F10 Saab Draken (1/72 Revell/Hasegawa)

When this GB was announced I looked into my stash for potential subjects and couldn't find many with a 10. I've already built an A-10, I don't have an F-10 Skyknight yet, sure I had a 109G-10 but wasn't convinced. Then I started looking at units with a 10 in their name and found a few for which I had kits. The 10 Sqn. Canberra however would have required way more time than a standard GB (Hi Planes kit...) while the 10th Gruppo F-104S is something I've already built. Then I realised I had exactly what I needed, a Draken !

F10 was a "Flygflottilij", a unit roughly corresponding to a wing, of the Swedish Flygvapnet. From what I understand the wing still exists and is still based at Angelholm, however has been renamed Skanska Flygflottilij. I'm sure some modeller with a good command of the Swedish language will correct me and will explain the proper organisation of this unit, however for the moment what matters is that the unit had a 10 in their name and, even better, this number was carried on the fuselage of the aircrafts serving within the wing.

Of the many aircrafts used by F10, the Draken is particularly important as this unit operated the type for 34 years !

There are a number of reasons why I've chosen the Draken, one is that is a nice kit ! The 1/72 Revell kit is simply a rebox of the Hasegawa offering, a modern kit with nice surface detail and hopefully good fit. Detail in some areas is not great, there are a number of aftermarket products around that improve things a lot but I'm not going to bother for this build.

The kit was bought from a fellow Britmodeller through the market section of the forum and arrived in a ziplocked plastic bag

ec5d3461-4404-428a-8423-4c8877bf52e5.JPG

The kit is moulded in a hard white plastic, I generally like Hasegawa plastic a lot, it's hard enough to retain good details but it's still easy enough to work with. Some parts had already been separated from their sprues and painted by the previous owner and a couple had been glued together, I had already removed the paint where needed and will live with the glued parts. I'm sure this is less than 25% built..

Some parts are not shown as they are in smaller bags, to avoid losing them I decided not to touch them until needed.

da192e32-2639-4589-8c7f-fa0e14683a5e.JPG

d680d535-94f1-4af8-8731-54f7e0d7c5ed.JPG

1320744c-6d44-4ead-a802-b79914881e04.JPG

c038f7c7-2865-4dee-9a69-e78a7a7a737b.JPG

The decal sheet includes an Austrian commemorative aircraft (that graced the cover of the original Revell box), a second Austrian aircraft in standard camo and one Swedish aircraft.. of course from F10. Inside the bag is also a set of Airfix decals for another F10 aircraft and one from F13, added by the previous owner.

d1e01902-e638-4d68-8559-00e819757a11.JPG

The plan is of course to build an F10 aircraft, if possible using the original olive-blue-grey scheme. It's IMHO a great looking scheme, way nicer than the more recent two-grey scheme. The model will be built pretty much OOB, I may improve something here and there but I don't want to get carried away. The previous model I started was the Gnat I'm building for the Matchbox GB and I'd really like something quick and easy here...

As the model built before the Gnat was a Norwegian Starfighter, the Draken will also make a nice companion to that, if everything goes according to plans I should have a nice nordic duo..

• Like 10

On 16/1/2018 at 8:07 PM, Valkyrie said:

Hooooo yesss! Looking forward to this Giorgio!!! 

Thanks, hope the result is worth the expectations... I've alredy hit a problem unfortunately, more on this later

On 16/1/2018 at 11:15 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great choice Giorgio ... I love the lines on Draken’s 👍 Im really looking forward to this one. 

Hope I can do justice to the beautiful lines of this aircraft ! I believe it's one of the most recognisable designs of all times, really is a beauty

On 17/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, exdraken said:

great choice!

would not have thought on F10!

I thought of F10 browsing through some pictures in a book, I knew that Swedish aircrafts carried the wing number on the fuselage but it was only when I saw the pictures that I realised that I had a Draken in the stash from F10... at that point it was an easy choice

On 17/1/2018 at 4:04 PM, CliffB said:

One I considered too (but the 1/100 Ben Hobby kit), but this looks a much nicer choice :popcorn:

Cliff

Never heard of the Ben Hobby kit, is it related to the old Tamiya line ? This Revell/Hasegawa kit is indeed a nice one, cockpit is simplified like in most Hasegawa 1/72 kits but the moulding is first class

• Like 3

So first update is not good... as said before, I bought this partly started from a fellow modeller. I thought all parts were included, I'm sure I checked when I received the kit, however I realised yesterday that the instrument panel is missing. Now I have a number of alternatives to ponder:

1) Scratchbuild the panel. Not too difficult, afterall I can simply cut some thin plasticard following the shape of the decal supplied with the kit. Ok, it's easy enough but the shape isn't really the simplest and the panel is pretty small. Cutting one accurately is going to need a lot of care.

