1960's 1/28th Scale KSN Midori N1K2-J George, with motor

KSN Midori was a Japanese Model Airplane company that was in business from the mid 1960s to 1970.  Back then, they created what would be today considered "Uber kits."  The had magnificent box art and truly advanced and clever 1/28th scale model airplanes.  Each of these kits came with an electric motor, mechanical gear box/mechanical computer, which would drive the propeller, operate the flaps (on some kits), and had a drive shaft that rotated the tail wheel for forward taxing on the ground!  It even had lighted navigation lights!  The batteries were ingeniously hidden in the forward fuselage on a tray that slid out, and were accessed by taking the cowling off.  The kit was set in motion by turning the control stick to the center position! I had two of these kits and decided to build one.  This kit didn't have the operating flaps and I left the nav lights on steady bright.  I tried to build this kit as closely to 1960s standards as I could.  I was able to use most of the kits nearly 50 year old decals, but one ripped so I borrowed the fuselage hinomarus from an old Sunny Model, George, that fit perfectly.  I had an absolute blast building this kit.  

I hope you enjoy this!  I think if you click on the photos of the prop spinning, it will direct you to the Flickr page and you can see the plane in action.  The stand was put under the fuselage to keep it from taxing into other parked planes.

photo 1 (4)

photo (4)photo 2 (3)054

Powered tail wheel by drive shaft and pinion gear.

I love how the engine coughs and sputters like the real thing running on late war "Marianas gas."  Can also see the navigation lights are on.

Edited by CMSCHLOM
sentence
  • Like 11

• CMSCHLOM changed the title to 1960's 1/28th Scale KSN Midori N1K2-J George, with motor

Very nice. I'm enjoying seeing more and more of these Vintage , or near vintage builds . They are a return to the grass roots  of what inspired many of us in our modelling and  help us rediscover some of the inspiration that we felt then.