Lockheed L1011 Tristar

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

Number 10 squadron I presume  

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Is that your plan?

The Orion that I plan to do will be 10SQN. I thought I would get this one done first since it has been in the stash for a very long time, and have built 4 Orions so far with No.5 at decal stage and Nos 6 & 7 in early construction stages.

6 hours ago, oggy4624 said:

I am assuming that you intend to do a -100 Orbital Sciences bird - looking forward to that.

I am halfway through a 216 Sqn Eastern Express -500.

Yep, -100. Not sure what model the Airfix kit is supposed to represent :D but I will build it mostly OOB. I also have the Pegasus booster to mount under it.

The airfix kit is a -1, the main difference with the 100 is the latter has uprated engines, the -500 hasd the shorter fuselage and longer range.

I also have the -1 and -100 to build ((delta and gulf air) but I have seen the orbital science one and may do that instead.

The difference between the ex BA  and Pan Am -500 in service with the RAF is the BA ones has an extea small aft cargo bay door (the Pan Am ones were operated by 216 on behalf of the MOD Army)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Where is the 10 in this?

OK, so the '10' in L1011 is not obvious, like you other aircraft designations in the chat thread like Me 110, 210, 410 etc

Disregard this topic - please delete at your will.

I will just build the 10SQN Orion.

1 hour ago, Graeme H said:

I believe that all it's life it was called a Lockheed Ten Eleven Tristar, and it's IATA 3 letter code is L10 

Up to you though

That I can understand; I've always known this as a Thousand-eleven

15 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

OK, so the '10' in L1011 is not obvious, like you other aircraft designations in the chat thread like Me 110, 210, 410 etc

Disregard this topic - please delete at your will.

I will just build the 10SQN Orion.

See Graeme's explanation to me.

I've always known the Tristar as the thousand - eleven, never as a ten-eleven

Now we've got that cleared up; carry on, as you were

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had wondered if a "Ten Eleven" would be acceptable for this group build, will watch your build with interest.

As I've got the 26decals boxing (BA Landor) for the Tristar, it might make an appearance later depending on how quickly I get on with my DC-10.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...