Revell 1/144 Corvette

On 1/15/2018 at 6:52 PM, longshanks said:

and I'm sitting here waiting for you to begin......

Just saying .....

:wink:

Kev

On 1/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, JohnWS said:

Me too! :popcorn:

On 1/15/2018 at 9:49 PM, beefy66 said:

:popcorn:  :popcorn:

And me

Al, I can only agree with my learned brethren - I rather thought there'd be more builds of the 1/144 offering than have appeared to date.

Good luck with the Shapeways offerings, I've been really satisfied with mine and at last they've reduced the (punitive) postal costs.

I've been thinking of producing some Corvette specific decals.  Conscious of your Excellent sheet, how did you go about it?

It would be nice to print off ship names on the aft "name plate" together with depth charge "round bands" indicating ?live charges.  I'm also really keen to print off some bow /stern "depth" markings in white but need to research how to do this.  

Were you aware of these?.......

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YNWZLR2E7/1-144-merchant-navy-set701?optionId=63575648

https://www.zinnfigur.com/en/Round-Figures/Blank-kits/Manufacturers-M-N/Munich-Kits/Royal-Navy-Seamen-1939-45.html?force_sid=kpo4btqk7lfofmd41dp9pu0gh7

There's a minimum order for the "Munich-kit"  of 4 sets.  I'll be ordering some sooner or later - I suspect Kev "Longshanks" will take a set - let me know if you are interested.

Best Regards

Rob

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

There's a minimum order for the "Munich-kit"  of 4 sets.  I'll be ordering some sooner or later - I suspect Kev "Longshanks" will take a set - let me know if you are interested

Cor! Now 've got you and her spending my money ......

I'm in, might even take two sets. They look good, anyone seen the real thing.

Do Shapeways/other print 1/144 RN WWII?

Kev

• Like 2

I'm going to Berlin in August. If I have time I plan to actually visit the Zinnfigure shop, its not far from Berlin Zoo, and get some of the RN sets and see what other goodies they have.

If someone is contemplating a mail order and needs to make up numbers I'd be happy to order a couple of sets.

P

Edited by PDH

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Cor! Now 've got you and her spending my money ......

I'm in, might even take two sets. They look good, anyone seen the real thing.

Do Shapeways/other print 1/144 RN WWII?

Kev

;) ..........to spending your money!

There are 2 RN sets though to my mind neither are very "Corvette"

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QY6GMRM22/1-144-royal-navy-seamen-set102?optionId=63592147

https://www.shapeways.com/product/F46HNL5W4/1-144-royal-navy-seamen-set-101?optionId=63453485

2 hours ago, PDH said:

I'm going to Berlin in August. If I have time I plan to actually visit the Zinnfigure shop, its not far from Berlin Zoo, and get some of the RN sets and see what other goodies they have.

If someone is contemplating a mail order and needs to make up numbers I'd be happy to order a couple of sets.

P

Thanks P - may take you up nearer the time - depending on progress with HMCS Eyebright.

And sorry to Al for monopolizing his thread

Rob

Rob

Coincidentally, I have just received the Shapeways 1/72 RN figures:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N42V6T68C/1-72-royal-navy-seamen-set101?optionId=63331179

They're good. All in square rig, a number in "interesting" poses. A little on the large size and the arms/hands could benefit from a bit more time in the design process.  All the figures appear to have the same facial features although hats are at different angles.

I have also seen (on-line) the munich-Kits 1/144 figures.  These didn't tease me enough to want to buy them. I didn't see the minimum order.  However, if you want to make up the numbers count me in for a set.

I've had some 1/144 scale dollies which I made 10 years ago (or more) so I'm going to look at them over the next couple of weeks to see what I can do with them. I have been trying to teach myself the old 3D design which seems to be a process of for every small stride forward, there is a huge pace backwards.  The process makes you understand the skill-sets that you don't have.  However I am nearly at a point where I can start t thing about printing some basic stuff.

Obviously I'm working on designing RN figures which when they are ready to print, can be produced in any scale.  The only point I am anticipating is that in the smaller scales (1/72 and smaller), some of the detail will need to be accentuated to make then easier to paint.

Regarding transfers, my sheets are designed using CorelDraw, but any basic drawing software should be able to do the job.  The only point I would note is that whatever you're designing, separate your colours (basically draw an outline and then colour it in).  I have made enquiries about getting my sheet printed but because it's designed with colours overlaid, it can't be done (at reasonable cost).

For home made transfers, "depth" markings in white would require white transfer paper (because unless you have an Alps printer you can't print in white ink). You need to print the colour(s) of the hull leaving the markings white.  It shouldn't be too difficult to merge into the paintwork particularly if the hull is weathered heavily.

So regard the Corvette build - I'm at the thoughtful, planning stage at the moment!

Al