2) Buy a PE set, this would supply the panel and a few other bits, like seat belts and so on. Problem here is that the only PE sets for the Draken are pretty expensive, I'm not sure I'm happy with this

3) Buy a full resin cockpit, for example the one from Pavla. This is going to cost like the PE set but would be easier to work with. The problem is that the model already has the cockpit tub glued to the fuselage, I'd have to destroy this to make room for the resin parts.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

So first update is not good... as said before, I bought this partly started from a fellow modeller. I thought all parts were included, I'm sure I checked when I received the kit, however I realised yesterday that the instrument panel is missing. Now I have a number of alternatives to ponder:

1) Scratchbuild the panel. Not too difficult, afterall I can simply cut some thin plasticard following the shape of the decal supplied with the kit. Ok, it's easy enough but the shape isn't really the simplest and the panel is pretty small. Cutting one accurately is going to need a lot of care.

2) Buy a PE set, this would supply the panel and a few other bits, like seat belts and so on. Problem here is that the only PE sets for the Draken are pretty expensive, I'm not sure I'm happy with this

3) Buy a full resin cockpit, for example the one from Pavla. This is going to cost like the PE set but would be easier to work with. The problem is that the model already has the cockpit tub glued to the fuselage, I'd have to destroy this to make room for the resin parts.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

I guess scratching it is the way forward!

alternatively, if yo plan to do an Austrian or maybe Danish Draken one day, you could invest into this resin set, that basically ads a new cockpit and a tail cone with chaff and flare dispensers as found in Danish and late Austrian Draken:

of course a PE panel is included as well ;)

http://www.ipms.at/ipms/product_info.php?info=p158_Umbausatz-SAAB-35OE-Draken-Mk-II.html&XTCsid=51i6dftqh50dj4a54lihfpa2q0

• Like 3

On 23/01/2018 at 9:47 AM, Giorgio N said:

Never heard of the Ben Hobby kit, is it related to the old Tamiya line ?

Yes, it's a 1980s re-boxing of the 1960s Tamiya kit.  Simple but neat.  Three new decal options in the Ben issue, including a Finnish aircraft (but no extra parts ;)).

You may see it yet....

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Lovely idea to build a F 10 aircraft! 

Why didn't I think of that...? 

The F 10 wing was unfortunatly disbanded and the airbase closed in 2002. I work as a volunteer at the museum we started in one of the hangars. 

It's a very popular museum that is completely run by volunteers. (Around 20 000 visitors/year). 

licluBB.jpg

03cYauN.jpg

yehTNkL.jpg

x6KaShc.jpg

AnRfD3Q.jpg

About the kit... 

The Hasegawa/Revell kit is a wonderful, easy to build kit. The fit is decent if you're careful and the only place where there will be a gap to fill is below the tail section. 

There are a ton of aftermarket for this kit, both resin and etch. Most of these aren't really needed since the cockpit is really small and if the canopy is closed none of it will be seen. 

Here are a few detail shots of the J 35J cockpit (the J 35F is similar). 

ziAunWZ.jpg

LbdjMsJ.jpg

Cuv1oXH.jpg

8PrTFib.jpg

042OhCJ.jpg

I have lots and lots of leftover aftermarket stuff and decals for the Draken in 1:72. 

If you're interested send me a PM and I can send you some for free... :-) 

Andreas

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Andreas ! Sorry, I missed your post and only saw it today, thanks a lot for the pictures, they are very, very nice ! I'll likely ask you a few questions during this build.

Thanks for the offer of the leftover bits too, PM inbound

I've not started properly yet with the model as I'm trying to finish another one for the Matchbox GB first. As soon as this is completed, I'll start with the Draken

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, time to start building this one !

I know I should have started earlier but I'm glad I've waited a few weeks as I recently received a small bag of very nice goodies from Andreas, that I'd like to thank a lot !

The side effect of this is that now this build will not be OOB anymore but I'll try to add some detail to the model. Well, I'm sure nobody here will complain of this... :lol:

Pictures coming soon !

• Like 3

Hi Giorgio,

A typical feature of a parked Draken are dropping flaps while the pressure from system goes down. You may already have resin parts from Maestro Models for that? If not then it can be ignored or with some work done yourself as even I was able to do that - before the resin kit existed ;)

Cheers,

AaCee