that all my models are the wrong colour, so perhaps I need my eyes tested if they actually can be corrected? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Fwiw, I've been under the impression that Hu 100 is a better colour for dull roundel red & to my eye would be a better starting point for the red camo colour on the Caribous, it also looks more like online colour chips of 30109, to my eyes anyway.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Can I chip in here, now I’m not disregarding that FS30109 and Humbrol 70 are too far off, however to my eye I’m starting to think that perhaps the instructions are leading everyone down the wrong path. If the scheme I’m thinking of is the right one, I reckon there’s more of an orange tinge involved than this brick red colour.

The good thing is you can always buy a tin of H70 and experiment with the other colours, however I would not disregard an orange-ish paint at this point yet. Sorry - I’m unable to suggest another alternative either but there’s plenty of dedicated FS30109 paints around from Life Colour and Italeri just to name a few. 

Either way, good luck.. Dave 

The friend I mentioned and I did discuss the orange tinge that the paintwork has when I showed him some of the pictures of the aircraft that I had printed off to look at. Then when we looked at others it seemed to be more of a browner colour, mainly due to light conditions of the original photo, so that is why we decided upon Humbrol 70 as it seemed to be somewhere in the middle of the colour that we could see in the photos. When I did a google of FS30109 it did come up with a Lifecolor paint, but as I use a hairy stick and I have problems with these paints before I decided to give them a miss early on in my decision making. 

Again thanks to all that have made suggestions on this subject.

Thought I'd add my two cents,

Waay back in September1989 we had several RAAF DHC-4 Caribous operating out of HMAS Albatross in various wrap around camo schemes, one in all greens, one in greens and brown, one in desert camo and the one and only Gravel Truck in pink/red/black (can't find the pics at present for that one).

I took some (very) quick pics of A4-208 over two days in passing in the camo scheme you're discussing, the quality is not great but I hope they help, BTW, the same camera and roll of film on both days. You'll notice how the upper surfaces are a tad faded compared to the fuse sides, the faded areas of FS30109 do look a bit "orange", and the the slightly differing light levels changes the hue considerably.

First day,

39788352621_d3d3143117_o.jpgDHC-4 Caribou A4-208  Sep1989cropS by Neil, on Flickr

39756618112_5d1dfafaa5_o.jpgDHC-4 Caribou A4-208  Sep1989acropS by Neil, on Flickr

39788358561_f64927266a_o.jpgDHC-4 Caribou A4-208  Sep1989bS by Neil, on Flickr

38889313915_fb03df5bbd_o.jpgDHC-4 Caribou A4-208  Sep1989cS by Neil, on Flickr

Second day,

38889311095_4fabd731e6_o.jpgDHC-4 Caribou A4-208  Sep1989dcropS by Neil, on Flickr

39756593082_ea6cd7e572_o.jpgDHC-4 Caribou A4-208  Sep1989ecropS by Neil, on Flickr

39756590152_188feb47aa_o.jpgDHC-4 Caribou A4-208  Sep1989fcropS by Neil, on Flickr

I hope these pics help resolve the issue,

Regards :D

Neil B)B)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FAAMAN said:

Thought I'd add my two cents,

Waay back in September1989 we had several RAAF DHC-4 Caribous operating out of HMAS Albatross in various wrap around camo schemes, one in all greens, one in greens and brown, one in desert camo and the one and only Gravel Truck in pink/red/black (can't find the pics at present for that one).

I took some (very) quick pics of A4-208 over two days in passing in the camo scheme you're discussing, the quality is not great but I hope they help, BTW, the same camera and roll of film on both days. You'll notice how the upper surfaces are a tad faded compared to the fuse sides, the faded areas of FS30109 do look a bit "orange", and the the slightly differing light levels changes the hue considerably.

I hope these pics help resolve the issue,

Regards :D

Neil B)B)

Yup, Hu 100, maybe lightened a tad for the faded bits but I reckon it'd be pretty good. Try it, you'll like it. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for those photos, they have helped with other things as well. Unfortunately they have now thrown up a different problem. Having just finished painting the model in the lighter tan colour which is  suggested as FS30219 on the colour chart of the decal instructions, this seems ever so dark (Very Brown instead of Tan) when compared to the colour in those photos. Now what to do? Has anyone any suggestions.

That’s a shame. Sounds like the only way out is to re-paint the whole model in a more appropriate colour. To be honest, I’d probably test all three colours together on a test piece first as you may find that one of the colours may also throw out another. FS30219 is the Vietnam era US Tan if I’m not mistaken. This is also another colour that’s not easy to get right and I would say may differ from one paint manufacturer to the next. What brand paint have you been using? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Yes it is Vietnam tan and I was using the Hataka brush acrylic version. The colour in those photos really looks like a Light Tan or Sand. Looking at the Humbrol colour chart maybe Pale Stone 121?

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

With so much surface area to hand paint I’d probably avoid mixing colours and find something straight out of the tin. If your decals are right, I suspect that the 38 Sqd tail motif decal is in the correct colour that your after. You might have to play trial and error at your LHS until you find a paint that your happy with. I’d also buy a tin of Humbrol 100 while your at it! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Computer screen images of Humbrol 100 & 121 look to be closer IMO, so I think there a good start. 

Good luck and looking forward to seeing this thing once complete. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Can't comment on the accuracy of the paint you're using, but the decal instructions are correct regarding the FS numbers of the actual colours:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/219149/message/1172383660/A4-208+colours

http://www.network54.com/Forum/219149/message/1172401770/re+A4-208

Those are the same colours that are quoted on the decal instruction sheet, but when I applied the FS 30219 (which is similar to Humbrol 119) colour it was way too dark for the colour that is in those photos above. I did google that FS number and when I saw some of the images that came along some of the colouring was similar to that in the photo above.  I have now applied a couple of coats of Humbrol 121 over the paint that has already been applied and it looks a lot better.

• Like 1

Not adding any detail to this topic, but i recall in the late 80s, seeing flying over Sydney 4 Caribou(must have been the ones mentioned by FAAMAN), at the flight altitude ,one appeared green, one very dark ,can't recall the 3rd one- must have been brown (they were all very different schemes) and one distinctly pink.

At altitude it all merged into one shade!.

I have mentioned this over the years,no one believes (or wants to) the pink one.

Edited by Fredag

From memory (which is still very good mind you), the first photo, the undercarriage pic and the pic of the 'Boo being refueled are the closest to the actual colour, when in full sun it appears to 'bleach' as two of the pics show and when seen from above (from a hovering RAN UH-1B) it was very noticeably faded in areas, mostly along fasteners and rivet lines and the small buckles in the skin. No the above pics did not come out, ever try to take 'steady pics from a shakin' tree??:nah::nah:

AndyF117 love your 'Boo pics, gonna grab them if I canB)

Fredag the pink 'Boo really existed, looking for the pics since Sunday, no luck. The tan areas on other RAAF 'Boo's was a 'desert pink' on this one, can't remember it's tail no. but it had black and a faded version (maybe 30%) of the red brown just like A4-408.

Regards all:D

Neil B)B)

• Like 1